The Following: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Members

I lost feeling for anyone's death around episode three, when it was clear 90% of the characters were going to die.

Manhands had to die...teeheeheee!! Emma's a cold bitch, I wouldn't have minded her dying either.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was sad too and I don't think I'll watch next season if Emma is on. It's bad enough that she didn't die.

And that is the number one problem with the show, they attempted to garner sympathy from some really putrid villains with poorly written backstories and it failed miserably. This isn't Dexter, the garbage writing doesn't support identifying with and enjoying the villain(s) as main character(s). And the good guys, who some of us liked, were either stupid, killed or both. The producer or whatever said in a TV Guide interview today that people really cared for Joe, rooted for him. I'm sorry but what the [!@#$%^&*] was she watching? No we didn't, at most, some loved to hate him. I found him to be a bore to be honest.

Emma? They obviously think we care about her but most of us [!@#$%^&*] hate her pixie sporting, 2-inch neck having, repugnant c.unt ass. The closest they got to creating a likable villain was with Jacob and that mostly worked cause of people who are obsessed with gay couples, despite how horrible they are. That and the fact that he hadn't killed anyone, making him "innocent." You know, despite assisting Emma and Paul with their myriad of crimes. I enjoyed seeing Nico create something out of pure horseshit writing, going from pure to devilish, and was so desperately hoping for him to slaughter Emma but naturally they ruined that too.

The best moments for this show involved the threeway OTP and their sexual trysts. Now that was interesting and pushed TV boundaries...so naturally it was swiftly dropped and Jacob was deemed straight and then Paul was killed off.

• Members

FOX seemed to think they could capture the horror audience. I think they need to realize the mainstream audience isn't going to get off on the sound of the weapon slicing the victim du jour (or minute). I remember being sort of relieved in one episode when the victim count seemed to be significantly less---only to watch young Ryan forcibly OD the junkie that killed his father.

There's really no one to root for. I would never root for someone as evil as Joe. Ryan isn't so much a hero---but for all his tortured angst, Bacon leaves me kind bored.

I do like the younger agent.

And the repeated Poe cliffnotes in every eppy didn't help. Who the hell wants to sit through an English lecture every Monday night?

• Members

I like Bacon and Ryan and yes, I like Mike Weston, forgot about him. But I'm not gonna watch for two characters. I do hope Claire makes it out alive, the interview made it seem like Agent Parker's death would springboard Ryan's direction next season and didn't say a word about Claire, not that she really can since it was a cliffhanger. I know that Bacon was pissed that they were killing off the two lead females and even went so far as to call the writing misogynistic. I agree with Bacon and let's hope that Bacon got his way and Claire lives, even if she's not the most well-written character. She can be off screen for all I care but she doesn't need to die, it's overkill, especially when you realize Emma is the only female that made it out alive. Disgraceful!

Agreed that the Poe angle was a failure after the gimmicks of Poe starting someone on fire and Poe leaping from a shelf of Poe masks were played out.

• Members

I'm surprised he has such standards, considering Wild Things is the movie that put him back into bigger roles. Not exactly empowering for women.

I heard a lot of hoopla over the OT3 in this show and how fascinating it was supposed to be, but I watched a little and could never tell the men apart. Sounds like - what a shock - more gay-baiting to get attention.

I guess Annie Parisse still can't keep a job.

• Members

I think misogynistic is a little disingenuous when the death count rivals a video game. Would it be less misogynistic if she'd simply been stabbed in the eye? HALF the original cast is dead (well, I'm not convinced Joe is---I've watched enough soap operas to know even a shrunken head can be written around)!!! IMO, TPTB simply wrote a 14 episode mini-series, expecting that it would be too violent for the mainstream audience and the honchos at Fox and fail to be renewed.

I'm not sure this stays on air if it's not starring Kevin Bacon. Otherwise it's simply a borderline poorly written, small-screen Scream rip off.

I mean, I spent more time wondering why Claire continued to call her son Joey than on any off the silly omnipotent, Svengali-ness of the cult of Joe Carroll.

• 8 months later...
  • Members

Ok. I enjoyed the S2 first episode. But I think that's only because I had a break. It's just so much more of the same. I don't really care about Joe Carroll anymore. And Ryan Hardy as the avenging angel with a hole in his heart is kind of silly. No one would let him get away with that behavior, and I can already tell his niece will be one of Joe's victims. Odd. It's shocking yet predictable all at the same time.

Archived