Trayvon Martin Killing

Eric83

• Members

But as it pertains to this discussion, that destructive element is what Trayvon and millions of kids like him are emulating, and that is the source of the problem. And for the record, I feel the same way about punk and heavy metal, which are almost exclusively white. But in that video Dr. Tucker said that even during SLAVERY they sang songs of hope, and faith, and of freedom. Things are certainly more hopeful for the youth of today than they were in the early 1800's. Basically she was saying people need to stop making excuses for themselves, and break the cycle of violence, because as you said, Trayvon was much more likley to be killed by his own people, statistically. And that is sad. United people stand, divided they fall, and glorifying the killing of each other does no good for anyone. Sure there are rappers out there that don't do that type of thing, but are they at the top of the charts? Do they have huge visbility? Do they even make up 25% of the totality of rap music released? That answer would be no. It's basically throwing a bone to america to say "Look, we're not ALL bad" when in truth there is 2 good apples and 100 rotten ones in the barrel.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not going to address this though I do think it's worth some discussion.

Instead, I'll say that we disagree on what led to Trayvon Martin's death.

Even though I can entertain the possibility that George Zimmerman may have been truthful in saying that he was on his way back to the car when Trayvon Martin attacked him or some variation of that, which would give Trayvon Martin some portion of the blame, if true, it's still George Zimmerman's fault.

I can't make George Zimmerman's perception of Trayvon Martin's attire a factor. There's no amount of logic that leads me to believe that seeing someone he perceived to be a thug, based on his clothing, would result in leaving the safety of a car to pursue this possible criminal. Trayvon Martin posed no imminent threat and a hoodie and sagging pants aren't signs of an imminent threat.

I don't want anyone to be able to go to court and claim that "gang" attire caused them to pursue someone who posed no threat other than his mind telling him clothing was a sign of a threat that excuses killing. That's almost like Twinkies sending someone into a murderous rage or apparently causing Halle Berry to hit someone and flee.

George Zimmernman has to take responsibility for the rash decision he made and society doesn't need to create excuses for him.

Why even put people on trial when hoodies and sagging pants are involved?....let all the killers plead innocent on the basis that evil rap music led them to kill others and the evil rap music led the kids they killed to dress like gang members which led to their deaths...just put evil rap on trial then. That's the only conclusion I can draw otherwise I'm just tired and make no sense.

• Members

Except in America, white is not a problem or a racial issue and black is. If punk rockers went crazy and rioted they would be described as punk rockers, youth, by class or location and their reasons for rioting would be be described as social. If "rap" kids rioted they would be described as black and the reason would be because they're black since they aren't actual individuals.

This kind of implies that black youth are a rather violent bunch who listen to rap then go out and commit crimes. So were all the black youth well behaved before rap music came along and poisoned the whole lot? It seems contradictory to advocate personal responsibility while seeking to censor or get rid of rap music.

Racism in America has at least a couple of layers: society and self-infliction (which is black people telling other black people what to do). Allow people to be individuals and stop boxing them in because they're black. It's not even just seen as inferior but it's some sort of handicap as well. Trying to keep shoe companies from selling expensive sneakers for fear that black consumers will buy the shoes instead of feeding their kids, etc,, is a crippling form of coddling that includes trying to eliminate offensive rap lyrics for fear that people will act on them. Hide the rappers so kids won't dress like them.

Teach kids how to respect themselves and others because there is only so much shielding that can work. Rappers can spew misogynistic lyrics but why do the young girls and women have to believe they're true? If they're taught to understand the difference then they can choose for themselves to B or not B.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/f8cHxydDb7o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Members

I live in Orlando and you're completely misinformed. First of all, many of the gates here don't take codes, just a card that lets you have access into the gate. If that was the way the gate was set up, then Trayvon probably did not have the card. Even if it's a code and he doesn't have it, so what?

A hoodie isn't criminal attire. At all. How many people wear sweatshirts with hoods on them in the winter or when it's cold outside? TONS! Criminal attire would be all black and a ski mask, not a teenager dressed like a teenager.

None of this would have happened had Zimmerman just called 911 and gone home. Period. Nobody should be following anyone late at night with a gun unless you're a cop tracking a criminal.

• Members

That's what I thought- as I said, I live in Orlando and followed the case closely and never once did I hear any mention from Zimmerman or anyone else about Trayvon jumping a fence. He saw him walking on the street, dressed in his attire, and judged him to be a criminal. Trayvon did nothing to encourage his behavior.

Wow, you have to be kidding me- those pants aren't baggy or sagging really and he in no way is dressed like a criminal in that video.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Members

I need for this entire family to die in a house fire. I give no f-cks and mean every word.

This racist [&#33;@#&#036;%^&amp;*] from these two turds began with Mama and Daddy. F-ck all of them. When is this damn trial going to start?

The more they talk,the stupider they reveal themselves to be. I LOVE how this sense of superiority leads them to open their yaps and keep reinforcing that George is a racist and comes from a family of racists. They cannot get it through their heads that the only Whites supporting them are the hardcore racists who consider them mestizos but support killing Blacks,so they ignore that fact. The rest were quick to disclaim his "Hispanic" ass and denounce his actions.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

As tragic as it is I firmly believe that this jury will let George Zimmerman walk off scott free.....

The family will be lucky if they even get manslaughter. The prosecution did a horrible job overall and the family themselves contradicted themselves on whether or not it was Trayvon screaming on that call. Common sense would seem to suggest that Zimmerman was guilty and had bad motives that night.

Archived