What Direction does DAYS go now?

• Members

I agree. How can people decry the state soaps is in and then say "oh, Days needs to be canceled."

I will say whatever state the show is in (and I don't HATE it now, it's just messy) it has longtime fans, cast and crew, and it also feels like a real soap. Even when it's boring or things aren't working, if it makes any sense, I still know I'm watching Days. And it's never truly lost that essence, as opposed to say, Y&R. I watched that show regularly. I watch it now and it's very much not a show with any kind of vibe I recognize as Y&R (much like that weird ATWT period years ago). But as long as it feels like I'm coming to Salem whenever I watch it, Days and I are good.

I'm interested in Tomlin's approach, he seemed to be the fixer while Higley was on board. And I enjoyed some of Higley's stuff. For the large part it was awful, but if Tomlin was responsible for the good stuff, then I say bring it on.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'd say Days feels very much like a soap to me and many other people. It's one show that's at least about families interacting, much like B&B. Repeat storylines aren't wanted, but it doesn't mean the show doesn't feel like a real soaps.

• Members

I think it may be a difference of when you started watching. Soaps were all about family interaction (and romance) through the late 70s. Intrigue, adventure, highly stylized romance and "hype-able" stories became big in the 80s.

• Members

I'm not talking about what a soap "should" be, I started watching in the 90s. What I'm saying is that I look on my screen and I recognize Days. It and B&B are the soaps that have had the least cast upheaval, at least pay attention to history and it feels like I'm watching the same characters I've been watching for years.

• Members

I'm just going to shoot out some storyline ideas, though I'm hardly a writer.

Stefano has a serious health setback when

and lands in a coma, clinging to life. Kate and EJ conflict over who controls the Dimera empire with Stefano's incapacitation...when the moment comes to decide whether to remove him from life support Kate and EJ have an explosive argument that culminates in the reveal that Stefano's living will names Marlena as the one to make the decision, leading to further complications for Kate, EJ, Abe

, John and Marlena. Kate will ultimately find an ally where she least expects it.

Maggie suffers a relapse in her alcoholism after suffering a two pronged tragedy: Daniel dies in a mountain climbing accident while Victor, reeling in his own grief, focuses on work overseas. Maggie secretly drinks, little bits here and there, before dramatically falling down the stairs at the Kiriakis mansion in a stupor. Lucas, Victor, Marlena, Melanie, Hope and Jennifer stage an intervention. Maggie balks, runs from the mansion and is involved in a head on collision with Austin and Carrie's car, Gabby is on board with them. Austin is seriously injured (allowing for an Austin Peck recast) and Gabby is killed. The town turns on Maggie, though Carrie sees that Maggie is in a tailspin and stands up as her defence.

Nicole and Rafe raise "their" baby with comedic consequences and Nicole is revealed to be a hapless mother who relies on Rafe for support. In time, the two fall in like with each other and wonder what their feelings really mean. A jealous Sami discovers the paternity secret and lords it over Nicole, insisting that she distance herself from Rafe. Nicole, fearing what would happen if EJ was revealed as the father, agrees to Sami's demands. Unfortunately, Rafe is then scooped up by a predatory Billie and Sami is left alone once more. She swears revenge on Kate's daughter and works to expose Billie's work with the ISA.

Will and Sonny become a couple, but Will has a wandering eye and cheats on a distraught Sonny who begins working at Titan in order to bury himself in work. Sonny begins to develop a rivalry with Brady over gaining Victor's approval, with Ian's help Sonny rises to the top of Titan. Marlena counsels Will to accept his faults, while Kate cries foul on Will's actions. The Grandmotherly Rivalry escalates at Will's birthday party when Kate and Marlena get in an old school catfight.

Hope fears that she has uterine cancer when she begins to have irregular bleeding. She and Bo brace for the worst when it is revealed that Hope is having a "change of life baby" and the two have to come to terms with the risks of carrying the child to term with Bo and Hope having clashing opinions. Hope has a complicated pregnancy and Bo has to make the difficult decision, his wife or his unborn child, when Hope falls ill.

Lucas takes over managing Chez Rouge for Maggie and throws a fundraiser for the Alice Horton Foundation, as the citizens of Salem gather a twister touches down in the county, leading everyone to board themselves up into Chez Rouge and brace for the worst. Loves are declared, hatred spills over and tragedy strikes a supercouple.

• Members

Does anyone remember Reilly's storyline, "The Night the Lights Went Out In Salem"? I think it was a prelude to the Possession, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I think something like that is a great way to re-energize a series and would serve as a great jumping off point for new stories.

Anyway, I guess I'm just not sure what the typical, average Days fan wants from the show. Do they want Reilly type stories? Do they want 80s supercouple/adventure stories? They obviously don't want the family drama stuff that MarDar was serving up. I could be wrong, but it seems like the show has coasted since 1997 without a clear vision or an identity. Every time it seems like something is about to take, they switch gears again. So what else is left?

Archived