Billboard's #1 Pop Singles

Max

• Members

I had honestly never heard of the New Christy Minstrels before I did my write-up on "Eve of Destruction."

Perhaps the reason why "See That Girl" did so poorly was because it sounded like it was a song from the early-70s (as opposed to a 1965 record). Joel Christie and B.J. Thomas had very similar voices.

In sharp contrast to the song that preceded it at the chart summit was the festive "Hang on Sloopy" by The McCoys. This tune spent one week at number one: the week ended 10/2/65.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LmWX0MXAvyM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The McCoys were a group that hailed from Union City, IN, and whose members included Rick Zehringer (vocals, guitar), his brother Randy (drums), Ronnie Brandon (keyboards), and Randy Hobbs (bass). The group named itself after a Ventures album titled "The McCoy," but then changed its name: first to the Rick Z. Combo, and then to Rick & the Raiders.

In 1965, Rick & the Raiders were an opening act for the Strangeloves, whose were on the roster of artists at Bang Records. Executive Bert Russell had previously asked the Strangeloves to find a band that could perform a good cover of "My Girl Sloopy," a #26 hit for the Vibrations (an R&B group) the prior year. After consequently being signed to the Bang label, three changes were made. First, the name of the group again became the McCoys (because Russell was fearful that Rick & the Raiders would cause confusion with Paul Revere & the Raiders). Second, the song's title was changed to "Hang on Sloopy." Finally, Rick came up with a new last name: Derringer (inspired in part by a picture of a derringer on Bang Records' logo).

The McCoys are often mistakenly believed to be a one-hit wonder, but they actually had two more top forty hits following "Hang on Sloopy" (which never seem to be played on the radio). The first of these was "Fever," which reached #7; though versions of the tune performed by Little Willie John (who first recorded the record) and Peggy Lee remain famous, the McCoys' recording of the song is a virtual copycat of "Hang on Sloopy." Another cover--this time of Ritchie Valens' "Come On, Let's Go"--peaked at #22 in 1966. After the McCoys disbanded in 1969, Rick Derringer continued to find success: he had a solo hit of his own (1974's "Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo," which reached #23) and became a member of the Edgar Winter Group. (Before joining the Edgar Winter Group, Derringer produced their sole chart-topping single, 1973's "Frankenstein.")

"Hang on Sloopy"--a great rock and roll record--has long been played before the start of the fourth quarter at all home games for The Ohio State University football team. It is the official rock song of that university, as well as of the entire state of OH.

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Thanks so much for the very kind words, Qfan.

Actually, due to my chronic unemployment, I have been spending more and more time studying for a test (to get certified in an accounting software program) that will hopefully boost my chances for employment. (If that doesn't work, I may have to go back to school, which will result in even more time away from SON.) Because each of these write-ups took a lot of time, I chose to make the unfortunate decision to stop the thread for the time being.

However, I will try to continue with the next post in a couple of days.

Thanks a lot, Alphanguy. I'll let everyone know when I can know longer continue. Unfortunately, I think that I just won't have the time anymore in the very near future. I am so sorry to disappoint this thread's loyal readers, but I've just got to spend a lot of time studying.

• Members

The Beatles' tenth #1 hit--"Yesterday"--is considered one of their most important. "Yesterday" spent four weeks atop the Hot 100: the weeks ended 10/9/65, 10/16/65, 10/23/65, & 10/30/65.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CRNn5nR2Yco" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"Yesterday" was the first Beatles' tune that essentially was just a solo recording. Sung and written by Paul McCartney, its working title was actually "Scrambled Eggs," as he couldn't figure out suitable lyrics for quite some time. Sir Paul was terrified that he unconsciously plagiarized the tune, but was reassured by Lennon and others that this was not the case.

McCartney was able to perfect the song while the Fab Four were filming "Help!," and--on 6/14/65--"Yesterday" was recorded at London's Abbey Road Studios. At the suggestion of George Martin, a string quartet was added during the recording session. Though never a tune that I cared for (as I find it too depressing), "Yesterday" was a phenomenal success that has stood the test of time, as some 2,500-plus cover versions of the song have been recorded (a world record). (As a puzzling side note, "Yesterday" was not released as a Beatles single in Britain until 1976, where it only reached #8.)

Shortly after "Yesterday" fell from #1, the Beatles released their highly acclaimed "Rubber Soul" album (in December 1965). The album marked an almost permanent shift towards heavier, more adult material for the band. Though none of the songs on the album reached #1 (in fact, some were never released as singles), notable tunes included "Norwegian Wood," "Nowhere Man," "Drive My Car," and "Michelle."

• Members

Mark Lindsay's voice sounds somewhat like Paul McCartney's.

I think that the faster tempo of the "Yesterday" cover (in the second song) works very well. In what language was that sung?

I meant to state this earlier, but it was misleading to bill "Yesterday" as a Beatles song, since John, George, and Ringo didn't even contribute instrumentation to the tune.

"Yesterday" was succeeded at the chart summit by "Get Off of My Cloud" by The Rolling Stones, which spent two weeks at number one: the weeks ended 11/6/65 & 11/13/65.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZkfwfM1tMNw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

After the huge success of "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction," the Rolling Stones soon released "Get Off of My Cloud" as a follow-up. According to Wikipedia, "the song is noted for its drum intro by Charlie Watts and twin guitars by Brian Jones and Keith Richards. The lyrics are defiant and rebellious, which was common practice for the Rolling Stones around that time; they were beginning to cultivate their infamous 'bad boy' image. The Stones have said that the song is written as a reaction to their sudden popularity after the success of 'Satisfaction.' The song deals with their aversion to people's expectations of them."

Right before "Get Off of My Cloud" was released, the Stones successfully negotiated a new contract that awarded them the highest royalty rate that any artist enjoyed to date. Of course, "Get Off of My Cloud" was also #1 when DOOL debuted; I find this to be an amusing coincidence, since I think that the band appeared on that soap during its 40th anniversary celebrations in 2005.

I stated earlier that I am not a big Rolling Stones fan, but "Get Off of My Cloud" and "Start Me Up" (#2 in 1981) are probably my favorite songs of theirs.

• Members

Max, the language in that song is Finnish.. not the prettiest language, but it comes from the prettiest singer! :) I think "Get Off My Cloud" benefits greatly from the memorable hook. It totally makes the song, even though I've never felt Mick Jagger could carry a tune in a bucket... I do see his appeal.

• Members

The Supremes displaced the Rolling Stones at #1 with "I Hear a Symphony," which held the peak position for two weeks: the weeks ended 11/20/65 & 11/27/65.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zcylDkRw7dg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

After scoring a (then) record-breaking five chart-toppers in a row, the Supremes issued "Nothing But Heartaches." While Berry Gordy honestly believed that the song would reach number one, the tune (which, IMO, was far inferior to their prior efforts) stalled at #11.

Because of the (relative) failure of "Nothing But Heartaches," it was back to the drawing board for the Holland/Dozier/Holland songwriting team. They tried something new for the trio, and the result was "I Hear a Symphony," which was a more pop-oriented record.

The Supremes would not see the number one position again until September 1966. Their two releases in the interim both made the top ten: "My World Is Empty Without You" (#5 in February 1966) and "Love Is Like an Itching in My Heart" (#9 in May 1966). (I was always perplexed why "My World Is Empty Without You" didn't go higher than #5, as I think that was one of the group's best recordings.)

Archived