GL on DVD!

MissLlanviewPA

• Members

This was just posted on SOC's Facebook page:

JUST IN: Soap Classics to release a 20-episode collection of classic Guiding Light episodes on DVD in mid-January.

smile.png

I don't think any other site has it listed yet, though.

ETA: WOW, I didn't realize how late I was! laugh.png Here's another article:

http://www.welovesoaps.net/2011/12/gldvd.html

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

GUIDING LIGHT

20 CLASSIC EPISODES

ON DVD IN MID-JANUARY 2012

New York, NY; December 28, 2011 - Soap Classics President Mark Yates today confirmed that the company will release its first set of Guiding Light classic episodes in mid-January of 2012. The set will be similar to the company's blockbuster release of As the World Turn episodes. It will contain 20 handpicked episodes, divided into four categories: Great Weddings, Secrets and Scandals, Villains and Vixens, and Springfield Through the Years.

Included in the set will be such all-time favorites as "Quint and Nola's Wedding" and "Roger Thorpe's Demise". The set will include appearances by such stars as Reva Shane, Clarita Bauer, Don Stewart and many others.

Stay tuned for additional news about the collection and its contents, coming soon.

• Members

I hope that a future GL DVD release would feature several of the Bauer Barbecue episodes throughout the years... For me, I dont really recall their Thanksgiving/Christmas episodes, but I always remember the 4th of July episodes.. it was an annual tradition for me to watch GL on the 4th of July.. Just an idea.

• Members

Yikes. I never saw that. Normally I review those things.

Just know I know who Charita Bauer is and she gets her due on these episodes. :)

Soaplovers, I tend to remember the Christmas episodes more because of Nick's appearances and some magic of Christmas thing that happened or great advice he gave. Those tended to be more self-contained or understandable out of context and the Bauer barbecues spread out over multiple days. Great idea for a theme though.

Sometimes episodes had great moments but the episode as a whole had some clunker material in it. I wish we could edit that type of thing into stories, but I think it will be full episodes for the foreseeable future as that is the cheapest and fastest way to get material to the fans, and a single episode is very specific in terms of who gets paid, versus editing several together crossing multiple writers, directors, etc.

• Members

With the BBQ, I think a lot of them are spaced over numerous episodes (in later years this was less of a case except for 2009, and after Maureen died there was less focus on the holiday for much of the 90s..) Usually I equate short lived marriages to the BBQ, which is odd. With the Springfield throughout the years, I would be surprised if nothing from the 1987 anniversary was included (which was a BBQ.) There should be something from the 80s from that time frame. When the Christmas ATWT disc came out I was jealous because I wanted a holiday GL one, though I doubt the episodes I'd want to see would be included.

• Members

I can understand the difficulty of doing dvd devotion toward the Bauer Barbecue.... but if you do opt to do any multi-episode focus... I'd totally love to see the Blackout episodes from 1992! Lasted several episodes and there were some self-contained elements with fall-out that lasted for the rest of the run of the show (i.e. Mo's eventual death... blake/ross, etc).

Another standalone episode I'd love to see again is the election dream episode that Ross had circa 1992/1993.

• Members

I still think you could do a 20 episode collection for the BBQ's with some years simply spanning two or three episodes if they need it. Going forward you really don't have to be that rigid in terms of the episode focus. For example, I have a 20 episodes set with the before and after of Bob and Kim's wedding and I'd love a set like that. Just 10-20 consecutive episodes focusing on one story mainly. A set with those episodes would feature the arrival of Julianne Moore as Frannie, the return of Helen Wagner to the show and it had lots of action and a broad focus in terms of characters. That's just one example, but I'm sure there are many like that which could be a successful idea for release.

Archived