Is Song of the South racist??

allmc2008

• Members

It;s an opinion and not a fact.

It's no different to me than seeing the character of Uncle Tom as one who tried to do the right thing instead of as the "sellout" that he was labeled as. I am sure all those people who call people "Uncle Tom" and "sellout" believe that to be a fact as well.

I know a 94 year old man who tells stories pretty much like I imagine this Uncle Remus character does. He lived through those times and more and he's nearly always happy. In fact he's much happier than any of us who didn't live through or experience things close to what he has and Iin all the years I've known him and I have never heard him complain about what a hard life he has. And he's not anyone's stereotype in my opinion but I imagine that everyone who has something against Uncle Remus might also have something against him.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was giving this some thought because I suppose people could have a one, the other or both approach to what specifically constituted the stereotype: being happy when he should be miserable due to his circumstances, his grammar/vocabulary or both his happiness and his grammar/vocabulary. The only thing about grammar/vocabulary is that some people see that as an example of not conforming because to them it's some special language (which those Oakland teachers labeled as "Ebonics").

I am not sure what you're referring to when you say white ideal but take an athlete like LeBron James. His goal is to become a billionaire. He probably conforms in all the materialistic ways that count (fashion, chef to the stars, house, etc.) except when it comes to grammar/vocabulary as does some of his fellow basketball players. ESPN, NBA TV and The NFL Network is littered with former players who conform in the same way as well some I'm not sure why people proclaim speaking properly as "acting white" but don't think the acquisition of all those material things, dressing in Italian suits, and wearing thick framed glasses is "keeping it real."

• 4 years later...
  • Members

http://deadline.com/2017/08/gone-with-the-wind-racism-memphis-tennessee-orpheum-theatre-hattie-mcdaniel-vivien-leigh-charlottesville-1202156922/

Is this the right way to go?

I can sort of understand the reasoning right now with everything that's happened recently, but at the same time I feel that this is the first step down a very dangerous path. Most movies, tv and literature from the past contain ideas, values and images that go against what we believe now, but we can't pretend that they don't exist.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Movie historian Stuart Galbraith IV has said the following about Song of the South:

"‪From a historical and artistic perspective, it absolutely should be released. Besides, my argument with regards to that film is that Uncle Remus is smarter and wiser than all the white people in that movie. It’s no better or worse than a hundred other Hollywood movies from the 1940s, and certainly the racial stereotypes are far more offensive in Gone with the Wind."

• 4 weeks later...

Archived