Maude: Florida Vs Mrs. Naugatuck

allmc2008

Battle of the Maids  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Who was Maudes best Maids

• Mrs. Maugatuck
    • Florida Evans

• Members

Because "Maude," like most other Norman Lear sitcoms, was politically charged, I felt the dynamic between Maude Findlay and Florida Evans lent itself better to the kinds of issues the writers often examined. Think about it: Maude Findlay, who was as progressively minded as she was, employing an African-American maid, and feeling embarrassed about it the whole time. smile.png

• Members

Because "Maude," like most other Norman Lear sitcoms, was politically charged, I felt the dynamic between Maude Findlay and Florida Evans lent itself better to the kinds of issues the writers often examined. Think about it: Maude Findlay, who was as progressively minded as she was, employing an African-American maid, and feeling embarrassed about it the whole time. smile.png

I loved the whole dynamic there. Maude's good intentions and progressive mind clashing with her white privilege and her heart still in the ways of old. It was a great internal struggle within Maude, and Florida calling her on her own hypocrisy was hilarious and incredibly thought-provoking in a way that Mrs. Naugatuck never could. I actually found Mrs. Naugatuck intensely annoying and had to tune out after Season 2.

Archived