OWN Cancels The Rosie Show

Jonathan

• Members

It's interesting that OWN picked up Tony Robbin's CANCELED series that once aired on NBC for two episodes. Her Next Chapter with Tony Robbins was one of the lowest rated. OWN is even rerunning the same promos that NBC used to promote the show. facepalm.gif

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Tony Robbins and Iyanla Vanzant are joining Oprah in Toronto for Life Class taping, it's taping at the Toronto Convention Centre, capacity for 8,000 with tickets going between $300-$600. Her American Life Class tapings are free.

• Members

Fox has been a battle of ups and down since that network started too. It started in the mid 1980's and it had very little on. remember it had Joan rivers talk show (when she left Johnny Carson) and that failed within a year. it had married with Children but that wasn't really a "must see TV" at all. Even on the show it joked that people didn't watch Fox.

and then in 1990 a little show called Beverly Hills 90210 came on and that started bringing Fox out of it's slump and then when Melrose Place came on a couple of years later, Fox found it's footing. Melrose and 90210 were very popular shows and they were also long running 90210 lasted the entire decade and Melrose went on for seven seasons. it really put Fox on the map.

• Members

Yes, again it takes YEARS to build a network and to find its footing. Look at Bravo. It's one of the most popular cable channels now, thanks in part to the Housewives. Ten years ago, no one gave a crap about it.

Unfortunately, for Oprah, people have said OWN was DOA. She did admit that last year when the network launched, she didn't give it her full attention. That was a HUGE mistake. She let OWN twist in the wind while she was busy with her talk show. She needed to devote 110 percent of her time to OWN from the beginning.

• Members

Interesting. The restructuring seems geared towards getting more Discovery people into it. Now, that's either because Discovery knows how to run a channel and they want to turn OWN around...or it's Discovery's beginning of transition between OWN and a new venture.

• Members

I loved the Discovery Health channel. That was Must Watch TV for me. I'm not sure how somebody felt Oprah and DH would be a good match. Oprah and Lifetime or Oxygen might have been a better match. DH should reclaim the channel after getting more original airings of their old programs in the can. Oprah should give up on the channel and just do specials.

Gaga's 21 million Twitter followers didn't help Oprah... Oprah's ratings for the Lady Gaga interview she was showboating on the Whitney Houston family special:

Oprah’s Next Chapter (OWN)

-9 PM:

808,000 total viewers

0.30 in Adult 18-49

• Members

Coming off 3.5 million viewers (and 1.2 demo) the previous week, I think the network was hoping for at least a million. I was expecting at least 1.3 to 1.5 million considering the smart advertising tactic and considering the network had gotten a million or more viewers for non-Whitney programming before.

• Members

Don't you think it needs more time? We have heard many criticizms in the last 20 years of media in general not giving shows and/or networks time to grow or find their audience. Let's keep in mind that Y&R was at the bottom of the ratings heap, then leapt to number 3 in 18 months after the electric pairing of Dickson/Cooper. Mary Tyler Moore's show didn't really gain big momentum until it's second season, there are example after example of this. I think Oprah needs more programming, more variety... not show things in these massive blocks. And today, MEtv, and AntennaTV are stealing what TVland used to have in the way of viewers.

Archived