DAYS: TV Guide interviews Greg Meng

• Members

NBC has a lot of control now; it's the only way this show has stayed on. I think the writers' plans were derailed in Dec/Jan stories. I think Victor Gialanella was brought back to pen the Almainia story. I don't think this was MarDar's idea. It feels forced and outside the rest of the plotlines. I do think MarDar was weak and needed to be replaced. the show is just so anemic

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Maggie and Victor made about as much sense as AW's Rachel and Carl -- that is, none. It's just that both duos had great chemistry on screen, the women were beloved vets, and all of them could act rings around most of the rest of their casts, so I was willing to go along for the ride. It's just nuts that the Maggie/Victor ride came to such an abrupt end -- a rushed wedding and now a few monthly appearances.

I think there is a place for both Maggie and Marlena on the canvas (and I'd throw in Julie as well, though it'll never happen) -- they don't at all fulfill the same function. I agree that Marlena has to be set loose from John and something has to be done to address the lack of viable leading men -- EJ, Daniel, Rafe, Lucas ... none of them cut it.

• Members

I think DAYS has missed the boat (again, big shocker ... not) by not developing Doug and Julie as the new Alice and Tom. They fit perfectly on the canvas. Both were very flawed back in the day and much like Tom and Alice probably wouldn't pass judgement and be good support for the new generation. Sigh.

• Members

^^ perhaps once upon a time, but they've been gone too long. The real Matriarch/Patriarch of any show has to be part of the daily history, not just an historic couple who have stayed together.

My problem with Marlena is the huge amount of airtime she gets. If she was in equal portions to Maggie and a few others of that generation, she'd probably be more palatable. Perhaps it's time to turn her into a cougar because the relationship with John was played out before they even left. Whatever they do with any of them, status quo is NOT working.

• Members

I like doug and julie but i dont find them needed. I would love to see Julie's grandkids/greatgrandkids brought onto the show tho. I feel Marlena and Maggie serve as the tentpole characters perfectly. Its a shame the writers cant seem to use both of them. While Marlena was gone, Sami had some great stuff with Maggie and Julie, and with her and Marlena on the outs it would be nice to see her turn to them since for some reason Caroline is not on anymore (I believe someone said Peggy was having health issues).

Have Marlena & Maggie even talked since she returned? They were bestfriends over the years, always. You would mar would be like "Maggie Kiriakis? What!" or something.

• Members

Peggy was on last month and appeared in the beginning of April but other that that she was absent for a while. I have to admit I loved that both Maggie and Caroline gained new importance under Tomlin and Higley and unfortunately that has gone away.

And nope no Maggie/Marlena scenes which has ticked me off lol.

• Members

They say characters can't interact like they used to because of budgets and contract guarantees. But since when did budgets interfere with one character mentioning another in dialogue? We get that times are tough economically and soaps aren't what they used to be, but just having Marlena, for example, say, "I wonder if Maggie is still getting used to being a Kiriakis" would mean a lot to the folks at home, you know?

Archived