'Y&R' Actress Renews Contract

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thank god Melody is back at Y&R where she belongs. IMO Melody and Nikki are ICONIC to Y&R. Melody IMO is similar to being the MADONNA or GAGA of Y&R. Shes the ultimate DIVA and ICON and the way she was treated was horrid. Y&R needs to get back to basics instead of hiring all these old soap vets ala Francis or Eden Riegal in miscast or bad roles. If you want to hire a popular soap vet from another show fine but make sure they fit the role and aren't taking away from the actual vets/focus of Y&R.

• Members

Yeah, it has been up in the air all this time. People think she won't come back from her Lifetime movie thing.

As for Nikki returning, it is good for the show I guess, but this sounds like last minute re-singing in order to get back the viewers they lost. Sadly nothing will matter.

• Members

That's an interesting theory. I think it's entirely possible, too. Y&R might have story planned for her when she returns, but the way story moves in soaps, the emphasis could shift completely by the time she's back. Then, either they let her go or cut her loose after the next cycle of her contract passes.

• Members

I am thrilled MTS is back and that she didn't back down but part of me thinks this is just another "tactic" on TPTB over at Y&R and Sony to "quiet" down fans who have really been complaining about the writing on this show for ages which is the real issue. I think Nikki belongs on Y&R but I also don't think anyone at Sony or MAB band of clueless wonders intends on fixing anything.

Its a cosmetic fix in a way to diminish the noise as much as hiring people like Genie and Debbie and Tristan created noise. Don't get me wrong Melody is a class act and deserves this but I don't for a second believe its because Sony and MAB suddenly value her. I also think the bitching about the writing and the show in general online played more into this that her fans clamoring to get her back so people would shut up about it for a while. JMO.

• Members

I'm sure they will be happy if sites like DC start loving Y&R again (as they very well may now), but I think the bottom line was ratings. I think they expected ratings to at least stay where they were, with all these prized hires. Instead ratings have dropped, and continued to drop. They have tried one stunt after another to fix this, the latest being Diane's brutal murder, and nothing works.

I doubt they care about MTS or have respect for her, but based on her comments in that interview, she's probably used to it and doesn't care as long as she gets paid and has an OK story.

• Members

I don't know. They may think it would help at least stop the loss. Even if Sony sees her as a nightmare or Sheffer hates older women, Nikki is a vital part of Y&R's makeup. She held the show together after LML was pushed out (when Victoria was in the coma), and she was a big part of that awful David Chow/dead Sabrina story that got the ratings back up.

Archived