GH: Classic Thread

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Webmaster

THIS! Maybe it'll happen eventually, but they really dropped the ball on a reversal of situations when Sonny returned to see Jason and Carly about to do it. They could have done SO much with the drama the angst, the revisionist history. But they just dropped the ball. Either the writers truly don't know the history of the show and write as they go, or someone controlling things behind the scenes really doesn't like drama. Oddly.

• Members

Same.

To me their (too abrupt) shift to writing Jason as starting to get into the relationship with Carly after initially being shown to be very reluctant was telegraphing him getting there... just in time for Sonny to see them.
And something happened where story was rushed AND the drama was taken out of it. I bet Jarly doing it was specifically vetoed by someone.
But there is no way someone didn't have the parallel in mind; it really looked like they were setting it up.

I don't want to derail this fantastic conversation by ranting about the current events but I agree with amy: the writers knew about the history. The very way in which they showed Carly being gung-ho about wedding Jason as soon as the idea came up despite "not being in love" was very fitting with the way that relationship had been written all the way back to SJB days imo.

Edited by FrenchBug82

• Members

I can never look at this cover without smiling because supposedly the four stars began screaming at each other during the photo shoot. SBu kicked over a chair. The SOD liason freaked out and called his editor. The actors then crowed "APRIL FOOLS!" loud enough for her to hear.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

We had a couple of great flare-ups with Laura as Carly.  Robin telling Nikolas that the baby was his and Jax was not the father was kind of fun.

SJB’s Carly was just this side of dangerous. She had so much anger, neurosis and also when she was paired with Sonny- power.  I think Claudia is more like what her Carly would have been like- more cunning, certainly the wardrobe and style.  TB’s Carly settled into a romantic heroine with and edge, and Laura is playing someone named Carly but she doesn’t often get to play the wounded animal.  SJB’s wounds were the kind that lashed out.

I did think she and SBu and MB had more chemistry back in the day with LW than they do now.  Steve especially had great chem with Sarah and decent with TB.  I never liked Sonny with Sarah’s version of Carly- it was the beginning of overly Sonny centric writing dominating the show for me.  They both were on all the time and tied to everybody, and now they are together literally eating the show alive.

Edited by titan1978

• Members

That's a funny story about the actors.  I never knew that lol.  I can't say I am the biggest fan of Tony's breakdown, but it was an interesting move for the Tony character and good material for BM.  Too bad the character never recovered from it.

SOD is so dramatic with those taglines......."somehow Sonny sees Brenda..." because the show clearly would have MB back for a few weeks to NOT see Brenda.  

And did Deidre really almost not re-sign with Days?   I have a hard time believing it was touch and go but maybe?

• Members

I still remember when Tony took the mic at the Nurses Ball that year. Edward, Emily, Mac among others had just finished "Thank Heaven for Little Girls". Tony yelled, "Thank Heaven for...hypocrites!" He then proceeded to rip almost everyone present until Robin gave him what for. It wasn't one of Tony's finer moments.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

It aged better, but I hated it at the time.  I was like NOOOOO, WHY, ROBIN, WHY?!!!!  She really had the right face for it, but in my youth I had such an aversion to short hair.   It made her look older too.  I did like her in between bob better than her long hair or the pixie cut though.