GH: Classic Thread

• Members

Even though I hate the rape part of their story for L&L, I think Kin actually gained a more fun character that always had the ability to generate story due to Marland not getting his way.  Scotty was a blast after his heart was broken.  Plus Laura got to go on all those adventures and I can’t imagine her without that life.

Speaking of sharing lovers, these two were both involved with Scotty and Luke.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Yes, and it made perfect sense for Scotty to go to the dark side considering the way Laura left him. Kin taking off for Texas and Scotty being off the canvas for a year gave viewers a chance to adjust - leading up to his unforgettable return - catching Laura's bouquet!!!!

Edited by amybrickwallace

• Members

At the risk of opening a can of worms, I wonder what other people recollect about the letter that Laura wrote Luke, after their night at the disco, but before they went on run?

As I recall, it may have been an attempt to change history that was rarely referred to again once they returned from the left-handed boy adventure.  Laura wrote a letter saying that she couldn't get Luke off her mind and essentially forgiving him for assaulting her.  Scotty found the letter, (maybe after L&L went on the run?) and determined that Laura must have left of her own free will because she admitted her passion for Luke.  It seemed like an attempt to say that Laura was re-thinking the events at the disco, and even though she did not consent, she was intrigued, if not a little obsessed, with Luke at that point in her marriage.  I think Scotty left Port Charles after showing the letter to Lee.  Which always made me question why Lee and Gail would have attended the L&L wedding?

If anyone could fill in the details of the letter and how it contextualized the rape at the disco, I would be eager to know your thoughts.

• Members

Exactly! And that's not even getting to the stories that Geary and others allegedly went commando for some bedroom scenes back then.

If we really want to open another can of worms, we should also discuss the letter Luke left Laura when he left the show in 2015. I don't think they ever said what was it in it. I suspect that was an easter egg Ron Carlivati left before getting fired, hoping to re-affirm L&L even though Geary had refused to play it.

I could swear the episode where Luke reads (or maybe Laura herself, re-reading what she wrote) that letter is currently on YT - there are a lot of beautiful direct-to-tape from the studio dubs on there right now from '79, '80 and probably later. I think I've seen it myself in the last few months.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Scotty found the letter on Thursday, July 10, 1980. In the July 11 episode, he had it out with Laura, then set out to kill Luke, who was preparing to marry Jennifer Smith.

The impression I got regarding Lee and Gail attending Luke & Laura's wedding was that it was out of gratitude for the whole saving the world thing, followed by social obligation, with personal regards for the happy couple lower down the line.

• Members

That makes sense because I recall when Lee told Laura that Scotty was divorcing her, he was not too pleased with his daughter-in-law's behavior, but, of course, that was before she helped save the world from a polar vortex.  I always assumed Gail went because she wanted to see what Helena Cassadine would wear to the wedding.

• Members

One thing I appreciated reading (Soap Opera Babylon was the name of the book) was how Tony Geary worked the infamous scene, and how aware he was of Genie's youthful age. He choreographed most of the sequence himself so he wouldn't hurt Genie. He sent her flowers. When the scene was finally over, they were both so exhausted and spent from what they had just acted out that they cried in each other's arms.

• Members

@j swift yes it's what Franko says above and also there was the incident where Lee fell off the wagon and burned the divorce papers, which Lee was very apologetic for.

One thing that is also interesting is that Lee and Gail weren't on speaking terms with Rick and Lesley for the best part of a year and at one point Steve and Audrey tried to intervene by luring both couples (well Rick and Lesley weren't actually back together yet) to a dinner party that didn;t go down to well lol.

Edited by Dion

• Members

It is! Here are the scenes

First part from 2:42 - Peter Hansen does some great facial acting here, showing Lee's contempt for the Webbers and Laura.

Second part of the dinner party starts at the beginning of the clip. As an added bonus, Rick and Lesley later have an intimate conversation at Kelly's - with Monica seated at a nearby table!