DAYS: August Discussion Thread

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The last 11 episodes have been so well constructed and written, nothing like this since Pat Faulken Smith took over after her GH stint and the show suddenly felt three dimensional and the characters had heart. Tomlin and Whitesell should be commended. This is a much more brilliant reset than prior resets, or for instance the one Griffith/Malone did on OLTL several years ago (their second [!@#$%^&*] stint). I suddenly like Melanie and Nicole. Sami is interesting. Hope advocating for Nick is refreshing. Maggie and Victor work well together and I appreciated the Friday confrontation scenes expertly written by Janet Iacubuzio. Sure, it was bogus conflict but it had heart and the actors looked like then really enjoyed themselves. And lots of stories are moving. I'm watching every day for the first time since Cwikly/Brash stint.

• Members

I dunno. I get the disdain for Gering, but the writing has been really really good the last few weeks. I've been enjoying watching the last two weeks more than I have in a full year. These year-and-a-half highs DAYS is getting right now are truly well-deserved. Let's see if they can keep that up.

• Members

I don't like Rafe but frankly I don't get the hatred for him. I think GG is a credible actor and Rafe a decent character. The worst thing for Rafe is not having IMO his character flushed out and totally dependent on Sami for interest and story. He's frankly no,worse IMO than someone like Steve Burton or Bernard or Billy Miller or Michael Easton and ive seen these men get never ending praise online and frankly what males in that age group on Days are good? Is the hamminess and scenery chewing James Scott does at times really that fantastic. Frankly its the women, Ari Zucker and yes Alison Sweeney who carry them. Name me a successful EJ story without them. Rafe was zzzz with Carrie and EJ zzzz with Taylor.

Frankly I think the show is working better than it has in over a year. The hospital is back with Maxine and we see Daniel interacting with Cameron. The way Will is being used now with Gabi, Sonny, and even Abby is tons better than what's been on in months. The story with Nick and the used of folks around that arc has been exceptional, I don't like Daniel and Nicole or Daniel and Jennifer, but it feels like Nicole is back to being Nicole,again and Im sure her moving in with Jennifer is going to create some drama. The stuff with Sami, EJ, and Rafe doesn't interest me but that's just because been there done that. Is it perfect no, but it's far more watchable than the show has been in eons.

• Members

I think a lot of the hate for Rafe is based on his replacing Lucas on the show and being a big block for EJ/Sami. It's probably also because DAYS doesn't do a great job bringing in new leading men, they have kept the same leading men for decades, so he also gets hate for not being Bo, for not being John.

I don't really mind him. I just don't care about Sami's vagina.

• Members

The thing with Rafe is that he is a typical soap character and the actor is a typical soap actor. Nothing big, without soaps wouldn't have a career. He isn't suited for Primetime or anything big!

The thing with Rafe is that he is a typical soap character and the actor is a typical soap actor. Nothing big, without soaps wouldn't have a career. He isn't suited for Primetime or anything big!

• Members

LOL...just caught up on Thursday's episode....from Sonny feeling uncomfortable with Brain coming on to him and meeting his mom to Victor meeting Brian was so hilarious....then Adrienne gushing over Brian at the coffee shop and then bragging it to Will about Brian and Sonny...loved Will's reaction...this time his smirking fit in that scene....lol

EJ/Will scenes for me were funny as hell for me too...felt like Will was professing his love to EJ....LOL

And Will is so upset he doesnt answer his phone when Sonny calls....come on Sonny let Brian hump you....LOL

• Members

Rafe is just boring and is no different then all the other white knights in Salem and that's the problem. He is indistinguishable compared to other characters. He is no different then Lucas, Brady, Daniel, Austin or others. He's the same character Days casts over and over again and the fact that he is dependent on Sami for story just screams how ineffective he is as a stand alone character. Billy Miller is much better then him even when he is lazy and doesn't want to be there. I don't have a problem with Galen being the typical male hero. I have a problem with the fact that, this is all he is. Bland, generic Salem hero #76. There is nothing about him that is interesting. Lindsey Hartley's Adrianna was more interesting then he ever was. I wish she survived and Rafe had died. He is a shackle to the character of Sami and she is handicapped when she is with him in more ways then one. Sami was completely changed as a character in order to fit with his image as the good guy and that doesn't work as we see every day when they are featured in stories together.

James Scott is the best male lead on the show by far. Next to Koslow he is the best actor on there and it says volumes that he has multiple Best Lead Actor nominations for his work there at Days, as we all know the Daytime Emmy committee is allergic to Days actors and actresses in general. James Scott makes everything that he is handed with work, even if it's ridiculous, despicable or indefensible writing. He is one of Days best assets and there is no one on this current canvas that could replace what he does for the show, even if some viewers don't like him he brings his A game and it's better then what most give to this show.

I don't agree. Rafe is a useless character and always has been an insert since they lost Lucas and Austin, that's his sole existence for being. But EJ can actually carry his storylines on his own. He is not defined by Sami or Nicole. He could drop both of them and still have a story as we saw with EJ becoming a DiMera and terrorizing the whole town back in late 06 and early 07' before being thrusted into that lame triangle with Sami and Lucas. EJ has strong connections to his family, to Will and has rivalries and relationships outside of Sami and Nicole who are defined/chained to their men, their marriages and their vagina's from 06 onwards. EJ could still exist and be a key player on this show without Sami or Nicole. Sami and Nicole are actually the ones who become boring without EJ being in their stories. Which is why EJ's always brought in to push story, become their catalyst and be the evil antagonist to their watered down, miss-assigned roles as heroines. Look no further then the storyline Nicole is in now for proof of that. EJ is being vilified in order to sell this Nicole/Daniel romance that no one is buying.

I agree. His self-righteousness is annoying as well, specifically when he doesn't care about doing what is right and only becomes vengeful and subverts the law for his own personal purposes. He is a lot like Lucas in a way, and I don't even like the first Lucas enough for there to be two of them with that same trying tone of self-righteousness.

• Members

My Rafe hate has nothing to do with Lucas because I'm not a big fan of him either and liked Carl I don't care about Sami's vagina or Glitterdick(EJ). Rafe does not work as a character outside of Sami's vagina though and even then he doesn't work because they made her into a heroine to be paired alongside him in their sleep inducing scenes. That pairing was the weakest link in the baby switch storyline. And Over a decade later and GG's acting is still on the same level. I'd rather Brandon be back over Rafe still sticking around.

Archived