Your best and worst (soap by soap)

DRW50

• Members

For ATWT:

Favorite Character (Male): This was a tough one but I'd definitely have to go with Dr. John Dixon as well simply for the fact the character was so versatile as both a good guy and a bad guy. Honorable mentions go to Hal Munson and Jack Snyder.

Least Favorite Character (Male): Hmm, I'd go with Noah Mayer for starters simply for being so spineless and boring.

Favorite Character (Female): Another tough one, but if there was four women on the show I always absolutely loved to follow it would have Lucinda, Barbara, Carly, and Lisa. All four women weren't perfect, they were larger than life, they schemed and plotted away sometimes to the extremes yet I always found them root-able for the most part.

Least Favorite Character (Female): I think in long term overall ATWT's worst lead women was Katie Peretti. She was nothing but an unsympathetic sociopath who was always about her selfish self while she was a home-wrecker to multiple marriages (Holden and Lily, Mike and Jennifer, Jack and Carly etc.) I hated everytime she was onscreen and aside from her early story with Simon I usually hated all of the bubblehead's stories.

Favorite Couple: John and Lucinda by far, followed by Hal and Barbara, Jack and Carly, and Bob and Kim.

Least Favorite Couple: Holden and Lily. Always thought Lily worked better with Damien and Dusty. Jack and Katie and Holden and Carly tie for second.

Favorite Storyline: John vs. Lisa storyline there from 1995-1996 was great as two titans clashed and fought from the frivolous lawsuit brought on by Lisa to John's revenge to even the ridiculous moment of John saving the day for Lisa in Hong Kong. I'd also add the Doug Cummings story, a truly brilliant haunting mystery crafted by Marland.

Least Favorite Storyline: The Jessica/Doc Reese/Margo fiasco was humiliating and almost made me sick of ATWT because it was so dreadful. The Z Twins was pretty bad too. So was the Paul/Rosanna/Craig/Meg quad.

Favorite Scene: "Hello Barbara......"

Least Favorite Scene: Julia's rape of Jack is pretty self-explanatory I see.

Funniest Scene: Susan and Kim arguing over Alison's involvement with Chris; Susan: "Say hi to Bob for me" Kim: "GO TO HELL!!!"

Best Recast: Cady McClain as Rosanna. She truly turned this character in a 180.

Worst Recast: Shawn Batten as Connor and Christina Chambers as Molly. Both failed epicly.

What epitomized As the World Turns: The ensemble. The community. The multi-generational set-up even though it was improperly used. The family. The town of Oakdale itself. Oh and of course, Nancy's coffee.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Favorite male character:

Toss up between Bob Hughes and John Dixon, which is funny as they are character foils. John (like my Roger Thorpe sad.png) was that quintessential bad boy that constantly did wrong, but really didn't mean too. Bob, on the other hand, was the loveable father figure that I so wish I had.

Favorite female character:

This is SO hard as I loved majority of the female characters on this soap (unlike many other soaps). Carly being a screw up, Lily being a loveable shrew, Lisa being meddlesome, Kim being loveable yet stern, Nancy just being Nancy, Barbara and her cattiness, Margo, Lucinda, and Jessica being strong, professional women. . . *sighs* I miss my ladies of Oakdale.

Least favorite male character:

Majority of Jean Passantate's male character creations. But I'll be diplomatic and choose Jon Lindstrom's Craig. He was not Craig for me, and he looked grossed paired with Maura West or Cady McClain (sorry Cady). Plus, I was still p*ssed because I was glad to have Scott Bryce back in a role he originated, and I finally got to see the Craig that everyone raved about. I grew to love Bryce and was so p*ssed when Goutman got rid of him.

Least favorite female character:

Sophie Duran. Such a stupid character. I hated her when they tried to peg her as the victim, and I hated her when she became unhinged. I was so glad when she got the boot.

Favorite couple:

Bob and Kim. Reading a lot of their history, seeing what I did see growing up in the 90s till the end of the series, YouTube, and SoapClassics--this pairing was everything. Bob and Kim (along with Tom and Margo) displayed that soap couples can stay married, have obstacles, and still drive story with a capable writer penning the story.

Least favorite couple:

Jack and Janet. I SO hated this pairing because I knew that JP was doing this because she was eager to cram a crap character down our throats, and what better way to attempt to do so than pairing him with one of the show's leading men.

Favorite story:

It was a bit before my time but (again) thanks to YouTube and Soaps Classic, the Doug Cumming story is endearing. I am hooked with how Marland devised this story, ingeniously using Kim's history to tell it.

Least favorite story:

Emily's egg baby, Hunter. That story (and character) was so stupid and pointless. I hated how he was paired with my Maddie, thus preventing her from reuniting with Casey. I hated that Larry would just steal and use Emily's egg to do so. . . Ugh. That story was just dreadful.

