Jump to content


Max

Classic GH Thread

Recommended Posts


@cassadine1991

 

Thought I'd reply here rather than in the ATWT thread.

 

Frankie Greco was the brother of Carla Greco (Carla was Colton's new love interest once Felicia had reunited with Frisco and was played by Laura Harring). Frankie was on for at least 6 - 7 months; involved in storylines with Colton, Ned, Decker and Dawn etc. I don't know what happened to him, but it's likely he got axed when Gloria Monty returned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Dion said:

@cassadine1991

 

Thought I'd reply here rather than in the ATWT thread.

 

Frankie Greco was the brother of Carla Greco (Carla was Colton's new love interest once Felicia had reunited with Frisco and was played by Laura Harring). Frankie was on for at least 6 - 7 months; involved in storylines with Colton, Ned, Decker and Dawn etc. I don't know what happened to him, but it's likely he got axed when Gloria Monty returned.

Yes Frankie and Carla were axed by Gloria. Colton, Charlene, Frankie and Carla all went to the fake Latin America country. Frankie and Carla were from. They were all gone by early 1991. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gloria Monty on the Luke and Laura rape 🤐

 

In September 22, 1998 SOW. Gloria said that she helped
to create the scene and she directed it, but didn't write it.
She says, "I refuse to call it rape. Someone told me that
sequence would never fly today because women are different, and
they would object to it. That's nonsense." She said she
intentionally directed it to have what really happened to Laura
vague in the audience's mind. "You heard her scream 'No, but we
cut away before. You didn't know what ultimately happened,
except that they had sex. I wanted the audience to wonder, 'was
it a rape?'" She says the truth came out later in more subtle
scenes and THOSE are the ones she wrote, rather than the rape.
She says that these later scenes were overlooked.

 

"After the seduction, Luke went to see her in the hospital. He
brought flowers and she smiled and said, 'Thank you,' and, most
importantly, she accepted the flowers. She acted as if nothing
had happened. She could have looked at him the way that she did
and accepted the flowers, if she thought that what had happened
was a rape. The night of the seduction, this man had one day to
live. He was going to die. She came into the disco, and he kept
telling her to go away. In an emotional sequence like that, if
she had started running out and he caught her and dragged her
back, then I would also say it was rape. But if the man says,
'Get out, get out, please leave,' and you stay. . . then you're
crossing the line."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And yet, when you watch a lot of the stuff on YouTube, Laura clearly was raped, says so, and takes months to start opening back up.  Yes, she does protect Luke.  People can be raped by someone they are in love with, infatuated by.  They even sometimes choose to be with that person. But it was still a rape.  Geary played those scenes like he felt immense guilt and shame for raping her back then and during the revisit.

 

If what Monty wanted was to play it as “seduction”, then the show could have done it.  To me, there was never a question.  He raped her, she loved him in spite of it, and forgave him because she wanted to be with him.  The audience reaction to Luke is why they went in the direction they did.

 

The thing I love the most about Monty always sticking to the seduction plan is that she also never did anything like this again on the show during either of her tenures.  I’m not even sure if anyone else was ever raped on GH with her as EP.  The only other serious social message story I can think of was Bobbie being abused by Brock.  
 

Which was kind of refreshing. Seeing how many heroines were raped as plot points on almost all the other shows during that same time (was anyone not raped on Santa Barbara or DAYS?) was atrocious.  Only a handful were treated with care.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched something a few years ago where someone was exploring their family history and found out an ancestor in like the 1800's had been raped but all the documents (i.e. papers, etc) referred to as a seduction.  It made me think of the whole Luke/Laura thing since I heard it called that in the past.

Edited by jcar03

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, titan1978 said:

 I’m not even sure if anyone else was ever raped on GH with her as EP.  

I've seen a few references over the years to Monica possibly being raped by Alan in early 1980 ( so only a few months after Luke and Laura). I've never seen clips so I don't know the exact circumstances and it seems that if it occurred it was seriously downplayed.

 

Other than that there were a few attempted rapes and rapes mentioned in backstory until Carla Greco (as it happens she's mentioned up thread) was raped by her ex in 1990. But that was during Joseph Hardy's run, several months before Monty returned.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Dion said:

I've seen a few references over the years to Monica possibly being raped by Alan in early 1980 ( so only a few months after Luke and Laura). I've never seen clips so I don't know the exact circumstances and it seems that if it occurred it was seriously downplayed.

 

Other than that there were a few attempted rapes and rapes mentioned in backstory until Carla Greco (as it happens she's mentioned up thread) was raped by her ex in 1990. But that was during Joseph Hardy's run, several months before Monty returned.

 

Monica and Alan had such a toxic relationship.  I remember them really calming down after their remarriage (not that they stopped having affairs- Alan nearly with Rhonda and Bobbie, Monica with Pierce Dorman), but the venom was mostly gone in their interactions with each other.  Before then though it could get downright nasty between them.  I am not excusing a rape or blaming Monica at all- just remembering how awful and entertaining to watch they could be.

 

Which also makes me miss David Lewis as Edward.  He could be such a bastard.  I loved Ingle as well, but his Edward was more blowhard than scheming villain.

Edited by titan1978

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, titan1978 said:

Monica and Alan had such a toxic relationship.  I remember them really calming down after their remarriage (not that they stopped having affairs- Alan nearly with Rhonda and Bobbie, Monica with Pierce Dorman), but the venom was mostly gone in their interactions with each other.  Before then though it could get downright nasty between them.  I am not excusing a rape or blaming Monica at all- just remembering how awful and entertaining to watch they could be.

 

Which also makes me miss David Lewis as Edward.  He could be such a bastard.  I loved Ingle as well, but his Edward was more blowhard than scheming villain.

It helps that Stuart and Leslie had such excellent chemistry, plus Alan & Monica had relatively long periods where they weren't having affairs/at each other's throats (snarking, on the other hand ...), but yeah, watching their early scenes, you wouldn't automatically assume this is a couple that'd make it to their fifth anniversary, let alone their 20th. I guess it was circa 1982, when the Susan/Alan/Monica/Rick/Lesley entanglements were mostly over, that A&M began their slow transition to tentpole couple.

Notice the line about Alan "practically" having to rape Monica. Clearly the show was trying to keep any leading character with futures away from being considered out-and-out rapists.

And finally, it's appropriate we're talking about A&M, since it's approximately 40 years since A.J.'s paternity was set straight.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alan did rape Monica, I remember the scenes, back then it was referred to as forcing himself on her 😐 like Blake/Krystle on  Dynasty, or Palmer/Donna on AMC!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t know that I would count post Susan Moore as when they calmed down.  Monica has an affair with Sean Donnelly and kicked the Q’s out of the mansion.  Then a couple of years later Alan cheated with Lucy Coe, divorces Monica, and married Lucy.  They were still pretty volatile until the show decided to move that kind of story to their kids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...