One Life To Live- FINALE- Friday 1/13/2012

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to watch live today, so I hope you all have a good time bidding adieu to OLTL.

I've had such a love-hate relationship with this show over the last few years, and even at this very moment, I can't help to roll my eyes at the thought of some of its recent actions, but at the same time, it's a soap I once loved, and it's a soap that's been through it all for a very long time, and...really...it's a soap. That's enough for me to be sad. OLTL's impact has been great, and the enjoyment its brought to so many people over the years can never be taken away. Perhaps it was for the best that this little show could never stay with one identity -- that way, it was able to touch a wider audience of people. I hope the finale is a satisfying conclusion to its entire amazing run, and even though my love for Llanview has not been much lately, I promise I'll watch as soon as I possibly can, and who knows, maybe I'll shed a few tears sad.png

Join your sister in television history, One Life to Live.

• Members

I agree with you about relatable characters. Nora was such a believable and natural, relateable character for a long time; I think that was one of Gottlieb's most underrated qualities as a producer - in her first year or two, she brought in a lot of characters who just seemed normal, not "dull," but someone you could see yourself having a meal with, even if they were involved in craziness. I also think this has been Viki's most appealing trait - no matter how insane her life has been, no matter how much "Queen Victoria" can emerge with icewater in her veins, there's still something very down-to-earth about her.

I'm so sad to see the show go, but I haven't had the emotional reaction others are having. Part of that may be down to me not growing up with the show, but I think it's also that I'm really missing those characters who can just get you straight in the heart. OLTL is probably, at its best, the most intelligent soap on the air, but they are also the soap which has the strongest emotional purity, the moments that suddenly draw you in and you don't know where you are, you're just living that character. Karen on the witness stand, Viki in Heaven, Megan dying, all the traumas of Dorian and Viki, Clint's heartbreak when he walked in on Viki and Sloan, Gabrielle losing Max, Tina losing Cord, Brody's pain over losing his children.

They have had so many complex characters over the years, but many of these characters have never been sneering, swaggering constructs, where you are supposed to marvel over their latest one-liner or eyebrow raise and then go follow them on Twitter. It's about the characters, not the actors. As much as you may respect the actor, you never forget who they are playing. I've felt this way with so many - Jenny, Tina, Marco, Andrew, Megan, Viki, Dorian, Herb, Brody.

I'm sorry to see it go, mostly because the show had so much potential to be so many different things. Seeing that potential snuffed out is a great example of just how bankrupt daytime has become.

The first time I watched OLTL was a wedding videotape, and I was so fascinated, as there were so many different characters and wildly different tones. You had high drama, ridiculous camp, pure romance and love. That schizophrenia truly did represent OLTL. And I remember the host, this woman who kept gushing and I thought she was a little fake. Only when I started watching a few years later, and saw her work in the DID story, did I realize that woman was one of the best actresses ever on soap opera. I'm so glad she was able to be with us to the very end.

I will also miss OLTL's sense of community, and the idea that you don't have to be a blood relative to share a bond.

I'll miss so many of the ideas of OLTL.

• Members

I love the '80s opening sequences, if only because there is always that moment about 5 or 10 people in where it always goes south for me. I think I'm recognizing everyone just fine, like, 'yeah, this is working out,' and then the beat really gets going with Peabo saying "I'll give you tomorrow..." and they start speeding up the faces in the opening and it's like 20 random white people at a time, all Paul Rauch hires and I have absolutely no idea who 90% of them are. And then I'm lost.

Every time I watch any opening from this period, this happens.

Archived