Other stories would be the Z Twins and Noah having to marry that mess named Amira.

Funniest scene:

A scene involving Molly, Barbara, and Carly in Fashions. Carly was buying stuff from the store, much to the chagrin of Barbara, and the casheir said something slick to Barbara after Carly and Molly left, and she told her to shove it. Barbara diving out the court window is hilarious too.

Favorite scene:

The final scene of the show. To me, it meant so much. This was a show that I watched with my Grandmother, and sadly, she passed five months before the finale. Helen Wagner (too) passed before the finale, so their was so much tied to that final scene. When Bob uttered "Goodnight," the lights dimmed, the globe lit up and started to spin, and the Prince of Tides theme (Reunion) started to play, I cried like I've never cried before (which I am doing now as I write this unsure.png).

Bob Hughes and I were connected as Nancy Hughes and my grandmother were. My grandma heard Nancy say "Good morning," and I, another generation, heard Bob finish the show off, as I (too) finished a show that was a legacy in my family. I had my epiphany (as I didn't cry when my grandma passed or at the funeral) and finally learned to let go of my grandmother and this show. I still have moments where I miss both but I realize that both my grandma and ATWT lives in me.

Another scene is when Katie was exposed at the award ceremony when she was working for WOAK. That scene was SO good. Maybe because I am a Carjack fan, it has to be when Jack thought Carly was dying of a brain tumor (around the time he was about to marry that heffa, Katie). Their last break up scenes were good too. Oh and Katie saying goodbye to Brad was one of my faves too.

Least favorite scene:

Those scenes with Roseanna working in that Garden store/market (one of her last returns) -- painful if anything. The shaky cams were annoying and Roseanna working in a market was the stupid crap EVER. She's a freaking heiress!

Best recast:

Billy Magnussen as Billy -- I liked him and it was hard to replace someone so popular as Zack Roerig.

Worst recast:

Jon Lindstrom as Craig Montgomery

Valentina De Angelis as Faith Snyder

Sarah Wilson as Liberty Ciccone

What ATWT epitomized for me:

The Hughes. It was something about that family that drew me to them. Their dynamic, their struggles, their joys, their love for each other, their foundation, Nancy, who reminded me so much of my own (maternal) grandmother. So sad when both left this world in 2010. But I (too) loved the community, their other families and their dynamics, the history that spanned for 53 years. Besides Guiding Light and Another World, NO other soap has touched me like World Turns have.

• Members

Favorite Male Character: Hal Munson Ben Hendrickson took a secondary role and made him the moral compass of the show.

Favorite Female Character: Carly Tenney Love a character you can love and loath at the same time!

Least Favorite Male Character: Jon Lindstrom's Craig Montgomery. Scott Bryce was perfection as Craig. Hunt Block was a one-note joke as Craig, but at least he was entertaining. Lindstroms Craig was two things Craig never was : inconsequential and boring.

Least Favorite Female: Janet Ciccone. The beginning of the end of the show.

Favorite Couple: Katie and Simon. Katie usually was toxic with any man she was paired with, but it was different with Simon. Does anyone remember their parting scene at the fence? I didnt know they could be that good!

Least Favorite Couple: Paul and Rosanna. Cady was too good an actress to be paired with One-=Expression Roger.

Favorite Storyline: Lisas malpractice suit against John, and his subsequent revenge. I've never cared for Eileen Fulton as an actress, but in this storyline, she was magnificent.

Funniest Scene: (Tie) 1) Barbara is cornered in the ladys room by Shannon O'Hara , who dunks her head in a toilet. Lyla walks into a drenched Babs, and drily say Whats wrong, Barbara, you look flushed?". 2) Emma and Carly have a nasty fight, which Carly ends by telling Mama Snyder that her celebrated mashed potatoes were always lumpy. The shocked look on Kathleen Widdoes face was priceless.

Favorite Scene: Barbara and Hals engagement party , where Parkers paternity is revealed.

Least Favorite Scene: Mike Kasnoff is told that ex-wife Jennifer is dead, so he promptly proclaims his love for Katie. I wanted to puke.

Best Recast: Hillary B Smith as Margo. I never thought Id like anyone who replaced Margaret Colin, but she won me over.

Worst Recast: Where do I begin? Jon Lindstrom as Craig, John Howard as Paul Ryan, Randy Mantooth as Hal, Glynis O'Connor as Margo, Jon "I Was A Teenage Mike Kasnoff" Prescott, that awful Maddie Coleman recast,the Orlena Grimaldi recast who defined over-the-top scenery chewing, etc. But nothing was as bad as the Connor Walsh recast. Epic.

