Unpopular Opinions on TV (Outside of Soaps)

MissLlanviewPA

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just cannot get over this Seinfeld hate. The show was genius and often hilarious.

Re: Late night. NBC era David Letterman I loved but it is different from Johnny to be sure. Now all the shows are about celebs coming on to make the host look good. Johnny brought celebs on and made them look good, and I loved the idea of stars sticking around the whole show and having occasional comments to each other. Johnny thought Letterman was great, and Letterman did have bits which I think owe inspiration to people like Steve Allen.

• Members

It's my opinion, and I acknowledge that it's unpopular. Bob was 83 when he retired, so of course there'd be more senior moments. IMO, they didn't stop the show from being flawless but added to its charm. The rotating models format didn't hurt the show, IMO (did it change the atmosphere? Yes. But did it hurt it? In my opinion, no.) The sets really didn't bother me much, either.

• Members

Even though we disagree, I certainly prefer Barker in his later years to Carey anyday. However--and this is an unpopular opinion--I think that Drew has become a decent host over the past year or two. (Before that, the Carey era was completely unwatchable. I am shocked that the show remained #1 on network daytime television during that time.)

Another unpopular opinion that I hold is that despite how boring and poorly put together The Revolution was, I think that "Katie" (based on the way the show has so far been marketed) seems to be an even more unnecesary program (as well as a show that is lacking even further in freshness).

• Members

Well, for starters it was often very funny. That's a lot more than most sitcoms, but then the subjects they dealt with were these real things you don't often think about but where there was funny stuff to be found. I loved when they brought on Keith Hernandez and did this whole JFK riff on "The Second Spitter" complete with home movie reenactment, and then Kramer when he found Merv Griffin's old set in the garbage decided to run a talk show in his living room. And George's father was a brilliant character from the manzier to festvus to "do you want a piece of me!" and Jerry's father and the politics of senior retirement communities and how he was run out of office like Nixon. Kramer getting a job, the briss and Kramer objecting to circumcision, the parents insisting "you gotta come see the baby" when in fact the kid was the ugliest baby ever..there is just a ton of great stuff on the show. Sometimes I laughed so hard I had tears in my eyes. Just the idea of Festivus as a holiday still brings a smile to my face. It begins with the airing of grievances and ends with feats of stength as you are forced to wrestle. What other sitcom was ever so absurd?

• Members

Maybe not "out of character" per-say, but it just felt wrong. Joey was supposed to be one of Ross' best friends, and the Rachel/Ross history was SUCH an integral part of the show, that it just felt gross. Not to mention, they just didn't work. Joey wasn't sophisticated enough to date someone like Rachel.

• Members

That 70's Show would have been fine without Ashton Kutcher (despite all the buzz he got). Topher Grace's exit was the one that really hurt the show.

No matter how talented Neil Patrick Harris may be, Barney Stinson should have stayed a supporting character.

I wish ESPN would quite showing dunks, especially in their top 10.

Heroes would have done better if the writers had the cajones to kill off Sylar.

Looking back on it now, I wish Corey and Topanga would have been like normal teenagers and dated around instead of being meant to be.

Archived