Ranking Viki's alters

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I never understood how or why Wes manifested. I get why Bess did, Jessica couldn't deal with her baby being stillborn and neither could Tess so Bess was used to resolved the conflict and stole a baby so Tessica wouldn't have to. But Wes, that never made any sense whatsoever to me.

Back to Victoria though how would you order the alters in terms of strength? I think Niki was probably the strongest alter. She seemed to be the one character who was able to stay out for extended amounts of time without weakening and having other alters pop out under her watch. Jean seemed to have a hard time staying out most of the time and was easily exhausted.

• Members

There was so much that the writers needed to rewrite and change in order for Jessica to have DID, to the point where the mere idea of it is preposterous. Why would Niki an alter created to protect Viki from rape, risk putting another little girl (Viki's daughter no less) in the same situation continuously? Even if Niki was morally bankrupt and reprehensible it still doesn't make any sense for Niki to take Jessica out of the house so she could go to bars/motels and have sex. Surely she could have found a baby sitter or just left Jessica alone with Clint or her brothers or something. The whole DID storyline for Jessica reeked of the writers having no clue how to make Jessica an interesting character on her own. If anything Natalie would be the character to fragment and crumble considering Roxie's dubious parenting skills.

• Members

IA with you on the points of the story. It also did damage to Viki as she said she noticed something was off with Jessica in the morning back then yet she NEVER followed up on it or investigated what was going wrong with her. I cant beleive Viki could be so negligent and pretty much allow her abuse to continue as a result of her failure as a parent in that situation. And where the hell was Clint? He was a constant presence in Jessica's life growing up. With that said, IA with Antoyne, in that despite the flaws in the story, I dont think the character of Tess was a joke. She was layered and stood on her own quite well, to the point that she was better written then dare say Jessica at that point. Its too bad they had to do such a hack job to the history of the characters to make this story work

• Members

I believe it was stress and pressure from being Victor Lord's daughter. She developed a wild personality to contrast the prim and proper persona she was expected to be as Victoria Lord. It soon came out this stemmed from watching her mother be killed following a fall from the stairs as a child.

• Members

According to the OLTL 40th anniversary book, the explanation for Niki's first appearances on the show is as follows:

"As a little girl, Viki thought she had witnessed her father killing her mother. While Viki had seen her mother's death, the circumstances surrounding it had been misintererpered. Yes, her mother and father had been arguing at the stop of the stairs at Llanfair, but her father had not pushed his wife down the stairs. She had slipped during the argument and fallen. Viki's coming to that revealation in the late 1960s seemed to cure her of her need for the Niki personality."

From there, it eventually morphed into Viki walking in on her father and Irene doing the nasty, to her discovery as a teen that her father had built an underground city, where her first love Roger Gordon was killed (although he would later turn out to be alive), and that her father had had all of that (as well as being pregnant with Megan) wiped from her memory, to the ultimate revealation that her father had sexually abused her as a child in 1995.

• Members

I also did not buy that storyline of Jessica/Tess being taken to bars by Niki when she was a little girl. I hated that storyline and convinced myself it might have happend when Viki was recovering from her stroke and couldn't control Niki comming out (like when she shot Johnny Dee). But then i have to remember when Jessica was a little girl, Cord and Tina were also living at Llanfair (i beleive). and don't forget about Herron, the butler and a houseful of staff. and i am sure Clint came home eventually. Niki musn't have stayed out long. unless Clint just went to bed and said, "Oh well Viki must be in another part of the house tonight. and Jessica must be with her." No! it's not like it was a normal house with just a mother, father and three children. I don't think Erika "bought it" either.

and Tess said she came out sometimes during the day when Jessica was a child. I also don't beleive that because especially during the day the house was flooded with realtives and staff. Nobody noticed that little Jessica wasn't acting like herself? Tina? Cord? Megan? Asa? Renee? Bo? Sarah? Herron? Clint? Viki? Wanda? Doctor Larry? forget it....

Viki's DID was so much more thought out. All she had was her father and her younger sister. Victor never remarried until Dorian (he didn't have time...he was bedding every young girl in Llanview in that secret room.)

• Members

Tess was great when she first came on. Say what you want about Dena's OLTL and how it is a total retcon to make it work, but tess was an interesting character and Bree played her perfectly. Ron never wrote Tess as serious, she was always a joke and high camp and BW went OTT playing it. jessica has always sucked though and i wish tess had become the dominant personality.

Archived