What epitomized ATWT for me? The acting. Storylines may be terrible (the shrunken head, the Z Twins, the Carolyn Crawford mystery), but the acting was so far above what was on other soaps, that it was like day and night.

• Members

ALL MY CHILDREN

Favorite/least favorite male character
Favorite: Adam Chandler
Lead Favorite: Dog Boy

Favorite/least favorite female character
Favorite: Annie
Least Favorite: Becca

Favorite/least favorite couple
Favorite: Aidan and Kendall
Least Favorite: Adam and Krystal

Favorite story
Skye, Erica and Janet teaming up together against Dr. Kinder

Least favorite story
Proteus

Favorite/least favorite scene.
Favorite: Erica's intervention where she finally told Kendall, she loved her
Least Favorite: Krystal's drunken truck stop Christmas at the Chandler mansion

Best recast
Carrie Genzel as Skye

Worst recast
Melody Anderson as Natalie

If there were one or two characters you wished you could put on another show (or movie, or book, or play, anything), who are they, and what would you do with them?
Kendall and Griffin on GH. As a doctor , he would move to PC as he would get a job at GH. Kendall tried to make it work with Zach but it wasnt the same. She decides to make a fresh start from PV and moves to PC (not knowing Griff is here) and launches Fusion into a corporate cosmetics war with CoeCoe Cosmetics. She runs into Griff and the sparks are still there. He is hesitatant about starting anything for fear of getting burned again, but she is persistant and determined to win him back

• Members

I knew you would! The storyline they are doing with Britt and Patrick/Sabrina would have been better suited for Griff/Kendall. I could even see Carly and Kendall reuniting after 20 years (bc they both came from FL and left to go find their birth mothers) and catch up with whats gone down since. Maybe Griff and Patrick were old college roommates so that would give him a male peer to connect with. I think it could work

• Members

Gonna play catch-up. Unfortunately, I was never a true daily watcher of either soap, but that said, I've got a pretty good knowledge and always kept up with them and know most of their overall histories but I'll try and stick to what I've seen.

ALL MY CHILDREN:

Favorite male character
Adam Chandler. Hands down. David Canary is absolutely fantastic. He stole the show the entire last week, IMO, and his exit was much more of a huge blow to AMC than I realized initially.

RUNNER UP: Stuart & David. I was torn between those three.

Least favorite male character
Ryan Lavery. I like Cam Mathison, I do (though not really as an actor, LOL) but Ryan was a complete waste of a character. At least in the beginning of his run he had goals and ambition and there were character traits. It was lost on his return. Greenlee also suffered from this big time. Both characters were just ultimately stuck in this rut they never got out of. Relationship roulette on soaps is KILLING a lot of characters.

Runner Up: Zach. Ugh. At times. I just thought they treated the character as this second coming instead of what he could have been.

Favorite female character
Angie. I love Debbi Morgan. She grabbed me every single time no matter what she was doing. Angie's strength, love, insecurity/confidence, etc. Just a great character who quickly, IMO, became a very vital part of the show, especially in it's last few years.

Runner(s) Up: Erica, Brooke and Annie

Least favorite female character
Can't really think of any.

Favorite couple
Erica and Brooke. I really don't have any of the past popular couples to really make a judgement on so I'm going with them. LOL.

Least favorite couple
JR and Babe. I think Babe completely dragged JR down. I think the writers wanted to recapture the Tad/Dixie type of romance. I think Babe's "sainthood" status killed anything I might have liked about them.

Favorite story
Cambias drama. It honestly really made me take notice of AMC and I watched regularly for quite a while after that.

Least favorite story
The unabortion. I feel like the show jumped the shark at that point and to me, wasn't the same, especially knowing the history of the show. Also, Julia's unecessary death and Stuart's murder just caused me to really become less interested in watching at the time.

Funniest scene

I'm so bad with remembering ANYTHING. LOL. I swear I am terrible.

Favorite scene
Stuart and Marian's reunion. IDK why but when I think of AMC right now, that just comes to mind. I should put them as favorite couple ... like Carl, I loved them.

Least Favorite Scene

Again, meh. IDK.

Best recast
Jacob Young as JR

Worst recast
Andrew Ridings as JR (my god he was atrocious beyond belief)

And what epitomized AMC to you?

The 'quaint' feeling the show had. The heart. The comedy. The off-beat, 'different' characters. The real, human drama mixed with some campy, 'out-there' moments as only AMC could do. I think the show just had 'it' for the most part. Strong actors and strong writing. I mean, the history alone makes me wish I could see this show from the start. I just personally love everything about it.

