GH: Classic Thread

• Members

I started watching during this period because of Maxie's shenanigans. My roommate was a big GH fan so we watched together. I thought she was so much fun. I grew up with Kirsten as Belle (I was indifferent). Storms impressed me during Maxie's sleazy years despite the misogynistic writing because she was so funny. I thought Maxie and Lulu would've been a great rivalry, but it was clear TPTB favored Lulu (JMB can be a wonderful actress but Lulu was unbearable). I cheered when she finally smacked the hell outta Lulu during the Text Message Killer (My God) storyline. I remember Maxie being so vicious to Felicia at Georgie's funeral that I gasped. I wanted her to win the Emmy that year. Maxie could be gleefully vindictive, hilariously petty, and dripping shade, but Storms had a handle on the character (I never felt the writers did) so I understood why. The other characters were so full of [!@#$%^&*] about who they were, she was clear about who she was. I enjoyed that. The show was abysmal, she was sublime. 

Edited by Queen

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

HLove Michele Val Jean's comment. This is how you build a soap couple organically!!

https://m.facebook.com/CadyMcClain/photos/a.135036933215173/3202460049806164/?type=3

Ha! This is framed and on a wall in my house. Kevin & Lucy were my couple. As in they weren't on anyone's radar as a couple till I went to Claire Labine and said what if Lucy decides she needs therapy. Not because she really believes it but because she thinks Kevin is cute. Claire loved it, told me to run with it and that was that. Gosh, I loved writing those two. 

• Members

I've read somewhere that Scotty was 23, but I think that may have been in 1979 when he married Laura, who was 17 at the time, so nearly a six year age gap. They actually started dating when Laura was only 15, which I've always thought was a bit problematic (but may have been more common in the 70s? I don't know).

• Members

The only time when it was okay for a man of 21 to date a girl of 15 was during the Middle Ages -- and that's because, life spans were remarkably short; and if she wasn't married and with children by then, she was considered an old maid, cursed to spinsterhood for all eternity.

• Members

Funny to think about now- Monty and Marland told Genie and her father that they wanted to use her to grab a younger audience.  And she was front burner from there until she left after the wedding, often in very challenging material for anyone, let alone a woman younger than 18.  So they wanted that audience but they did not fill Laura’s life up with peers her own age- she dated Scotty, dealt with David, her mother, Rick and Monica, Bobbie and Luke.  Nobody her own age except Amy was a major factor in her early years.

I have a lot of empathy for Genie, you can clearly see when she talks about it that while she loved the actual work, the rest was very difficult.  Maybe if she had an actual teen scene like they do now she would have felt less alone and the show wouldn’t have written her into so many problematic stories.