GH: Classic Thread

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I don't see any point in recasting Lois now when Olivia is essentially the same character, sadly. Lisa auditioned for the Lois recast in the 2000s and clearly should've gotten the part. I love Lisa Lo Cicero and I like her chemistry with Wally Kurth so I tolerate the whole thing because I like Olivia in doses and with him, but except for a few days early in Carlivati's time pairing them up where Olivia and Ned directly discussed Lois and the similarities in background of the two women, the Lois issue has never been really addressed. That being said, if Olivia left town (or got back with Johnny Zacchara - I liked them together) and LLC came back a month later playing Lois instead, I'm not sure I'd complain. Roger Howarth gets to do it all the time!

Jane is clearly willing to do part-time stints as Tracy so I say keep on bringing her back. She's gold. And you can find a way to make the schedule work for VM.

• Members

Loved Johnny and Olivia!!  Her by far best pairing.    Lol  I would die if LLC just came back as Lois one day 

Why not?

I am sure Vanessa could appear one day a week and it would be fine.  You just put her back with Sonny and let it go from there....  Not that i need her to be with Sonny but that would make the most sense.  I am fine with her with Jax too.  Hell, she could just annoy Jason and I'd be good.

• Members

That Brenda return had its issues- she agreed to come back if they paired her with Sonny again.  Guza tried to use her for his latest prop, which at that time was Dante.  She actively fought against having any kind of reciprocated feelings or past relationship with Dante, which I personally agreed with. Brenda sleeping with Sonny’s kid was just a bad idea, let alone if he had been the father of her child.  Plus they gave her a kid that wasn’t tied to Sonny or Jax.  Just poorly planned and executed.

The infamous cackle- she had been doing that in the last couple years of her original run too.  She just did it too much on her last return.

And she could have Tony Geary’s schedule and it would all work out- I believe Tony worked 6 or 7 months a year, and had the rest of the time off.  They pre-taped sometimes, and other times he just wasn’t focused in story for a month or so.  He even stopped asking for raises and just asked to keep his time off.  If the show is in good shape and balanced this is completely possible and I would love to see her again.

• Members

It's not complicated. Use her to finally topple the mob. Sonny gets pushed out of the business, brought low by some foe, humbled and in doing so reunites with Brenda and chooses her. Maurice becomes a 1-2 day a week player (all he can handle now) as Sonny moves into white-collar intrigue and the scheming elder role Guza (and early on, Carlivati) had begun moving him into in the late 2000s-2010. Brenda and Lucy take the reins of Deception, Sonny's cleaner money backstops some of it while getting up to other skullduggery, and you're good. Brenda (and her now teenaged son) would be the primary star in the couple, not Sonny. When one is off the other picks up the slack. The drama of their blended children and very different worlds writes itself, too.

While we're deep in fantasy camp I'd also indiscriminately rehire Sarah Brown and Sean Kanan as Carly and A.J. to do the Alan/Monica thing going forward, since they are apparently already playing opposite each other again on some webseries on Amazon. I love Laura Wright, but if you give me a choice I would not hesitate. (I would also kill one of Sonny and Carly's many extraneous children - I can't believe they had yet another)

Edited by Vee

• Members

I really love Jason/Brenda.  Just because they both love each other but annoy one another.  I don't really understand why Carly doesn't annoy him because Brenda/Carly are both characters that are cut from the same cloth except one is spoiled and one is oh so brave because she is scrappy but whatever lol.

The Brenda return had a laundry list of issues.  The first being her forever stay in Rome basically talking to day players.  The Dante/Brenda stuff wasn't the WORST idea.  Because it's soapy, but it's not like either would have done anything wrong.  They had no idea the other existed.  It was just like Guza took his new favorite toy and paired it with it's old favorite and was like MAGIC!!  But that wasn't the case.  I am not huge on stars dictating the story.  Although I agree with Vanessa stance, I don't like the idea she was actively working against her job basically lol.

And I am a S&B shipper.  I practically have S&B forever tattooed on my hip, but it should have been more organic.  And I felt her and Jax had more spark than her and Sonny at a lot of points.  I felt a lot of the sexy hotness of S&B was left out.

The cackle obviously existed previously (moreso in her 2002 run), but it wasn't as distracting.  This felt like a Vanessa nervous? weird habit.

That's exactly where it should go.  Sonny doesn't have to be only a 1 or 2 day player but Brenda, even as Sonny's wife, would work fine as that.

Listen I would take SB and SK back in a heartbeat.  Again why not?  RH is on his 3rd character.  Can 2 enormously popular characters get a re-do?  I love LW, but she has long left the station as Carly the scrappy upstart, she is a soccer mom. 

Sonny and Brenda work together because Brenda has always been slightly unattainable to Sonny in his mind.  And Sonny was the only man Brenda truly ever wanted.  It still, after all these years, works on paper and with the actors, I think.

Edited by carolineg

• Members

Sure he does, lol. Maurice is past it. Putting Sonny and Brenda back together would be his active retirement (not hers). Sonny could still get up to business intrigues and schemes but his days as the central frontburner lead would be done. Brenda would have a larger story role and they would become a foundational couple for the younger people.

In another time I would instantly put her and Jax back together. But Ingo's personal politics and IRL behavior have seriously soured me on him in the last couple years, so I'd probably write him back out again lol. If not for those unfortunate recent years he could mix it up a little with Brenda or be a serious spoiler for Carly and A.J. - LW's Carly was a fool to lose Jax, he was good to her.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Yeah, lol.  I used to think MB was DEAD sexy.  Now I am like meh?  I don't understand the mumbling and stuttering.  He was perfectly capable of delivering lines in the 90's.  I still think he is worth some good performances, but I actually think Vanessa brings more out of him.  But he seems to respect her and what she brings to the table.  Because he should.  He would not even be a thing if he didn't happen to have some great chemistry with a young Bren.  He literally would have gone down as a weird creeper that seduced Karen if not.  So S&B being fire may or may not have ruined the entire trajectory of the show.  Take that as you will lol

• Members

caroline and I discussed this in the long ago past but I think Guza actually did a very, very good job evolving Brenda past Sonny to Jax when Maurice left for the first time. Whether it was by necessity or not, he told the press he would make the audience see Jax and Brenda as a supercouple to rival Sonny and for my money he did exactly that (and I was not a big fan of Brenda at all back then). The scenes she shared with the struggling Sonny in '98 really sold that she had gone beyond him for me. I think when they regressed her in 2002 it was a betrayal of that; Guza had clearly lost all interest in Jax. That being said, it happened and Sonny and Brenda have tried before to make a go of it, and articulated the reasons why it did not work as older people. To me that is where the meat of the story is. If Ingo had not become a hardcore Trumper in public I might feel differently.

• Members

Yes.  I do.  In an actual world Brenda and Jax were super viable and it played in a way that you could see Brenda's dilemma. I don't even honestly consider Jax Brenda's 2nd choice.  Just a more adult choice.  Jax got jealous and ruined it twice over a couple of kisses.   So I see them both as very much at fault.  I don't think IR or VM lost any chemistry at all over the years.  It could play on and on for years honestly.  Brenda would appear wishy washy, but she already does so?  Sonny and Brenda seem to always be chasing dreams (though I love it), but Jax and Brenda are the true rootable couple.

Edited by carolineg