Billboard's #1 Pop Singles

Max

• Members

"Downtown" also won a grammy that year... can't remember which one, whether it was female vocal performance, song of the year, or what. and that song deserves every wonderful thing that comes it's way. It's a song that I find EVERYBODY likes. I also feel it's the best song of 1965, without question. Petula Clark had a ton of great songs, and Tony Hatch is a nice, big, bombastic producer, just like I like them! One song she recorded in 1967 that was never released as a single was this.. I always felt it should have been a single:

http://www.esnips.com/displayimage.php?album=1211847&pid=9546231

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Love Petula Clark. She was a star from childhood in the UK ("Our Pet") but I think she epitomized the playful side of 60's Britpop better than just about anyone could. "Downtown" is an amazing song (It always reminds me of "Sisters", when Swoozie Kurtz and Patricia Kalember walked down the street, and remembered walking down that same street as girls, singing "Downtown"). I think my favorite Petula song is "Don't Sleep in the Subway."

Petula was close to film stardom in the late 60's, but the musicals were just about dead by that time. Of course she also had the controversial hand-holding TV special with Harry Belafonte.

• Members

I'm not sure, but I think even in the meetings for the show, they had to fight for this, as the executives were wary.

The sad thing is things are so backwards now I could see it still getting protests...

I never realized how much she looks like Patty Weaver.

In many ways most of the popular British female singers over here in recent years seem to go back to that 60's look - Adele, Duffy, Amy Winehouse. Even the Spice Girls, as hip as "girl power" was supposed to be, had sleek Geri, and had the mood of the Carnaby Street.

• Members

Carl... Pet said that her grabbing his arm was just a spontaneous thing on her part..... and people in the UK don't have all that tremendous racial baggage. There were several instance of this kind of thing, but it's also a double standard... it was always a white woman and a black man. People didn't get upset when Diana Ross kissed Ed Sullivan on the cheek, but Nancy Sinatra got loads of hate mail when she kissed Sammy on the cheeck in her 1967 special. And at the 1971 CMA awards, Loretta Lynn was told not to hug Charley Pride (but she could shake his hand), because he was going to win a big award that night, and she was sitting right next to him. As usual, nobody tells Loretta what to do, so when his win was announced, she jumped up and gave him a great big kiss. I think what you might have read about Carl, was a vice president at Chrysler that was wary about it after the show had already been taped, and then quite a few affiliates refused to air it. This article pretty much lays it all out.

http://www.pophistorydig.com/?tag=harry-belafonte-petula-clark

• Members

Thanks. That's an exhaustive rundown. I appreciate getting to read it. I'm glad to hear the executive who objected was relieved of his duties (I guess today that would be called "PC gone mad").

Loretta Lynn was one of a kind. I never knew that story about Charley Pride. She was fearless and I think that's why audiences connected to her. There isn't anyone like that in country music now.

Some Petula favorites (I think you posted some of these before)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhjJPf-sc_Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z56qVA4LjOo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-PtfRHwBuE

• Members

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I had forgotten about the Clark/Belafonte incident. In modern discussions on history and race relations, it is not mentioned nearly as often as the inter-racial kiss on "Star Trek" (between William Shatner and Nichelle Nichols), which aired some seven months later (in November 1968).

It is believed that the most played song in radio history is "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" by The Righteous Brothers, which spent two weeks atop the Hot 100: the weeks ended 2/6/65 & 2/13/65.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4uZVwSlq8Qs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bill Medley (born 9/19/40) and Bobby Hatfield (born 8/10/40) were two musicians from Orange County, CA. The two men started out in separate groups: Medley was a member of the Paramours, while Hatfield belonged to the Variations. Thanks (in part) to coaxing from a mutual friend, Bobby left his group and a new incarnation of the Paramours was born. At one of the performances the Paramours gave, a crowd member exclaimed, "That was righteous, brothers!"; when Medley and Hatfield decided to form a duo, they felt such a moniker was perfect to adopt.

The Righteous Brothers' first record was "Little Latin Lupe Lu," a moderate hit that reached #49 in 1963. Although a few more modest showings followed, the duo got a huge break when they appeared at a San Francisco club with several other acts: in the audience was Phil Spector, who was so impressed that he decided to sign Bill and Bobby to his Philles label. Spector requested the legendary songwriting team of Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil to write a new song for the Righteous Brothers. As explained by Wikipedia, several things set "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" apart:

Perhaps because of its uniqueness, there were some doubts (by those involved with the production) as to whether it would be a hit. After all these doubts were erased, the Righteous Brothers' career really took off, as the duo would return to the chart apex in April 1966 and--in the interim--would score three top ten hits:

"Just Once in My Life" (#9, 1965)

"Unchained Melody" (#4, 1965)

"Ebb Tide" (#5, 1966)

Given that "Uncahined Melody" is arguably an even more iconic record than "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin,'" one is immediately shocked upon learning that it failed to reach #1. The song dates back to 1955, when it served as the theme for a movie titled "Unchained." That year, the tune became a smash hit for Les Baxter (peaking at #2), Al Hibbler (#5), and Roy Hamilton (#9). Though not covered as much as "Unchained Melody," "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" found success again with Dionne Warwick (#16 in 1969) and Daryl Hall & John Oates (#12 in 1980).

