DRW50

Doctor Who

Just now, DRW50 said:

Capaldi was much more than "Cranky Grandpa." 

I really haven't heard anything good about the premiere and very little good about Whittaker's performance. Not sure it's worth watching.

I think Jodie did a fantastic job. That’s the consensus I’m seeing at least. Most people enjoyed the episode a lot more than I did, though.

I haven't heard complaints about tonight, but I wasn't looking much. I'm still only halfway through Series 10, which is great.

Edited by Vee

Here’s the “Coming Soon” trailer with the guest actors for the season. The new episode didn’t have opening titles, so this is the first we’ve heard of the newly arranged theme, which is very classic Who but with some powerful, militaristic drums.

Edited by Faulkner

I had an issue with the ads, because how can anyone live tweet the program if we're getting interrupted and the UK is not. Also they didn't really show the end credits, in a way that was visible making things even more frustrating. 

7 minutes ago, ~bl~ said:

I had an issue with the ads, because how can anyone live tweet the program if we're getting interrupted and the UK is not. Also they didn't really show the end credits, in a way that was visible making things even more frustrating. 

They really should have found a sponsor (like Subaru) to run it with limited commercial interruption. But I imagine that might have been a tough sell outside of primetime?

I never watch the show on BBCA. I don't tolerate the ads or their tendency to cut the show, or speed footage up for time and ads. That's not acceptable.

Jodie Whittaker was trying way too hard. I think she will be fine once she eases into the role. I like the new companions. The story was something we have seen before. But i was ok with that. Since it was the backdrop to introducing the new status quo.   

Edited by victoria foxton

I love the new theme - very JNT 80s. With the throbbing synth.

Isn't that the woman from Coronation Street in here?

Some interesting revelations about upcoming episodes. Vinette Robinson, who played Sgt. Sally Donovan on Sherlock, is set to play Rosa Parks (!!!) in a Ep. 3. Plus more on the decision to make every episode standalone.

The new season will be 10 episodes long, with all standalone episodes, a distinctive turn from previous Showrunner Steven Moffat’s infamous inclination toward connected stories and long-building arcs. The aim, according to Chibnall, is to provide new viewers with easier access points into the show. “If you come in at episode one, you don’t need any prior knowledge; if you come in at episode nine, you don’t need any prior knowledge. If you’ve got prior knowledge, it’s going to be more rewarding,” he said. “But what I think is exciting is any new Doctor’s first year is hopefully one long recruiting video for the series. We think it’s the best idea television ever had, so what you want to do is express that. You want to communicate that passion and love to new viewers and go, ‘Come in this year, and guess what? There’s 55 years of back catalog.’”

http://www.vulture.com/2018/10/jodie-whittakers-doctor-who-5-things-you-need-to-know.html

4 hours ago, Vee said:

I love the new theme - very JNT 80s. With the throbbing synth.

Isn't that the woman from Coronation Street in here?

Three from Corrie. 

Ugh Jodie Whittaker really is doing a bargain basement Tennant. If I was a bigger fan of his I might enjoy it, but I'm not.

At least the trailer created this:

I finally finished the premiere.

Jodie Whittaker found her stride toward the end of the episode, when she calmed the Smith/Tennant impersonation and the OTT line readings. I hope we will see the more low-key performances in future. 

I liked the companions, especially Ryan, who felt like someone I'd never seen before as a companion. Yaz was fine - she reminded me more of a Torchwood character (minus the sex and being horribly murdered). I'm sure we'll learn more about her. I think Bradley Walsh is a good actor overall and has a warm screen presence, but I could see him "acting" a bit too much. I hope he'll settle down. I thought the woman who played Grace was very good and I wish she could have joined as well.

The plot was the usual Chibnall - flat and needlessly choppy and confusing (why did we get nothing of the guy who was being hunted after the Doctor dressed him down; what exactly was Grace even doing, as she just seemed to have a death wish; did the bad guy die or did he just disappear, and is the threat even over...??). 

The ratings were great, and while they will of course fall, at least this shows a lot of people are still drawn to the program.

Edited by DRW50

The BBCA afternoon premiere got a 0.45 18-49 rating  and 1.367M viewers, a pretty decent start considering the odd airtime. Not a record for the channel, but it was up from the 2017 Christmas special by 0.05 in the demo and 200K viewers, and I’m sure it will get a significant delayed-viewing boost. (NOTE: the 8 pm airing added 0.15 18-49 and 515K, and there were other encore broadcasts throughout the day.)

For comparison’s sake, Capaldi’s first episode on BBCA got a 0.85 18-49 rating and 2.2M viewers.

”The Time of the Doctor” (the regeneration from Smith to Capaldi) remains the record holder on BBCA with 2.47M viewers.

Must be a tense atmosphere in the AMCN offices with The Walking Dead seeing ratings tumble and Doctor Who reaping the good press. (Same with BBCA’s Killing Eve breaking out while AMC’s Dietland tanked.)

Edited by Faulkner

Ugh. Chibnall. My fears in terms of his writing were well-founded. This is just uninspired in terms of execution of story, and the dialogue is super clunky and expository. Moffat was up his own ass, but the guy knew how to pen a witty line.

The show looks good, though. The production values have improved by leaps and bounds for the most part. It doesn’t have that campy, jaunty feel of RTD and Moffat. But it doesn’t feel super distinctive either.

Edited by Faulkner