October 3-7, 2011

Toups

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks for the insignt into that GL year. It's too bad that the show crashed shortly after. Back then, a good story did matter and viewers were willing to network hop. Now, a doomed show is just doomed. I actually expected Y&R to go up with the death of AMC but no such luck. The Lewises sucked much like the Snyder clan on ATWT.

DOOL has always had the WORST production values in Soapland. Every set is trapped in the 80s. I was recently watching old 2007 episodes of ATWT and realized that the show had the best production values out of any soap before the budget cuts. The new sets and lighting looked great, and I will give Goutman credit for making WORLD look amazing. (Watching those shows actually made me hate Goutman a little less). The quality rivaled Y&R which has always gotten so much praise. I have to wonder why PGP let him spend the money knowing full well that they wanted out of the business?

• Members

Lead in doesn't always matter. ATWT followed Y&R in some markets but still hit lows of 1.8 HH. B&B and Y&R rise and fall at different times. The only time a lead in matters is when you are talking millions of viewers but not a few % points, and this is the case with the CHEW.

Also, with unemployment at probably closer to 20%, food shows are doomed to fail. Many daytime viewers are out of work and can't afford new or expensive products.

• Members

IMO, ATWT looked AWFUL. The lighting made everybody and everything look pastel. It looked like a makeup commercial or something. It was totally unnatural-looking, and every bit as bad as Days' piss-yellow lighting before Ed Scott. The sets weren't bad, though...

• Members

I'm talking about the pre-2008 cuts and the new production model. In the 2007 episodes I was watching, the make up, lighting and sets look every bit as good as Y&R. Goutman always made a point lighting up the windows, too. I especially liked the quality of the original Lakeview set--rich, lush wood with old school touches.

I agree everyone looked like hell after the budget cuts. It was all close up shots to avoid showing sets.

• Members

No American soap can ever claim to rival Y&R's production values. Y&R, which is a shite show now, is still the best looking show in daytime and always has been. You could have given any soap an extra $10 million a year and they still wouldn't have looked as good as Y&R, the original production model was golden and they wisely stuck with it, more or less, from day one. It's the only show that comes even close to the standards set by the UK soaps which are in a whole other league.

• Members

Here is why THe Chew makes no sense again. Granted I guess comparing syndication to a network show is not really comparable but just look at the highest rated shows in syndication. I guess Judge Judy, Dr. Oz, Dr. Phil, and Regis and Kelly are the only shows that air exclusively in daytime. BUt those CBS comedies are monsters and Law and Order still rocks in syndication no matter how dreadful the ratings on NBC are for SVU these days. I still wonder why ABC. NBC CBS doesn't try airing repeats of their primetime shows during the day. They used to do that long long ago.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/10/19/syndicated-tv-ratings-wheel-of-fortune-on-top-dr-oz-top-talk-show/107885/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Tvbythenumbers+%28TVbytheNumbers%29

Archived