Edited by John

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I can definitely picture Joseph Cross. He had a big growth spurt and just showed up one day during the Margo Hepatitis C storyline like 6 inches taller than the last time we'd seen him. I have zero memory of Ian Boyd and Peter Vack in the role. Or Scott Porter for that matter. But Joseph Cross, Zach Roerig, and Billy Magnussen were all memorable to me.

• Members

I vaguely recall his presence, but Joseph Cross did basically nothing on ATWT AFAIK. He was one of the last of the kid Caseys, rarely seen and even more rarely heard. I know him as a brilliant (and cute) adult character actor. He's in a ton of stuff, including Milk and David Fincher's Mindhunter.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Joseph Cross 2nd Episode starting at 15 mins

Joseph Cross last Day starting at 3:42

Ian Boyd Starts at 50 sec in

Peter Vack Comes in at 11:31

Zach Roerig at 1:49

Billy Magnussen at 1:25

Temp Casey, Scott Porter at 57 seconds with Voice over

Edited by John

• Members

Boyd and Vack were both on less than a year, and, as such, haven't done much with the role. Cross, by contrast, was on for quite a few years (longer than Roerig and Magnussen), but his Casey was definitely still a kid, who was often sent upstairs after a few seconds on the screen. 

It's interesting to me though that Cross, Roerig and Magnussen (and Porter, for that matter) have all gone on to have reasonable careers in primetime/movies.

• Members

While some may be quibbling about this being Oscar bait due to it fall release date, I really do believe that this was a passion project for director Kasi Lemmons (Nella Franklin #3, ATWT). 

Though the selection of Tony award winning actress Cynthia Erivo had been a controversial one but the trailer looks solid.

• Members

Because she's British.

In a way, I understand it because I hate it when people mangle accents but I don't remember any hue and cry when she played Miss Celie on Broadway.  Is it because Tubman was a historical character and not a fictional one?

I think Erivo may have pushed back on the criticisms in an interview some time ago, which made her critics even more upset.  I can't remember what she said but I do remember that, at the time, even I was like "she should've just said nothing". 

Honestly, she looks and sounds good in this trailer though. 

• Members

There were a few mumurs about Oyelowo playing Dr. King but there was more criticism of Selma (and by extension DuVernay) in general.  You're right, there was basically little to no complaining about Ejiofor perhaps because Steve McQueen, the director is British as well but I think the criticisms seemed to crystallize more after those movies had already been made. 

Get Out really brought those criticisms to the fore when Samuel L. Jackson did an interview in which he complained about the matter, so now it seems to be at the forefront of casting ever since.  No one seems to recall the instances when American actors play African (Will Smith, Concussion) or Caribbean (the Jamaican characters in Luke Cage) characters and do a horrendous job of it.  South Africans were pretty pleased when Idris Elba portrayed Nelson Mandela (even though the two men don't look alike).  South Africans were also pretty over the moon when Black Panther came out (with Chadwick Boseman playing a Southern African character T'Challa). 

It's a pretty complex issue having to do with representation and the still paucity of roles for Black actors.  Also, coming from the theater world, I never hear these types of complaints unless someone is doing straight up blackface or if the actor sounds really bad (accent is piss-poor, e.g.).

• Members

T'Challa is not South African. He's Wakandan (forever) though the characters in the movie did speak the South African language Xhosa.

The movie, in parts, looks almost like an SNL parody of the Harriet Tubman story. I think her life is too big for one movie but I'm just glad it's finally being told at this point.

• Members

I did say Southern African, which also includes Botswana and parts of Zimbabwe, not just South Africa but yeah, I know Wakanda is fiction although Xhosa is a real regional language. 

There certainly ought to be more than one movie about Tubman.  Why it's taken this long is an embarrassment in and of itself.