• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

It should. She was old enough to be the other guy's mother so the dynamic between the characters should be different now wit an actor about her age. Its significant. The movie was supposed to be about the couple and their opinionated familes, which makes me think age definitely played a factor. The ages of his family will be off and the cougar angle doesnt make sense anymore.

Taking her out of the equation, someone in their early 30s vs late 40s are in two completely different stages of their lives. The experiences and how you write them needs to be different. Its not a simple swap unless they plan to re-envision what the character is

Edited by Cheap21

• Members

As someone who has written scripts, I see what you are saying but until I see the script, I can't make a judgement on whether it's about the age difference, or a difference in ethnicity, which could be an equally important or even bigger issue. Lopez had the say so and apparently, Duhamel was one of her first choices for replacement, so that's... something.

Also, scripts get rewritten many times over ( which can be a bad thing as often as it can be good). If they are still in pre-production, it's possible that some of the ideas were ever evolving anyway.

If people really held firm to things like age, the movie version of The Wiz would've had Stephanie Mills and not Diana Ross.

Edited by DramatistDreamer