Could a 5th hour of Today be the end if DAYS?

Eric83

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's why ABC does for the most part whenever I turn to ABC, it's some news show. NBC will at least throw in a reality show during the day time(The play some type of Real Housewives often) I wonder though if they were to add another hour of the Today show, would they move DAYS temporarily to another network because of backlash like they did with Passions?

• Members

That's not the way it works. In fact, affiliates LOVE to have time given back to them CBS and ABC have done the same thing over the years. In essence, ABC broadcasts 4 hours (TV, TC, TR, GH); CBS 4.5 hours (TPIR, Y&R, B&B, TT, LMAD) and NBC 3 hours (Today 3, 4 and DOOL). A fifth-hour of Today doesn't change anything. The affiliates are way more unhappy with the performance of NBC's primetime line-up. Seriously, this week the 10 p.m. slot demo: Monday (2.1.) Tuesday (1.5) Wed. (0.8!) and Thursday (0.9!). These numbers are HORRIBLE and they lead into the late-night news. DAYS is one of the few recognizable shows on NBC. Not going anywhere for a couple of years.

• Members

Well, they deserve these numbers. I have no idea what shows they air at 10 PM and that is probably part of the problem. Everyone know where to find Mad Men or the The Killing or Game Of Thrones, True Blood and other shows that made their mark. What crap is NBC pushing, Law and Order: Shreveport?

• Members

Honestly, I'm relieved Matt signed again with Today, could you imagine Ryan Seacrest at the morning desk?! I'd shoot myself.

Today's Professionals could successfully launch and it could do so in syndication or they could shuffle Kathie Lee and Hoda to what is now the 3rd hour of Today and have Today's Professionals segue into the rest of the daypart, leaving DAYS intact.

• Members

Ryan Seacrest will only be left with DCRE....Idol doesnt have much time left. I am sure Fox will milk the show until it hits the 4s in the ratings. I never got the big hoopla about the Today Show...Ive always been a GMA fan....but I think Days are numbered.

• Members

Just to add to the conversation, during sweeps, Star Jones was a guest on The Wendy Williams Show. During the interview, she hinted that the Today Show segment The Professionals in which she stars in along with Donny Deutsch and Dr. Nancy Snyderman maybe getting its own show.

• Members

I feel people are underestimating Ryan Seacrest. He started out as just a DJ, found himself a perfect host for TV, did ok filling in for Larry King, became a producer...and all he started out as was a DJ. Now he is going to the Olympics and who even knows if he knows anything about sports? He will do his homework and research and go on and sound as knowledgeable and comfortable talking about sports as Jim McKay. There is no reason why he could not brush up on the names of political leaders and cities and report the news. He has a pleasant voice and as we learned with Katie Couric you don't need any sort of gravitas or even news credentials to do the news anymore. All you need is a smile and perhaps a Mart Hart spotlight on your legs behind a peek-a-boo desk.

• Members

I love Mary Hart. A class act in entertainment coverage if there ever was one.

You're absolutely right, there's nothing stopping Ryan from rising to the very top of the heap.

I just don't ever want to see him on the top of any heap that I watch because he grates on me. Simple as that. If I had to choose no Today Show or a Today Show with Seacrest, I'd choose no Today Show.

He's right up there with Jessica Simpson on DaytimeFan's Celebrity Hate List.

Archived