Geraldine (Flip Wilson) VS Madea (Tyler Perry)

allmc2008

Geraldine VS Madea  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Who was funnier??

• Members

I don't get it. Does he look like the guy from Song Of The South?

No... here is a clip of Tyler Perry playing all three characters... Madea, her brother, and her nephew (as her nephew, is what he looks like in real life) I love madea, too. I just don't understand what the problem is that people have with Tyler Perry. His stuff is good, entertaining, and many times has a nice message. I suspect it's the message part that people don't like. Many people get snippy when there are mirrors around.

• Members
I suspect it's the message part that people don't like. Many people get snippy when there are mirrors around.

Actually, the "message part" of his plays and movies are fine (if a bit ham-fisted and not integrated easily into the rest of the stories). What certain people don't like, though, is that Tyler Perry has to put on a damn wig and dress and trade on African-American stereotypes, including the sassy (and mannish) Black Grandma, in order to get those messages across.

• Members

Actually, the "message part" of his plays and movies are fine (if a bit ham-fisted and not integrated easily into the rest of the stories). What certain people don't like, though, is that Tyler Perry has to put on a damn wig and dress and trade on African-American stereotypes, including the sassy (and mannish) Black Grandma, in order to get those messages across.

I asked my friend Shawn about this today (To get a black perspective from someone who LOVES Tyler Perry's movies), and he said Madea makes people uncomfortable because the stereotype is TRUE and some people are ashamed of who they are and don't want to face it. He said "We are what we ARE, and I ain't ashamed of sh!t, there's a million black grandmas just like her". And realistically.... how different is Madea from this ?

• Members

I asked my friend Shawn about this today (To get a black perspective from someone who LOVES Tyler Perry's movies), and he said Madea makes people uncomfortable because the stereotype is TRUE and some people are ashamed of who they are and don't want to face it. He said "We are what we ARE, and I ain't ashamed of sh!t, there's a million black grandmas just like her". And realistically.... how different is Madea from this ?

I completely agree. I am a huge Tyler Perry fan and yes, Madea might be stereotypical (to a stereotype that exists for a reason), but there are always ALL types of people in his movies. There are those who rose to greater things, there are those who went from greatness to the streets, and then some. He writes real things and speak to the heart...at least they do to mine.

Archived