ALL: Soap Stars - Where are they now?

• Members

Apparently the show had to cut his hair for the scene and now the clippings are being sold for charity and can be yours for just $750 (there are also signed guitars for $1500, probably a much better deal):

http://stylenews.peoplestylewatch.com/2015/06/29/rick-springfield-cuts-hair-for-true-dectective-puts-locks-on-sale

The article has a pic of him in the show's makeup chair and it's pretty obvious that after the pic was taken, they trowled on the orange fake tan makeup that makes him look so odd in the scene.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Do you think it's just a weird mix of surgery and aging? He doesn't necessarily look unhealthy -- just really, really manipulated.

Meanwhile, here's a Mary Hartman Q&A session with Greg Mullavey and Louise Lasser from March. Greg's voice has not changed one BIT since the 70s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3NDhmSOgZA

• Members

I think it has a lot to do with his hairline and hair color, we're used to the contrast of the dark gray. I went to their website and there's video of the reunion if anyone's interested.

I didn't know that Louise Lasser was using a wheelchair IRL. She was in one when she guest-starred on Girls and I assumed it was just s/l dictated.

• Members

I love seeing TV reunions. Thank you for sharing that info.

I found another former cast member of The Doctors - but he is not yet in the reruns we are seeing, but comes on in 1970 so we should be seeing him sooner rather than later. The character of Rico Bellini followed in his uncle Nick's footsteps and became a doctor, and the first actor to play him, Richard Niles, also goes by "Doctor" now. Actually, he is a Ph.D. - a theatre professor at Marymount Manhattan College, where he has been since 1990. I wanted to know if the professor and the actor were one in the same, so I emailed him and asked. Within minutes I had a reply:

"Yes, I am that actor! I have been dying to get tapes or DVDs of the episodes I was in. Can you give me the contact info of the station running The Doctors?"

I was able to send him the contact email addresses for both SFM (who owns the rights to TD) and Luken (who owns Retro TV). If they are serious about getting the show on DVD, I'm sure they would love to hear from someone who was actually in the cast. Here's what he looks like today:

http://www.mmm.edu/live/profiles/45-richard-niles

• Members

Small world, I knew Richard once upon a time, never knew that about him! I went to MMC for a year before transferring and worked in the theatre office/auditions (along with Andrew Rannells). Another former soap star who worked in the office before I got there was Irving Allen Lee (EON, RH). Richard probably knew him. I heard some really touching things about IAA, very sad that his life was cut short.

• Members

I am going to guess he or was very ill. The shape of his face and body changed, and there are people older than he is who maintain a resemblance to themself. If you said chemo wrecked his body I'd believe it. The reunion is on their site, and his voice isn't strong either. None of them are looking too good. Robert Guillame is 87 according to wikipedia and he is in decent shape, older than Mandan. Katherine Helmond I guess it is refreshing she didn't stay glammed up in retirement. It's so long ago but Guillame was a major major TV star 40 years ago. After Benson he didn't seem to click in anything else. None of them did except for Billy Crystal, and then a few went on to sitcom success. The woman who played Mary Campbell I don't know that I ever saw her again, same for Eunice, Corinne, and the Tate son. Dutch went on to a long time recurring role on Battlestar Galactica in the 2000s.

• Members

Of course Katherine Helmond maintained steady gigs on Who's the Boss? and Coach for several years after Soap, making the occasional film/TV movie. She's great as Goldie Hawn's mother in Overboard. Catherine Damon joined the cast of Webster in its final two seasons and passed away a year later.

Robert Mandan, Donnelly Rhodes, Inga Swenson, Dinah Manoff and others I'm forgetting off the top of my head would show up later on Susan Harris' other series.

Edited by SFK

• Members

Not much to tell, he was a nice guy, a year or two ahead of me, we weren't buds or anything. But I'll never forget the sound of his voice introducing himself to the auditionees: "Hello, my name's ANNdrew RANNells and I'm from OH-maha Nuhh-BRASS-kuh..." That's exactly what I heard in my head when I flipped to the Tony's one year and stared at this familiar face singing, wondering where I knew him from.