DAYS: Research finds out how the first "Days" death really happened

• Members

"Days" history fans, get ready for your next "Days" history lessons!!

Coming soon:

Learn how the first death on "Days" really happened...it's not entirely accurate how it's listed in the history books!

Plus, find out who had a big crush on Tom Horton in the early days of "Days."

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here is the way the first major death in "Days of Our Lives" history (that of Susan & David Martin's son, Dickie) was described in "Days of Our Lives: The Complete Family Album" (1995): "One early summer day, David took Dickie to the playground. There were other children, new sights and sounds, swings, slides and a sandbox. Innocently thinking the swing would be safe fun, David placed the baby in the harness that was too big to keep the younger children securely in place. Within a short time, Dickie slipped out of the swing and struck his head."

However, that description is not too accurate. It was not summer, they were not at a playground, nor around any other children...but in their own backyard. Now, after 45 years, find out how the first major death on "Days of Our Lives" really took place on Monday, May 15, 1967.

Be sure to check back over the next week as additional episodes detail the fallout from baby Dickie's death...and find out what Susan decides to do to her husband, David!

http://www.jason47.com

• Members

Thanks, Carl. Hopefully over the next few years, we can delve into more "Days" history and find out in greater detail what happened in all of the other major events!

I'm looking forward to finding out about Jennifer's birth (which has been re-written to September 1976), but actually aired during a snow storm in February 1976.

Also, will be cool to find out the vows & stuff that happened during Mickey & Laura's wedding, Bill & Laura's wedding, etc...

• Members

It has also never been described how hostile David was during all this, and how he wanted a divorce and planned to move to New York. I know he and Julie wanted to be together, but it wasn't clear how that played out. Thanks for all this insight. I wish there were more in depth synopsis from Bell's 10 years on Days. The best era of that show.

• Members

This is great. I can't wait to read about it.

From what I understand, Susan and David were miserable at the start of their shotgun wedding and at one point Susan went riding on a wild horse at David's parents house to cause a miscarriage, but it didn't work. There was a softening period between the two of them, but I'm unclear as to when they went from giving the baby up for adoption to deciding to keep it. I was also under the impression that Julie was the driving force in getting David to runaway with her and the affair, as David was getting adjusted to life as a new father and Susan's husband. I didn't realize that David had become hostile as well.

• Members

Thanks, Jason47, this has been fascinating to read. I look forward to future updates.

I squirmed reading the scene where David puts Dickie in the swing. I wonder how the audience felt watching that, knowing, but not knowing, what was about to happen. It was actually a bit of a turn off because it seemed so reckless on David's part.

It's interesting to get the added layers of the story that others have mentioned. Susan coming to grips with the end of her marriage and looking forward to a life with Dickie (and possibly Bill Horton). The conflict in the Martin home over David's decision to move to New York and all that this encompasses. Jason, am I correct in assuming the audience is aware at this point that Julie is pregnant. Susan's comment about making a life with Julie in New York and about being better to her than to Dickie seemed to imply that on my end.

Overall, I get quite a different picture of Susan Hunter Martin. She seems like she was always in a heightened emotional state, but justified based on her backstory and the obstacles that presented themselves in the story. When Dickie dies, I can understand Susan's decision to kill David as not only was he abandoning her, but he had taken away the one person who truly loved her.

The inclusion of Marie in those scenes was interesting. I wonder if they revisited her lost child after Dickie's death as Susan seems rather aware of the Horton family dealings (she mentioned Marie having an uncontested divorce). I do think the show should have explored the possibility of marriage between Bill and Susan at some point as it would have provided some interesting conflict for Julie, tied Susan to Horton clan, and provided Susan with the warm loving family she never seemed to find growing up or in her married life.

• Members

Yeah, I got that same impression from that comment, too. I guess maybe the audience would know by then? Looking over the monthly cast charts, Julie really wasn't around much at all from April-December 1967. She was in around 20 episodes between April-September 1967, then she was off the show totally from October-December 1967. And then back big time in January 1968, with baby David's first appearance on 1/29/68. So, if they did the correct timeline, I doubt they would know she was pregnant yet (mid-May 1967 for last week of Jan. 1968 birth)? It's 8.5 months before she gives birth. If, however, she has one of those 11 month pregnancies, I guess the audience might know by then that she was pregnant! Depends on if she gave birth off screen...or not until she came back to Salem and gave birth in Jan. 1968. The set lists do list "Julie's Hospital Room" from 1/24/68 onward, so I'm guessing that is the birth week.

Archived