ALL: Soap Stars - Where are they now?

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I know there are other soap stars that will appear on episodes...Actually, I just found an article that lists 50 from daytime and primetime, although some aren't known mainly from their soap gigs:

http://www.inquisitr.com/4332960/50-soap-stars-on-battle-of-the-network-stars-whos-repping-daytime-nighttime-drama/

I watched the first one and, while it is a pale retake of the original and has some people calling it Battle of the Has-Beens, it's a bit of silly summer fun. The teams are smaller, there's no live crowd, most of the stars on the first episode are not currently on tv series and some are not in that good of shape. 

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by applcin

• Members

How about a Speedo?  

Is it true that the Battle of the Network Stars specials of the late 1970s and early 1980s discriminated against daytime soap stars?  At least the 1985-86 syndicated series Star Games featured daytime soap stars.

• Members

I wouldn't necessarily call it discriminating, but no, I don't believe any soap stars appeared on the specials, which is surprising considering they were produced when soaps were at the highest level of mainstream popularity. If anything, there could have been a one-off daytime special featuring just soap stars.

• Members

I think people were expecting more stars from current shows, like the old one had. But, honestly, it was the past tv stars I recognized on the first one, not the guy from The Middle or the young woman. To look at those first teams (sitcoms vs tv kids), it did seem heavily favored towards the younger team but they actually went back and forth with the lead. I do wish the teams had a few more people on them. When an event is for 2 males or 2 females, it's slim pickins when you've got only 2 or 3 to choose from. Pitting almost-60 and overweight Bronson Pinchot against Corbin Bleu in the obstacle course was absurd....but the other options were Tom Arnold (who seemed like he was on something) and Dave Coulier. 

Some folks complained about the lack of the live crowd but I wonder if maybe they just didn't want people recording the events and spoiling them online. Didn't have that concern 35 years ago.

Maybe it'll be a surprise summer hit like all those old game shows ABC revived. I'll keep watching. It's entertaining enough. 

But coming up later on...Lou Ferrigno is still built like a tank and I don't think the other team has a chance in the tug of war.  

Edited by applcin

• Members

Not to be mean, but I'm old enough to at least remember the original Battle of the Network Stars, and I seem to recall, even with my then 8-or-so-year-old filter, that most, if not all, of the celebrities who competed were in current network shows.

So I wonder why it was changed to now-seemingly "old timers"?

• Members

The original specials definitely used only people who were currently on TV, but I honestly doubt that's an option these days. Your biggest TV shows/stars are no longer on ABC, CBS, or NBC, and so many of them would probably never sign on to do something like this. Plus, the TV landscape is just so big. Look at the cast list for the first BOTNS, and you have Farrah Fawcett, Penny Marshall, Robert Conrad - people who were HUGE at the time. Even if you didn't watch their shows, you knew who they were. We don't have that anymore.

Edited by All My Shadows

• Members

http://deadline.com/2017/06/sneaky-pete-jennifer-ferrin-miriam-morales-recur-season-2-1202123032/

Damn about Jennifer Ferrin from ATWT. She has a brand new series regular for a new fox show, will recur in this amazon show, will apear in the NBC drama Rise and then shes in a minseries for Stephen Soderberg on HBO. Girl is busy i thought she was mega talented and reminded me of those movie stars from the 1940s. 

Edited by JONNYSBRO