• Members

Thanks for all the background on the song and the way they got their name. I never knew how they got their name. And of course for years people thought they were brothers.

Bill Medley had a part in a Cheers episode about how much Kirstie Alley loved their music. I never can remember if she loved this song or Unchained Melody.

You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin is OK, but I always preferred Just Once in My Life. Bobby Hatfield's part in this is achingly beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MY1aBowaVo

• Members

My favorite of their big hits is "Ebb Tide", and "Soul And Inspiration". Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil spoke about writing this song on a documentary I have.. they said they never thought it would be a classic or become a standard like it has, Cynthia said she couldn't fathom ANY song that contained the lyrics "Wo Wo Wo" would have signifigant historical importance. The righteous brother broke up in late 1968, and until they got back together in 1972, Bill Medley recorded solo, and Hatfield continued the Righteous Brothers and drafted Jimmie Walker from the Knickerbockers to take Medley's place. Here is a performance from 1969 of Walker/Hatfield:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoNpOr4grlE

They officially reunited on the Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour in the fall of 1972, and then signed to Haven records and worked with producers Lambert and Potter to record the #3 hit "Rock And Roll Heaven" in 1974. One of it's follow ups, "Dream On " was not a huge hit ( #32), but is still one of my favorites:

That video is a bit eery , cause in it, Hatfield looks like he could be my twin! LOL

• Members

I have to say that my favorite version of "You've Lost That Lovin Feeling" was done by Dionne in 1969, it was released as a single, and went to an astounding #16 on the charts, a song that is NEVER heard on radio EVER.. and a top 20 hit...

I'm sure that Mann and Weil have made a freaking FORTUNE on the publishing of this song... since it's been covered so many times, and been a hit more than three times. Cilla Black also took the song to #2 in the UK. I don't think it suits her, personally... but LOVE the gown!

• Members

I've never before heard of Cilla Black. It is sad that an enjoyable song like "You're My World" did so poorly in the United States.

"You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" has never been a particular favorite of mine, either. However, I think it is an acquired taste, and the song has somewhat grown on me over time.

He really does look a lot a like you in that video, Alphanguy!

I've never heard Warwick's version played on radio, either.

One of my favorite records from 1965 is "This Diamond Ring" by Gary Lewis & the Playboys, which held the peak position for two weeks: the weeks ended 2/20/65 & 2/27/65.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/odTo8loQXxY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Apart from being one of the comedic greats, Joseph Levitch--much better known as Jerry Lewis--also attempted a recording career. In contrast to his one-time partner (Dean Martin), Jerry only had one hit: "Rock-a-Bye Your Baby With a Dixie Melody," which peaked at #10 in 1956. However, his son Gary (born on 7/31/46) fared much better in the music industry. He and some friends--David Costell, Al Ramsey, David Walker, and John West--formed a band called the Playboys and were hired by Disneyland in 1964. (The folks at Disneyland were actually unaware who Gary's famous father was.)

Producer Snuff Garrett got word about Disneyland's new band. Though he felt that Gary and the rest of the group members weren't particularly talented, he took an interest in the Playboys because he realized that he could play up Gary's famous pedigree as a way to generate sales. The first single Garrett produced for Lewis was "This Diamond Ring." Interestingly, as a result of Garrett's desire to make the record sound as professional as possible, experienced session musicians replaced the other Playboys on the recording itself.

"This Diamond Ring" was the first of seven top ten hits for the group. The others are listed below:

"Count Me In" (#2, 1965)

"Save Your Heart for Me" (#2, 1965)

"Everybody Loves a Clown" (#4, 1965)

"She's Just My Style" (#3, 1966)

"Sure Gonna Miss Her" (#9, 1966)

"Green Grass" (#8, 1966)

Two factors put an end to the Playbody's short but impressive string of successes: changing musical tastes and the fact that Gary was drafted into the Army in late 1966. Upon being discharged in 1968, Lewis scored his last top 40 hit, a cover of Brian Hyland's "Sealed With a Kiss" (#19). (During the interim, a few additional tunes--recorded prior to late 1966 but released during Lewis' Army stint--also made the top 40.)

• Members

I think he had a lot of problems after leaving the Army.

Never knew about the Disneyland stuff.

I'm not a huge fan of This Diamond Ring, and Save Your Heart for Me is turgid, but I love some of their songs. Everybody Loves a Clown and especially Sure Gonna Miss Her - I think that song is perfect, especially the background accompaniment. Unfortunately it sounds very tinny on Youtube. I thought he looked very handsome around this time - the long-hair look which became mandatory in the late 60's suited few (although the worst for long hair is Tommy James, of the interminable Shondells, who looks like a psycho in some of his photos of that era).

Cilla Black remains well known in the UK, more for her TV work - she hosted longrunning dating shows and family reunion shows, like Surprise Surprise, and Promises Promises. She is also known as being a bit of a diva, and for only emphasizing her ties to Liverpool and the Beatles when it suits her.

• Members

Max, it's uinderstanable that youv'e never herard of Cilla, as she has been completely under the radar in the US.. although Elvis was a HUGE fan of hers. She has the distinction of having what I consider one of the most underrated songs on the 60's... no charting in the US, and only #39 in the UK, the best thing she ever recorded, IMO...

Archived