The Chew: Discussion Thread

Llantano Incorporated

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can only speak for myself, but I criticized the food program before it even aired (and before I've even seen a second of it) based on the promos and previews I've seen. IDK what the structure of the show is or anything like that, but based solely on what they've given us in commercials, I don't think it's gonna get a bigger audience than AMC. I'm aware that it doesn't have to get a bigger audience than AMC.

100% subjective. I loved Barney.

• Members

Ha. When I saw Barney I started singing this.

I love you,

screw The Chew

I'd rather watch a show host by a panel of Jews

with a knick knack paddy whack give a dog a bone

Brian Frons is all alone.

Disclaimer, I love Jewish people. So, I didn't mean for that to be offensive, I would rather watch a show hosted by Jewish people. It would be 100% better than The Chew.

• Members

Eric, please forgive me for rudely nitpicking, but only three of the shows--Barney and Friends, Teletubbies, and Yo Gabba Gabba!--were aimed at small children. Baby Bob was a short-lived sitcom that was targeted to families (and was about a baby who could talk; however the "talking" was done in a way that used terrible special effects), and Saved by the Bell: The New Class was targeted to teenagers. (However, one can certainly make a valid argument that Passions was targeted to teens as well.)

Although I understand your criticism as to the fact that I listed some children's television programming, I don't feel that I made an invalid comparison, given that many TV shows in that genre--such as Captain Kangeroo, Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, and Sesame Street (for its first 20 years)--have the reputation for being excellent television programs. On this matter, we will just have to agree to disagree.

In my opinion, here's what was bad and good about the first episode.

The Bad:

*An audience that was too hyperactive

*Carla Hall getting too little airtime

*One of the recipies (the protein shake) was too simplistic for a cooking show

*Mario Batali didn't seem to care about being there

*The audio hookup between Batali and the rest of The Chew Crew was badly flawed

The Good:

*All of the hosts (aside from Batali, and Hall to a lesser extent) were very charismatic, especially the stunning Daphene Oz

*The surprise visit of Dr. Oz on the set

*The impressively elaborate set

*The fact that there was a "front row" section where audience members could be selected to try the dishes prepared by the hosts

*The variety of dishes prepared and topics (including news items) discussed

• Members

Exactly, Marceline. If one visits The Chew's facebook page, you will get a picture that is the complete opposite of what is going on here (and all other soap sites): there is virtually nothing but endless praise for this show, and few (if any) flaws are mentioned.

To switch the subject just a little, it is absolutely sickening that TV guide--in panning The Chew after just one episode--referred to the show as "ABC's All My Children-killing chat 'n chew." Everybody damn well knows that AMC's demise was going to happen regardless of whether or not The Chew even existed (ABC just would have replaced AMC with another program), so TV Guide is just outright lying here. Furthermore, I'm willing to bet just about anything that the magazine never published the following phrases:

"The Another World killing Passions"

"The Guiding Light killing Let's Make a Deal"

"The As the World Turns killing The Talk"

Of course, feel free to trash me as a disgruntled and bitter P&G soap fan for making the above comparisons, but there is no excuse for TV Guide to lack such objectivity. Here again is their review:

http://www.tvguide.c...ss=breakingnews

• Members

I'm sorry if I gave you the impression that The Chew has no flaws, because that is certainly not the case. My point was that those praising the show to the hilltops (on Facebook) are just as wrong and one-sided as those trashing it on the soap boards.

• Members

Honestly I think Dr. Oz's daughter is badly out of place and also goes against the supposed purpose of the show.

The problem with the spin for these shows is that it always comes down to "Cheap! Cheap! Cheap!" so the early spin about how it has .3 demo better than a soap that ABC gave a boot to the butt is just awkward and transparent.

Mario Batali's no-show tells me all I need to know about the future of this show. No one would behave that way if they thought their show was going to be any sort of success.

Archived