GH: Classic Thread

• Members

I think SJB had more chemistry with MB as Claudia than Carly despite it being the same actress. If SJB ever came back as Carly I'd want her with Jason.

I think the more interesting period of Sonny & Carly under JFP was 01-05. The panic room, Brenda's return, Kristina's paternity, Sonny's affair with Sam, AJ kidnapping the kids, Faith Roscoe. Faith now seems like a precursor to Ava. 

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I remember absolute fury from both fans online (Usenet) and critics. It was a shock bc so much time had been built up with Jason and Carly.

I had no loyalty to Sonny/Brenda bc I had never liked Brenda much back then, lol. It took me a long time to appreciate her beyond the overexposure. I did find Carly fascinating though, even when I hated her for what she did to Robin, and I thought she was one of the most compelling characters on daytime. SJB's longing for Jason was so visceral, for so long, that I think it shook people hard, even me and I was angry she'd helped drive Robin out of town and away from Jason. But I recovered very quickly with her and Sonny lol. And yes, I believe they were named Best Couple for 2000, which they were. But that was later.

I was very angry that they intended to kill Carly, no matter who it was in the role when Tamara took over. I do think she came into her own with the Guza material; her presumed death, etc. AFAIC anything Sonny/Carly after 2002 is dogshit though - romantically, at least. Drama can still be played with them, like when Carly cheated on Franco with him.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Back in the day, I was actually pleasantly surprised at how Kim McCullough, who had eternal baby voice, could go toe to toe with Sarah Brown. SJB could smother an entire room with her intensity, but KMcC had a quiet dignity that could withstand and diffuse the hurricane coming at her. After the heavy AIDS story and Stone’s death, her rivalry with Carly really solidified Robin as an adult presence.

• Members

I personally had a stronger objection to Jarly because of Robin.  A much stronger objection of Carly in general than Sonny moving on from Brenda because it had been a few years and he did dump Brenda, so it's not like I had high hopes especially with VM being long gone. 

It does seem disappointing that Jarly just ended like that because there was so much build up, but also fitting.  Sonny and Carly was just a solid pairing of two damaged characters who thought they deserved the toxicity of the relationship.

To me even through recasts and very questionable stories, Carly has held up as a stronger character.  Sonny has gotten so awful and progressively worse.  The things that I liked that brought them together the loneliness, the loss, bad childhoods, rejection, being outsiders etc just doesn't exist anymore and that's what drew me to them.  And SJB/MB's chemistry.

It seems ridiculous to kill Carly with TB.  They could have just rested the character for awhile.  And I don't think Sonny needed another dead wife.

• Members

I despised Carly for how she treated Robin, but I still found her fascinating and quasi-rootable at that time bc of her neuroses, pathos and obsession with Jason. It was very real and relatable. That's the best of what soap characters can make you feel, conflicted as a fan. I was not particularly hardcore for Jason and Carly though, bc I'd never liked Jason much either lol.

I think JFP and Megan were determined to put their stamp on the show and make GH like their other terrible works as quickly as possible. That's why they went full force with Jensen Buchanan and Roy, and that's why cutting out the roots with characters like Carly and Emily served their purposes to supplant them. Of course, GH being the flagship of ABC was a bridge too far, and it didn't work. JFP never had that kind of power again.

• Members

The "break up" of Jason and Carly -- then redirection toward Sonny and Carly -- is exactly why I wanted Sonny to walk in on Jason & Carly in the act after the latter's 2021 wedding. It would have been history in reverse and lead to all sorts of complications, especially because 2021 Carly and Jason seemed to be falling in love. Amnesia Sonny with no mob connections, or Jason breaking up CarSon would have been the opening for a Brenda comeback, if written properly.

It's crazy how much 96-00 Sonny, Jason & Carly still affects the plot directly today! Even moreso evident as Nelle was written as a parallel to Carly. I loved when Carly got her just desserts after being falsely accused of pushing Nelle down the stairs, in parallel to what happened with AJ.

Edited by ironlion