AS THE WORLD TURNS

Favorite male character

John. Yeah, I didn't really see him in his heyday but I love him. His exit burned me a little bit at the time and I lost a lot of interest in ATWT.

I imagine if I had more years of Hal and Ben Hendrickson, he'd probably be tied to John. I liked what I saw. He had such a natural presence and the show lost a lot without Hal and John.

Least favorite male character
Paul Ryan <- Roger Howarth's version. Though I absolutely despised Dusty. I'd say it's tied for me.

Favorite female character
Susan Stewart <- Marie Masters was fantastic. I kind of agree, yet again AMS. I wish she had been given more to do. Susan was always just so fascinating to me.

Barbara would be a very close second. VERY close. Probably tied. LOL

Least favorite female character
Katie. I couldn't stand her for some reason after her downfall was what got me into ATWT.

Favorite couple
Bob & Kim Hughes <- yup. I could watch them both just read the phonebook or sit there and not even speak. Something about Kathryn Hays and Don Hastings I just adore. I miss seeing them, honestly. Same for all the vets of ATWT. They had fantastic vets who were SO misued for at least a decade, IMO, they were ALL so capable of leading storyline, even still. Vital veterans and they just ignored them. With SUCH history. So shameful.

Least favorite couple
Paul Ryan & Meg Snyder <- agreed. Yuck.

Favorite story
Katie's downfall. It got me into ATWT, honestly and I was pissed she became a dizzy little heroine who grew to be really annoying.

Least favorite story
Carly/Jack/Janet triangle <- agreed. ugh.

Funniest scene

Favorite scene

Least favorite scene.

Best recast
Scott Holroyd as Paul

Worst recast
Davida Williams as Jade Taylor (yeah, I agree with AMS)

And what epitomized ATWT to you
Quintessential soap opera. Slow-moving, lots and lots of talking. Older characters having coffee. Riveting drama derived primarily from domestic situations. Watching ATWT on a good day would put me in an extremely happy place, where a soap was truly a soap. <- STOLE THIS FROM AMS. I completely agree.

• Members

AMC:

Favorite Characters:

Male-Adam Chandler

Female-tie between Dixie Martin and Angie Hubbard

Least Favorite:

Male-Ryan Lavery

Female-Marissa

Favorite Couple:

Another tie between Angie and Jesse and Dixie and Tad

Least Favorite Couple:

Ryan and Erica and Ryan and Greenlee

Favorite Story:

I guess because it was the only thing I enjoyed during Pratt's reign of terror, Annie going crazy and her marriage to Adam, then having an affair with JR before Adam reunites with Brooke.

Least Favorite:

Bianca returning pregnant; Reese and Zach kissing; Ryan and Erica falling for each other; Greenlee's trial for David's murder; I guess anything related to Pratt and the headwriters following Broderick.

Funniest Scene:

Anything with Opal and any scene of Brooke and Erica going at it.

Least Favorite Scene:

Not sure if it counts, but any scene of Ryan and Zach being assholes. Which is a lot.

Best Recast: CLB as Bianca

Worst: AB as Babe

• Members

ATWT, I only watched on and off from 2006-2010, but I love the history of the show and a little of what I did see outside of YouTube and SoapClassics.

Favorite Characters:

Male- Hal Munson and John Dixon.

Female-So many. Kim, Barbara, Lucinda, Lisa, Ellen, Jessica, Carly, MB's Lily.

Least Favorite Characters:

Male-Paul Ryan. I like Roger Howarth on OLTL, but couldn't stand him as Paul.

Female-Janet. I don't even know her last name. Couldn't stand her entire family.

Favorite Couple:

Bob and Kim.

Least Favorite Couple:

Casey and Alison. I enjoyed Casey, but I always found Alison boring as played by Marnie.

Favorite Story:

Of what I saw, I enjoyed the final months the most with Chris falling ill, John's return and reconnection with Lucinda. Chris even helped make Katie tolerable in that time. I also enjoyed the introduction of Reid. Pre-2006, the Willows story with Lisa; the Lisa-Grant-Joyce stories; the Kim-Dan-John-Susan quadrangle; the Douglas Cummings story; Frannie and Sabrina; John and Lisa scheming against one another; Barbara going insane and the spa madness was fun, but as Barbara's insanity dragged on, they went too far; Susan and Rick Decker; the Carly/Gwen baby story.

Least Favorite Story:

The Z twins, most of anything with Luke and Noah, and Lily Holden and so many others. I wish I had picked up ATWT sooner, but from the past, Duncan and Shannon drive me insane. I can't stand either one.

Best Recast:

I suppose BM as Casey, or HBS as Margo.

Worst Recast:

So many. Top of thelist is JL as Craig and then Ellen Dolan as Margo.

Archived