GH: Classic Thread

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

@Franko Thanks for that. I kept meaning to go around to all the soap threads and tell everyone about it. @titan1978 I have collected all the Jon Michael Reed and Lynda Hirsch columns and recaps. I started with 1982 but the main goal was to pick up from Mar 83 where the other blog of soap recaps had stopped. I do have access to JMR's and LH's columns and recaps from when they both started in 1976 onwards, and will get to that eventually. 

• Members

July 66 newspaper summary

Lee called off the engagement with Jessie, manfully telling her she needs Phil now. At the hospital, Dr. Phil Brewer is excited, he has good news about the baby. Dr. Steve isn't so sure this is really a breakthrough, but Phil rushes right over to tell Jessie that "our Nancy" has improved. Lee visits nurse Meg. He's blue. Jessie belongs to Phil now. "They have the baby or their grief in common." 

Lost in the midst of time that Jessie was engaged to Lee Baldwin and later married Peter Taylor.

• Members

Yeah, basically I believe the story was that Jessie had dumped Phil after suffering a miscarriage; got engaged with Lee, but Phil found out and raped Jessie. Jessie fell pregnant and initially tried to keep it a secret until the divorce. However Phil did find out and called off the divorce. Jessie gave birth to Nancy prematurely, so Lee called off the engagement (see above) but Nancy passed away so Jessie divorced Phil. However, Lee and Jessie did not get back together because he was now in love with Meg.

Jessie then married John Prentice, but he had a terminal illness. After he died, Jessie was put on trial alongside Tom Baldwin. Phil proved that Jessie and Tom were innocent (I think John's daughter Polly had accidentally given him an overdose) and Jessie remarried him. Phil then had an affair with Polly, but she died in a car accident they were in together so Phil left town and was later presumed dead in a plane crash.

Jessie married Peter Taylor, but Phil secretly returned to town and started seeing Diana Maynard. Phil later found out he'd been cleared of responsibility for Polly's death so he went back to Jessie, although he ended up in some sort of accident along the way which left him impotent. Peter and Diana got together and Peter posed as the father of Diana's baby by Phil. Diana had a son named Tracy and when Phil found out he left Jessie (again) and became obsessed with Diana. Eventually Phil realized he wasn't impotent anymore, so he raped Diana. Tracy died and Diana learned she was pregnant by Phil for the second time; Diana eventually gave birth to a daughter, Martha and Phil went off to Nairobi, Kenya.

Peter learned that he wasn't Martha's father, separated from Diana, and started having an affair with Augusta McLeod. Diana agreed to marry a dying patient, Owen Stratton, but he died before Peter and Diana's divorce came through and Peter reunited with Diana. Augusta learned she was pregnant by Peter and lured Phil back from Kenya but of course he ended up murdered. Jessie was initially in the frame for the crime and she and Lee had a 'moment' during this period but nothing came of it as Lee eventually married Caroline Chandler. Diana was put on trial, but it was eventually revealed that Augusta had committed the murder. Augusta eventually gave birth and I don't think Diana ever found out that Peter was the father.

• Members

And if I remember correctly, Martha died during the Port Charles hurricane or thereabouts. Nancy, Tracy, Martha and Augusta and Phil's kid ... talk about four missed opportunities. Tommy Hardy didn't need to be the only legacy character on late '80s GH.

• Members

I really wish the early writing teams on the show had given Jessie a family tie that survived.  On both the show and in real life she was a tragic person.

It’s funny to meet these characters long after their heyday, and yet still love them and find them vital.  Lee Baldwin did not have a single story that I can remember where he was the lead when I was watching.  Same with Gail.  But I loved them!  I wish I could see more of the old school GH.

For folks that watched back then- when Peter and Diana were killed off, were you upset, or had the recast of Diana changed things so much that it wasn’t the same anymore to begin with?  I like Brooke Bundy btw, but she seems very different as Diana.

GH loved killing their legacy kids. Would've been nice if Nancy and Martha had lived. A teenaged Martha playing a role in the Steven Lars saga. Even going up against Heather. Nancy maybe becoming a nurse like her mom. Becoming jealous of Jessie's friendship with Bobbie. Having romances with Scotty or Jimmy Lee for example. So many missed opportunities.

• Members

They even killed off Jane Dawson's daughter Joanne as part of Jane's exit story

Please register in order to view this content

. I have a feeling Martha's death was to provide extra motivation for Diana to adopt Steven-Lars, but I think they could have easily kept her and provided another reason for Diana's desire to adopt (I mean, Diana had already tried fostering, but lost custody of her foster child Mike shortly before the hurricane that killed Martha).