HBO: Girls

YRBB

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It doesn't matter what you think (even if your Marnie hate/Jessa love is worrying) as long as your realize Elijah is a complete necessity in all our lives. On a sidenote, I am devastatingly in love with Andrew Rannells and have been for years now because of this show and that immaculate performance at the Tony Awards.

• 10 months later...
  • Members

Season 5 premiere was great. 

Marnie continues to be one of the worst characters on television and her fiancé is almost as bad. I pray so hard this marriage ends in divorce, and quickly. Or death. Or something.

Hannah was typical Hannah, same with Shosh.

Jesse continues to be the goddess that she is, and I'm here for her and Adam.

Andrew Rannells in those underwear was reason enough to watch.

• Members

Marnie got exponentially worse when Desi arrived but the first episode was flawless.

I could smell Adam/Jessa a mile away when Hannah left in season 4. Disappointed Lena Dunham is going that route (as it appears so far). 

Love Adam Driver tho and Shosh continues to slay. The make up artist was hilarious as was Marnie's mother. 

• Members

I don't understand you at all, Vix. Marnie is the best character on the show. Of all the narcissism every character elicits, Marnie's is the most entertaining to me.

Whatever is happening with Jessa/Adam, I'm happy it finally looks like Jessa will actually become a part of the show, instead of just floundering around it. For the one actor that was Lena Dunham's true friend before the show started, she sure seems to have left a lot to be desired with Jessa more than any other character on the show.

As for Andrew Rannells, do not mess with me, Vix. I will fight you. (Bianca Del Rio) "Not today, Satan! Not today" (/End Bianca Del Rio)

• Members

Bright Eyes, you are genuinely the ONLY person I have ever heard say a kind thing about Marnie. Everyone I know who watches the show hates her, and every article I read about the show talks about her horrendous she is. All of these characters are narcissistic and self centered, but she is by far the most so. She is whiny and stupid and absolutely never, ever happy. At least Hannah and the others admit they are fucked up and narcissistic, Marnie continuously puts on this false air like she's the happiest, coolest chick in the game. She's a total poser who has no clue what the !@#$%^&*] she wants in life, has no clue how to get it, is so miserable even she can barely stand to be around herself, and she has no real talent. She is the epitome of phony and annoying. She is everything I hate in a person.

I disagree completely about Jessa, I think she has, if anything, been the most stable and consistent character on the show. She may be fucked up, but she's always been true to herself. And she is, honestly, probably the best friend of the bunch (see moments such as the bathtub scene with her and Hannah, her keeping it real/slapping Hannah when Hannah was a delusional bitch, and even in the premiere when she came in saved the day re: hair and makeup.). Not to mention she is stunningly, naturally beautiful. She has the type of beauty Marnie only wishes she can have. (I'm not talking about Alison Williams - she's obviously stunning. The character of Marnie, however, is so deeply insecure and desperate to be the hottest girl in the room, it's sad. Even Lena Dunham, in the "behind the scenes" for this week's episode, described Marnie's look as "what some pop star wore in their music video two summers ago). 

As for Andrew - I know that's your boo, but we can share. Also love the Bianca reference, love love love.

• Members

I guess my view of the show is just very enlightened. (I kid, sort of). I just find Marnie the most hilarious. In a comedy, that's what I look for. I honestly love, and really necessarily hate at some points, all the characters. However, season two, the best season, was all her and she aced it. No character has come into their own like she did in that season.

As for Jessa, my critique wasn't really about her as a character, but her actual plots themselves. She always previously felt too far afield from the rest of the characters. For someone that should be one of the main four, she always feels tacked on. It's just odd to me.

• Members

I will agree Marnie was at her best in season 2. 

I do see what you mean about Jessa being a bit on the peripheral from time to time. I like the show best when the four are together, and unfortunately I've read there isn't much of that this season. I think they thrive best as a unit. 

• Members

I actually like Marnie the most out of the set, and I feel she is the most normal and relatable of the four. You could say that she is directionless, and that she doesn't know what she wants, but I think that's a normal thing for a person in their 20's. Most of all I think the thing Marnie really wants, is just to succeed. She wants to win, and to her that means being perfect and having complete perfection in her life. She wants the perfect rocker-hipster-boyfriend turned cute, husband. She wants the prestigious, effortless career, and she wants high status and she wants to be taken care of, but she wants it all to be effortless and perfect, and she has to realize that life isn't a magazine catalog. But that is very much like everyday millennial adolescents. All of Marnie's jobs have one thing in common -- their status symbols where she can prove she is better than everyone else, merely by existing. I think that's very relatable, even if it is an ugly thing to really want.

I don't really know how to feel about this show anymore. I never really liked the characters, what so ever, but at the same time I feel like watching it out of habit. I actually hated the first season, but I became more interested in the show in the second season when the girls got into relationships. All of them are profoundly dysfunctional, but they make it work more or less. I can't hate one more than the other at this point. I hated Hannah for a long time, but then I realized that she has nothing in her life that means anything and she just wants to matter. She has major issues with her sense of purpose, and she becomes obnoxious and takes up more space because of it. All of these women have tremendous inferiority-superiority complexes.

Jessa's character is odd, and all over the place. Soshanna is easily the lamest duck of the four. She could be written out and I feel no one would notice.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

The Marnie centric episode was, no surprise here, one of my absolute favourites of the series. That surprise return literally made me gasp in happiness. Chris Abbott was always hot, but even with the put on weight, I think he's even hotter. How surprising he showed up considering the rumoured/speculated drama behind his ouster from the show. I guess he and Lena made up.

Marnie really is one of my favourite television characters ever. Lena Dunham, for some reason, just writes her more fully than everyone else, and Allison Williams, whatever her faults as an actress, always manages to pull it off perfectly. I am so grateful for this episode, which I had no idea was coming. What an absolute treat.

• Members

Everyone knows how I feel about Marnie, but this was absolutely one of the best episodes of the series. I was so happy to see Charlie and my heart broke to see what's happened to him. I hope he will be back again before the show ends. This was a nice episode for Marnie because for once she's finally admitted that she's a [!@#$%^&*] disaster and not the put together queen she has been trying to be since season 1. Great episode. 

Archived