GH: Classic Thread

• Members

Uh, I hate the Brenda breakdown story!  I think the quieter moments were okay and there is a decent scene at Lily's grave that I think she submitted for the emmy, but the OTT actual breakdown ruined it all for me.   I don't think her getting over the breakdown was handled well either.  How did she get better?  Jax's support?  Having a one sided conversation with Lily's gravestone?  HATED IT.

VM was better in the Stone AIDS/Sonny wire break up stuff and her 2002 return stuff.  There wasn't a chance in hell she would win that emmy in 1998 on the strength of material.  I think every actor she was against had better work that year.   There was a possibility she could have won on popularity alone, but I never thought she was a favorite.

@BetterForgotten Julia Barr was the winner.  The nominees were Julia, Amy Carlson, Amy Ecklund, Vanessa, and Victoria Rowell that year. 

At least she got her Popularity Emmy in 2002 so I am sure Vanessa is fine with that. 

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Yeah, I am pretty sure that's the general consensus.  Robin was very good that year with the Jax divorce and falling off the wagon.  I never was a big RC/Skye fan, but that's why I said VM won for being VM.  I am not sure her material in 2002-2003 stood up to the other nominees, but more of an overall thanks for her popularity.  This was probably Vanessa's best work.  It's a shame RC never got another chance for an Emmy because she really was a good actress.

• Members

To me, RC is very cold as an actress.  Very old Hollywood.  I never really connected with her as Skye.  And while I liked Jax/Skye and thought they had good chemistry, the whole romance felt super rushed so they could be married before Brenda came back.   On the other hand, the Brenda/Jax/Skye stuff really gave RC some of her best material on GH and some of her best scenes are with VM.  The scene where Brenda hands a drunk Skye a drink is one my favorites.  It was a brutal and bitchy take by Vanessa, but Robin was excellent. 

• Members

I always felt it was rushed too. But everything to establish Skye on GH was heavily rushed, by JFP and Megan, and Robin is so arch and old Hollywood, as you said, that it always annoyed me, especially as an OLTL fan who'd seen them supercharge what they did to that show at GH. I've always liked RC regardless, but I never accepted Skye as a Quartermaine calling Edward "Grandfather" within weeks of her arrival, supposedly having instant connections and rivalries with people like Sonny and Ned within days or weeks, and I never will. I was very glad when she was de-Qed by Guza who clearly held all of that in contempt. Ingo and Robin did have chemistry, but I watched their romance in real time and I never bought its evolution.

The Skye character only worked on the show, IMO, during her short-term stints in later years after RC went off-contract. She would come in, mix it up and leave. That I'm fine with and it suits her; there's a proud tradition of that with characters like Tracy, Marco Dane, etc. She should still be doing that tbh. But on contract as an 'honorary Quartermaine' or with Luke - please God, no.

• Members

I never liked the shoe-horning in of Skye, as much as I love Robin Christopher and Skye. I didn't mind her on the show but yeah it was all so rushed and forced.

I did like the idea of Alan having a daughter but it was all wasted on Skye, and then un-done.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

I didn't love her as an insta-Q and it did feel like she was immediately part of the family knowing none of the history.   I did like her relationship with AJ.  I was actually annoyed they de-Qed her, not because I had investment in that, but because they did it to pair her with NED.   Skye was just an odd fit for OLTL and GH and Guza never knew what to do with her.  Skye was everywhere and in the strangest pairings.

Anyhow, the potential of Jax/Skye was there but it moved so fast and everyone knew it stood no chance against a Brenda return.  I may have broke Jax/Skye up before Brenda and given Jax/Brenda other obstacles (non-third party) and saved Skye for post-Brenda Jax. 

I'd be fine with Skye popping in now and then and bringing Lila Rae on canvas now as well.

• Members

It was so good!  Must see tv at the time.  It's not a surprise the ratings reflected that. Almost every story was decent too except for the Lucky/Luke/Summer stuff.  It did begin to drag during the Luis trial, but I do think Guza was going to ramp things back up with Brenda/Sonny/Jason after that if VM didn't leave.