GH: Classic Thread

• Members

That's the same conclusion I reached today.

I also ended up rereading the summaries of the Herbert saga from October-December 1987. Turns out the story was at least partially about Edward's pride. He/Alan and Herbert/Quentin (with help from Sean) had a bet where whomever could turn $50 million into $1 billion first was the undisputed financial leader of the Qs and won it all. Frankly, if anyone was willing to gamble their money like that, they deserved whatever they'd get. As for the story itself, it meandered all over the place, ended with little consequences (Autumn ended up giving Alan and Quentin $50 million each) and is really most notable for introducing Cheryl (who was Herbert's broker).

Finally, Herbert is Edward's cousin and Celia's grandfather. This means that Jimmy Lee would be ...

Your grandfather's cousin's son is your Father's or Mother's second cousin. Out of of courtesy, deference, good manners & politeness you'd refer to your parent's cousin as your Uncle, - being of the same generation as your parents, but technically he'd be your second cousin once removed, which means 1 generation apart.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Oh! I could see that! I do think Y&R gave DD the shaft. The show's longest-serving cast member should have a place on the canvas. I'm not saying he has to be front-burner or on-screen several days every week, 52 weeks a year, but he has earned his place in Genoa City. If they don't use him, I'd be perfectly happy to see him as Jeff Webber. He can project the sunny disposition that RDA used to offer in the role.  We need more Hardys, Baldwins and Webbers and a LOT fewer Sonnys, Jasons, Francos and Carlys.

I agree. I want both characters on the canvas and on contract, but they have no chemistry together. I'd end that relationship ASAP.

• Members

I always enjoy these episodes more with commercials. The Canadian ads added a different flavor.

I know this is not seen as a great period for the show, but aside from those boring, overlong Colton scenes, I thought it was a decent episode. The Jerome family crime drama was gripping - loved seeing Linda Cristal too. 

I'll take 1988 over modern present day era GH any day. I also liked Dimitra. The Jerome's were all interesting. I like how the mob didn't take over the show. This has to be summer of 88. I couple yrs ago. I watched a good chuck of 88. Even the strike material. I didn't find too bad.

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

I could actually see Doug Davidson in the role, oddly enough. LOL. I wouldn't hate it. And yes we do need more Hardys, Baldwins and Webbers. I would have made Finn and Gregory Tom and Jeff but what do I know?

Will watch soon. Thanks for sharing the link. 

I like watching the commercials too

• Members

Even though this was not the greatest period on the show, it’s still very watchable and interesting.

GH went through so many strange periods in the 1980’s for a show that was consistently in the upper tier of soap ratings.  Other shows fell much harder during rough patches, but until a few months in to Monty’s second stint, the show had high ratings.  That is audience loyalty.  GH must have had incredibly loyal viewers before Monty’s return and Eckert invasion drove them away.

Shows like DAYS and GL did not maintain those high rankings and numbers during their rough patches in the same 10 year period.

• Members

Alas, the current PTB clearly do not care about the show's long, rich history and  legacy characters. There are still branches of the vintage family trees to pluck from, but I think we'll be stuck, instead, with Frank's slimy pets forever.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Same. I like how strong and independent Laura is now without being saddled in a victim role. Despite their problems though, I don't care to see her with anyone but Luke. I'm hoping their reunion is the final scene of GH should it end anytime soon.

Edited by ironlion