What Direction does DAYS go now?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Thanks! :)

I don't think Marlena has ever been on trial for murder. I would put Marlena on trial for Stefano's murder so we can show the history between these two characters and there would be a lot of flashbacks during the trial. When she's found guilty, it leads to Marlena's execution (of course she's saved at the last second). Also by having Marlena on trial and near execution, I follow in Jim Reilly's path of having her in a big, outlandish storyline which I'm positive will get good ratings. :)

I don't think either of them has been dead yet so why not make then both "dead". LOL

These are the types of storylines I want to see too. Big, crazy, fun.

Yeah, I was sort of joking. The Smith Island Killer would DAYS' version of Sunset Beach's Terror Island storyline. LOL

Thanks! It's not an original idea or anything but it's the type of storylines DAYS should be doing. :)

I'm a Jim Reilly fan so the pacing would be similar to his first run on DAYS.

• Members

Seeing as how Marlena is the character at the center of some of Days best known stories (Salem Strangler,Possession and Salem Stalker) it seems a no brainer for Days to go down that path again.

I'd have Marlena summoned to Colorado with the news her mom has passed.Her Dad says that in her final months in a care facility,Ma Evans believed that Samantha was still alive and claimed to have had visits,phone calls and letters.Her Dad said that it brought her comfort and so he went along with it.He mentions that Don Craig kept in contact.

Marlena visits Don and finds that despite initial impressions he has turned to drink.When she leaves,Don reveals a shrine to Marlena and their happy times.Marlena tells Maggie,who is determined to help Don,which raises Victor's ire.

This brings up memories of Samantha and her death (cue flashbacks) and Marlena and Don's past.

Then it seems Samantha is still alive.Marlena gets phone calls,e mails etc.with information only Samantha would know.

At the same time a new character arrives and befriends Sami.Over the months we find she is Samantha's daughter,who blames Marlena for taking her mother away from her.

John has some 'accidents' which appear to be attempts on his life.

Other strange events occur eg Marlena gets flowers on her anniversary to her marriage to Don.It seems he sent them but when they track down the florist,she says a woman who looked like Marlena ordered them etc

Celeste is involved with claims that Samantha is back.

Don's strange behaviour also points to him as a suspect

There are several reveals along the way,with Samantha's daughters identity revealed and all evidence pointing to her and Don also becoming a suspect..

But the final twist is that Marlena has developed a split personality and taken on Samantha's identity.

The battle is then on as Samantha attempts to take control.

• Members

With all due respect, I do NOT want another story where Marlena is under some sort of psychological distress. Not only does it make her career as a psychiatrist look suspect, but it's been done too often and it's made the once-resilient doc look incredibly stupid and gullible.

• Members

Also, as much as I enjoy the idea and set up of the story, Marlena wouldn't even be the first DAYS character with DID, seeing as Kim already went through this around '92. Much as I otherwise like the idea, I think the audience would have major issues with yet another DID storyline.

• Members

Thanks for the feedback.Days has repeated so many stories that throwing in the DID angle,20 years after Kim didn't seem such a bad thing.

I was looking at it more in terms of hyping up the story and putting Marlena front and center with plenty of drama.

OK ,if we drop the DID angle,how about the Samantha's daughter/Don Craig elements?

• Members

I think it's just the overkill of it all. IMO, once you have what is arguably the definitive DID storyline (in the OLTL Viki circa 1995 story), I really think any new ones are just going to pale in comparison. I totally like the shock of the reveal, but remember that GH also has a DID story going on right now, so it's not like they're even the only ones going there at the moment.

I say have one of Stefano's clones be "Samantha". Just threw that out there XD

But yea, the Don reintroduction I especially like. The Ma Evans part actually made me think a lot the kind of story Y&R would've told in the Bell era.

• Members

Now that story I COULD get behind, as long as it resulted in nobody being killed off ala SSK. I'm a firm believer in work with what you have, especially with all these changes and so many actors who went underused during Marlene/Darrell's era.

But that story: Nice! And it utilizes history in an effective way.

• Members

I like Paul Raven's idea.

I think new writers, before they create brand new characters, before they make story pitches, should always look at the show's history to see what's out there, that hasn't been tapped into before they even type the first word on the computer. I bet any long time fan of Days or any soap, can name off the top of their heads, five dropped story threads or characters that the show could revisit.

Archived