CBS Daytime Exec Angelica McDaniel Interview: Y&R’s Regime Change & Why It Had To Be Done! Plus, Plans for Fall!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't know why that B&B question was in there at all, the one about the lesbian story. Isn't Fairman tight with CC? I love Joanna Johnson and think she's done some of her best work in the last few years, but this isn't exactly a story people were hooked on.

• Members

I disagree that this would have worked. Y&R lost its core beginning with LML and then Bell/Sheffer delivering the coup de grace. There's no going back now. They need to completely reinvent and redefine themselves now. JFP could be the person to do it if reined in sufficiently well.

• Members

B&B reinvented themselves with people who know B&B. They just knew what they had to do and it clicked. Y&R is, once again, reinventing itself with people who don't really know Y&R. It's a mixed bag. I do think you need new blood, but they need to be on equal footing with people who know the show. I know many hated LML, but I think if you truly paired her with Kay Alden and Jack Smith you'd have a brilliant show. One thing in particular that I loved is that she featured the Winters so much and they were important and got screentime. She recognized that part of the audience and she would regularly get the ratings over 6 million. She never needed total control and that's what killed her.

I do think there are good things JFP can bring to Y&R, I just wonder if it'll all end up being too much. Too many new people.

• Members

The problem is that the show isn't bringing their own people up the ranks. Janice, Teresa, Natalie and Beth are all capable of re-defining the show, but understanding the history of the show.

As for JFP, it is still a rinse and repeat cycle - while I may not always like FV's view of shows, he rose up the ranks of the OLTL - and did a good job with budget, and then moved on to another show. Some of the BTS production people have been at Y&R for twenty years, but they aren't even given the chance.

Archived