GH: Classic Thread

• Members

I think, but I'm not sure, that the black book wouldn't actually have been used as evidence in court. Rather - as the book had the names and numbers of people involved in the Smith Organization in addition to the location of the gold - once Luke had mailed the decoded portions of the book to Joe Kelly, Joe and Burt Ramsey would have been able to track down witnesses who - provided they agreed to testify voluntarily i.e they couldn't be compelled to testify - would have had enough "attenuation" for their testimony to be admissible.

I also believe that finding the gold bouillon was just a way of signalling to the rest of the organization that Frank Smith had been skimming extra amounts that they had not agreed to, thereby convincing enough witnesses to throw Frank Smith under the bus.

Disclaimer - I pieced the above speculation together from the scant recaps of that time (curlyqgrl) and a quick wiki search of articles such as "Exclusionary rule" and "Fruit of the poisonous tree" so have no idea whether I am truly correct lol

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

From a little searching, apparently the original was the negative title screen, then the solid black background, then there was a first version of the ambulance opening with different music.  That opening was updated with the iconic theme music either in 1976 or in 1978, depending on which source you check (I saw both listed).  Hopefully one of the historians around here can let us know if Donovan or Monty was responsible for the theme that ran until 1993.

• Members

The change definitely happened with the music sometime in 1976, as the 1977 episodes that were found featuring Rick and Leslie used the Urbont theme (there was a bit of the closing credits featuring Barbara Walters plug for the ABC Evening News in one of the episodes, I remember), so I am almost 100% sure the shift to Urbont's theme occurred at the same time that the organ music was retired, which appears to be 1976 or late '75.

• Members

Right? That episode is such a damn treat. Wow. 

I'll never understand the current soaps not having their backlog of classic episodes 'ready to go'. I know a lot is involved but .... sigh. IT'S SUCH A WASTE. SoapNet was SUCH a missed opportunity with AMC/OLTL/GH not getting their full runs re-broadcast.

I guaran-damn-tee you that they would find an audience on Hulu which would justify their 'returns'. Just saying.

But I mean, we have had a 'history' of soaps re-running fairly successfully. Dark Shadows being the most successful, just because of it's cult status. Ryan's Hope and Another World had well received runs on SoapNet. Hello The Doctors!

The audience IS there. It's just a lack of effort and a lack of care. Also of course everything is $$$. So .... I know the answers but I still ask "why"

Edited by KMan101

• Members

Not quite so classic, but still a very memorable moment - Tracy's return in 2003. It won't embed, so here.

I will never forget this, as my exposure to Tracy had been minimal before the 21st century. I started watching in '93 right around the time she left, and I only had very vague memories of her from '96 and on The City as I was in school and could only fake sick so much. Tracy's reputation preceded her, but seeing her in the flesh Jane Elliot was an incredible shock of adrenaline to the show and the cast in a particularly moribund, Fab 4-obsessed period that year. She upended every scene she entered.

IIRC her first return was a brief stint to bring on Scott Clifton's Dillon and de-Q Skye - a vindictive stiletto in the ribs from Guza to JFP's reign, which as an OLTL fan I deeply enjoyed; I hated Skye acting like she belonged there - but JE was so, so good that I thought they'd be insane to keep her gone for very long. And they didn't; she was back on contract within months.

I remember her hysterically dissing each of the Qs in turn. Stuart Damon's reaction to Tracy cutting Alan down to size does not appear to be acting - he looks delighted.

Edited by Vee

• Members

@te. Thank you for finding that episode. I think saynotoursoap once had an episode with Patricia Breslin's Meg up, unhappy in her marriage to Lee, but I'd never seen this one. She seems so happy here, and it's a bit of a heartbreaker contrasting that to the sorrow from Lee and Jessie. 

I know Jessie was long-suffering, but Emily McLaughlin plays her material in such a mature, restrained manner that you can't help caring for Jessie and feeling everything she is feeling. Indeed, this episode is full of people who behave like adults and look like adults, rather than middle-aged overgrown  children. For most of the years I've watched GH, that has not been the case - even by the end of the '70s, that was no longer true.

Whenever I watch episodes from these years I remember what Chris Schemering wrote about how much more effective, experimental, and entertaining GH's organ music was  compared to the other soaps. I would tend to agree.

Edited by DRW50