Les Miserables - Official Trailer HD

DAMfan

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't know about this. Musicals tend to live or die based on the music, and aside from the song used in this trailer is there even one noteworthy song in Les Miz? It's a great story, but this musical is one I was never really interested in due to the lack of songs of note.

• Members

I became a fan of Les Mis through the book, notsomuch the musical, BUT there are these two gems that I love. The first is On My Own sung by the BEST Eponine (my favourite character) there ever is, was, and will be -- Lea Salonga. The Bret Hart of Eponine's. smile.png

And this is Master of the House. A great, fun and hilarious song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izgc7IhcGG4

• Members

I guess that's a matter of opinion. Sure, "Les Misérables" doesn't have a signature song like "Memory" or "Don't Cry For Me Argentina", but is that a good thing or a bad thing? I saw "Les Misérables" in Stockholm (twice), and I think it has one of the most consistently good song scores of all musicals. The only other musical I feel that way about is "West Side Story".

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Les Miz does, as pointed out, have a number of somewhat cross-over songs. The score, like it or not, certainly has huge mainstream appeal to the non typical musical theatre fan, which is a big reason it's run so long--Castle in a Cloud was a minor hit as well, and Stars and especially the kinda dire Bring Him Home are faves by pop-opera type groups like Il Divo in concert.

• Members

I think Maria Rydberg was quite phenomenal as Eponine in the original Swedish production of Les Misérables in 1990. She definitely stole the show, and that was quite an achievement since the cast was full of major stars. She also won the Swedish equivalent of a Tony Award for her performance.

I don't think any footage of her performance exists, but here is her version of "On My Own" (which in Swedish became "För Mig Själv")

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived