Y&R Canceled.......in 2014?

• Members

It's not unheard of for TPTB to turn their eyes while someone makes a drop just in time to rile fans for contract negotiations or some other purpose. If you look around the dial, ABC is getting attention because AMC/OLTL is going online and GH seems more solid than it's been in ages. Days is getting attention for its "reboot". What are the Bell soaps getting by way of outside attention?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For the few of you who are rooting for Y&R's demise, I sure hope you are being sarcastic. No matter how much Y&R "sucks" at the moment, it is still neck and neck with TPIR when it comes to being the most watched show on network daytime television. Any cancellation of Y&R in 2014 would be the final nail in the soap genre's coffin.

It would be extremely hypocritical to act like it's a travesty that OLTL got cancelled (because it is "on fire" in the ratings) while finding it acceptable to cancel the superior rated Y&R. Plus, the height of hypocrisy will have been committed if one used the "we need to save our soaps" mantre when fighting for AMC and OLTL (while having no problems with a Y&R cancellation).

• Members

Y&R has been dead for years. I have stayed with Y&R, as much as I have, for two reasons - Jess Walton and MTS. And you see how much work they're getting at the moment.

None of our comments will get Y&R canceled. And most of the people here have not been crusading for AMC or OLTL.

I want the soap genre to continue on. But a Y&R run by someone like MAB or Hogan Sheffer is like rooting for a corpse to do a tap dance.

• Members

laugh.png

I firmly believe that these are the last years for soaps, by 2020 no daytime soap opera will exist in any form most likely. The writing was on the wall as soon as Guiding Light was cancelled or it could be argued as soon as the newer soaps stopped being able to create long lasting audiences (Port Charles for ABC and Passions for NBC). There are only four soaps left, I can't imagine GH or Days will last much longer being the only daytime soaps on their respective networks as their ratings continue to remain unimpressive (2.0 in households or less). Once the giants from NBC and ABC are done how much longer would it take for Y&R to be let go? What would be the point of holding onto B&B domestically after that point even if it is shown around the globe? I could see B&B continuing on but only internationally until the international markets wash their hands of it.

• Members

I am a Y&R and B&B Lover. I really don't know what I would do without them. It is nice to know when I come home from work, I turn on the tv, play the DVR and watch the shows. My soaps relax me, and let go into a world of make believe. It will be a very sad day for me when my shows are off the air.

• Members

I have very mix feelings about this, Like what people have said so far the show will finally just be out of its misery, but yes at the same time i feel like things will be extremely bad (It actually is already) if it were to be cancelled. Please for goodness sake just fire Maria, Hogan and Scott! and Get Kay Alden back!. If Y&R really is going in 3 years at least let someone write it who will make it watchable till it ends.

Archived