What Direction does DAYS go now?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'd honestly rather see an angry gay man, or a bitch, or a vixen. I think Rex as the villain stealing Seth from Jessica had that potential, and JPL's almost flat, ambivalent affect for his first six or so months on OLTL - he was almost totally a cipher, very laid-back but always thinking, which played into that scheming thing, until overnight he started banging chicks and became a much broader, snarkier character. I'm tired of seeing cardboard saints and suffering kids, which is what I think soaps typically do with their gay characters. I think Will has, or had, the potential for a lot more and that was just being explored. It's time to get people dirty.

• Members

I don't have a problem with an angry gay man as much as I have a problem with poor reasoning, and bad pacing. He went in a rage for a flimsy reason, and then repeated this in a loop for months. Since then the story just seemed to stall out, with the same scenes with Marlena and EJ about a hundred times. Then there were the plot holes (he idealized Rafe and yet had no reaction when he learned Rafe was cheating with Carrie?). I think the scenes where he shoved Sami around and called her a whore, again with no real followup, were the worst in this.

I would have had him slowly turn against Sami, and spent more time explaining why he hates himself, other than "just because." As it is he just ended up seeming bratty for no apparent reason.

• Members

It's weird, I couldn't even imagine DAYS doing some BIG storyline like JER did with the SSK, but that is exactly what they need to do. For me the reboot failed because they wanted to capture the ideas of the 90s without capturing the spirit of the 90s -- the balls to the wall show that surprised you sometimes and gave you exactly what you expected others but in ways you didn't see coming.

They need to do something that will get people talking and want to tune in. And there will be cast pruning. Nobody is going to get their ideal in that situation unfortunately but hopefully they will at least lop off some low hanging fruit first like Brady, Madison, Rafe, and Daniel before going to the next level which is gonna be more controversial and guaranteed to piss people off.

• Members

I didn't like their OLTL stint either, it was far too light (Todd faking his kid's death for laughs) and simultaneously far too dark (Todd faking his kid's death for laughs). And OLTL won Outstanding Daytime Drama for the year they head wrote. Probably the biggest wtf Outstanding Daytime Drama to me (at least up until then...)

• Members

I was never a big fan of Days or watched but now I am because of the Will story. I of course knew of the characters but I think it is time to cancel Days. I mean really hiring the same writer after writer that have failed. Not even my ATWT did that....every HW writer was new to ATWT.

• Members

It is not time to cancel DAYS. This show has another 10 years left in it if they get their act together.

If you think otherwise, why even bother posting in this thread? I mean everyone is entitled to his/her opinion but it can make this place kinda negative to come to.

• Members

I think if they drop the whole Carrie/Rafe thing and go into a new direction with Sami, EJ, Nicole and Rafe the show could be a lot better. I wouldn't mind seeing Austin , John, Daniel, Melanie, Ian and Madison leave either. I just feel like their out of place somehow.

• Members

From the little I've seen, the Will story suffered from something the show suffered in general, albeit maybe even more so--how disjointed and badly paced it was. I mean what you'd think were major events were glossed over--like when he was upset he ran into random gay friends of friends, agreed to go to their random gay party and that was one of the dialy cliffhangers and then we don't sere him for a week and NO mention of the gay party (maybe it was a meth fueled bender). Similarly last week the cliffhanger was him finally (finally) saying he was gay, or whatever--fade to black and he's not on for four episodes... (I do agree though with your opinion re the unlikeability too).

IMHO Gary and Chris do tend to edge on the side f camp (or go full out camp), though that may not be as noticeable on Days which has had a camp element for a while (except when it's just been dull)

Archived