GH: Classic Thread

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

About the letter- am I remembering correctly that Genie does not do a voice over for it?  Tony says the words in the letter.  I don’t remember where I saw it, but I recall Genie at some point saying she refused to do the voiceover of the letter because it glosses over the rape.

• Members

Thanks @titan1978 & @Franko for sharing your memories about Laura's letter.

It seems as if it was an attempt to rehabilitate Luke.  Yet, for as much credit as Gloria Monty gets as a producer, it would have been impossible for her to coordinate the writing team to create a scenario that changed the minds of the audience who watched the scenes created by directing team on the original night at disco.  The contrast of the music, the lighting, and the youthful quiver of Genie's voice was impactful, even before the invention of YT which allowed viewers to replay it on demand.  It would have been too farfetched for Laura to suddenly admit that she falsely accused Luke of assault, or played any part in incited her assault, after we watched her say "no."

In my opinion this is why Lucky's rejection of Luke when he found about the rape was so much more impactful the Guiding Light's scenes of Holly forgiving Roger for raping her.

Edited by j swift

• Members

Do you mean at what point between the rape and going on the run did they make the decision to put all of their proverbial eggs in Luke's basket?

Because certainly the entire year between the left-handed boy and the ice princess was an attempt to give Luke rooting value.

Edited by j swift

• Members

I thought it was the call to the FBI. Laura calls the FBI but hangs up and Luke retrieves the recording to prove to Laura the mob knows. She is still weary of him but begins to trust him, she has no choice, suddenly they are talking almost like best friends. This happens the next month Feb 1980

ETA: Check out the Feb 22, 1980 ep. This is where the "I'm trying to protect you" stuff starts and Laura begins to see him as a friend. 

Edited by will81