DAYS: TV Guide interviews Greg Meng

• Members

I'm not disagreeing about the romance aspect but honestly I haven't seen a good romance on soaps for years and people seem to ooh over the love scenes. Maggie and victor were likely the best romance on Days for years because it was natural, slow, and didn't get shoved down the viewers throats. The show missed some opportunities with real conflict by not bringing Melissa or Sarah back to town though and instead did that stupid egg baby story. And frankly I don't care how much buzz the super couples get, they need to go. They haven't driven ratings in a positive direction at all. If they want to keep Bo and hope it's time to bring Shawn back or soars Ciara.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree, totally.

However, i dont think marlena needs to go, but john does. she works so well without him, he truly brings her down. Bo and Hope work because they are so basic and supporting instead of being sold as a leading amazing starcrossed lovers who overcome the odds like John/Mar.

• Members

That's just it, these folks haven't done a thing for ratings. CC and PM have been absolutely useless, and DH2…. well I won't belabour my feelings on those two. I imagine PR and KA will remain simply because who they are connected to on the canvas. (They are the only real links of Horton/Brady/Kiriakas)

From where I sit the entire "reboot" and what followed was hideous and I stopped watching anything regularly. I have no problem if this means the regime is returning to life as it was before last September. The only problem now is that great stories that were starting with Carly, Chloe, Quinn and Vivian can't be revisited. But nothing says Happy Days to me more than getting Marlena Black and family off the screen.

• Members

<p>

</p>

<p>All of it was rushed. My particular favourite - Magic - went from something we watched build slowly and solidly, acknowledging a lot of their issues and differences, to a fluffed over horrid excuse for a wedding just weeks after Maggie told him she wouldn't marry him yet. And then they vanished. The media buzz on Magic and Suzanne Rogers <em>finally</em> being used to her potential again went on for two years, then nothing. There was no payoff for that romance, I can tell you. Weddings should not be that shoddy. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Brady and Madison could have had that sexual tension milked for months. Instead we had some cheesy scenes with body products, quickly followed by a romp and everlasting devotion. Carrie and Austin were the worst returns of all, completely lacklustre characters who haven't got chemistry anymore, and the list just goes on. Fanfiction has more depth than these writers did.</p>

<p> </p>

<div id="myEventWatcherDiv" style="display:none;"> </div>

• Members

I agree. My annoyance with MarDar started once they quickly married off Maggie and Victor and then dropped them to one or two appearances a month again.

I don't want to see Drake Hogestyn canned for what, the third time? but I really think Marlena works so much better alone. Marlena has really worked this time and if they fire Deidre Hall ... ugh, that's going to really suck big time. They need her. It's shown. She adds a ton to the canvas, whether you like her or not.

• Members

I don't know what I'd do with them. All the super couples have had their stories, day in the sun, and are played out. I like Marlena in a supporting role but I actually miss Maggie filling that matriarchal role on the show. I actually liked how they used Victor, Maggie, Stefano, and even Kate to a certain extent under the prior regime. I'm not sure id ax Bo and Hope but they need more than mysteries or playing cops. I think if Shawn were around and Ciara too it might give them some purpose outside of the tired played out stories we've seen.

• Members

If not for the fact that Josh Taylor, and not Wayne Northrop, is portraying Roman these days, I would be in favor of a Roman/Marlena redeux, with John and Brady groomed slowly for an eventual triangle with Nicole. But right now? Who knows?

• Members

My annoyance started when Marlena and John were the "Guests of Honour" at the naming of the Horton Town Square. I knew I was going to hate it from that moment on, and time has only confirmed that I was right. What they did to Magic was criminal. The only consolation was they didn't destroy Magic, but what did happen was second only to destruction. And now the writers are doing that very thing to State. I just hope the damage doesn't go too far before a new team can correct these failings.

• Members

The same could be said for every actor on the show. The ratings will only go up if we get real stories.

As for Victor and Maggie, I think they're an awful couple. I can't stand Suzanne Rogers over the top acting and I hate that Victor has become a complete pusssy.

• Members

Stefano and Kate (I refuse to call them a silly name like State) are fine as partners in crime. But as a married couple in love they suck. And the way it was done is a perfect example of lazy plot writing were Kate went from being a hostage to loving Stefano over night.

• Members

That's true but Victor only became that way because that's all we saw him in while Stefano like it or not was still given substantial story and screen time outside of Kate. And frankly while the stories were nonsense, I liked that more balanced Stefano better than what we are seeing now. Frankly his obsession with Marlena and yeah his obsession with EJ is old now too. They missed an opportunity to do a real Kiriakis vs Dimera rivalry with EJ and Phillip as the new blood and Stefano and victor behind them. It would have been more interesting than EJs never ending love triangles and the perils of Sami.

• Members

<p>^^ All of these character would have been better served to treat them as they are today, not as remakes of who they were 20+ years ago.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>One scene on the docks really stands out for me with the older crew - Maggie, Victor, Kate and Stefano were talking. I think it was just before that ridiculous shooting (yeah, SR is OTT at times, but I've loved her since I was a kid so I'll forgive her). At that moment I could almost feel the real power emanating from those vets. Between them they have over 100 years history on Days, and they are the story keepers for most of the younger characters. The interweaving of friendships and rivalries between those four could spiral out to hit everyone and drive story for years to come. But alas, mind-numbing remakes of a past era clouded vision and that potential was thrown aside.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'm beginning to think a large part of the problem is no one in writing teams - regardless of which show they write for - understands what maturity and personal growth looks like. Once upon a time when actors reached their 60's and 70's, they were automatically the Elders of the show who baked cookies or leant an ear, but not much more. Now we have an entire generation who physically can do a lot, but their maturity is every bit in keeping with the sages. What do you do with them? Making them act like they are in their 30's is certainly not the answer.</p>

<div id="myEventWatcherDiv" style="display:none;"> </div>

• Members

This is the most I have enjoyed Stefano since he came back 5 years ago. And he's not obsessed with Marlena anymore. I agree about his EJ obsession and that's why I'm afraid what Tomlin and Whitesell will do with Stefano. Because in 2009-2011 Stefano was only on the show to be EJ's sounding board or to have him yell at EJ. And they made Stefano and Kate a happy couple in love because Joe wanted it, but it was all filler. MarDar have been awul but their writing for Stefano is at least better than Sheffer and Higley/Whitesell's versions of him.

Agreed.

Archived