GH: Classic Thread

• Members

Thirty years ago, give or take ... Halloween at Wyndermere.

The costumes are across-the-board impressive, but I'm shaking my head at quite a few of them. Like what on earth is Monica supposed to be? I could be mistaken, but I think these were Jane's last episodes before her maternity leave and Christine Jones' temporary run as Tracy. Also, in the battle between Frisco and Colton ... I'll take Scotty.

Edited by Franko

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Part III. Ask yourself if Katherine going as Tonto would fly today. Also, she's not really a soap star, but Janis Paige (Aunt Iona) is still with us. I'm still not sure what to make of Anna's outfit. Sexy matron?

Edited by Franko

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

*fiddles with handkerchief*

I would like to talk about ... Jenny Eckert.

*support group screams in trauma and frustration*

No, but seriously, I'm actually kinda impressed that the show didn't rush her and Paul into bed. If I read the summaries right, that didn't actually happen until February 1993, after nearly two years of will they or won't they tension.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

@victoria foxton Thanks for the clip. In sheer coincidence, I just decided to watch Brenda's breakdown storyline from around this same time period.

I find it interesting that Sonny left Brenda at the altar to protect her from his lifestyle, yet a few years later he moves Carly and Michael into his penthouse. I do recognize however, they only had Sonny do so because Maurice was going to leave the show temporarily.

I wonder what would have became of Sonny and Brenda had Vanessa not left the show that year. ( Sonny and Carly may have never happened, if they didn't pair Carly with Jason, Carly might have run out of storyline and been off the canvas when Sarah Brown left).

I do enjoy Sonny and Brenda as a couple but I must recognize that Jax, though he has his ways about him, is probably better for Brenda than Sonny. Sonny seems to consume Brenda's entire being. With Jax, yes she has a degree of dependence on him , but she appears stronger and more of her own person. 

Though I prefer Brenda to Carly as Sonny's woman, Carly is admittedly more capable of handling the mob drama.

Finally, there were several missed opportunities with a Brenda/Jason pairing. They had a lot of chemistry during the high school years, in 1998, way more in 2002 during their fake marriage plot, and there was still a lot there in 2010. 

Edited by ironlion

• Members

It was pretty well established that Brenda did not want him to be in the mob, and did not like that part of his personality.  To me, Carly didn’t care about that at all.  It was way more in character for her to accept the danger, even with her kid.  The absolute best example of them all coming to terms with their choices was Michael going to jail, and his assault.  Carly and Sonny both had lots of scenes about their choices leading him to this place, and Jason was pretty much destroyed by it for a period of time.  It was the first time I remember them really coming to terms with everything for Sonny, no matter the cost.

The natural progression at that time with how Carly and Jason felt about Claudia and just how bad Sonny had gotten was for them to really turn on each other.  The writing was even setting it up for a couple of years at that point.

From what I remember, the Sam/Jason storyline was going to be Brenda and Jason and they were going to pair them.  The baby that dies, bonding through that, etc.

• Members

Brenda's breakdown story is probably my least favorite Brenda story ever (yes, including the Balkan).  The actual breakdown is very cringe worthy acting wise and I hated that Sonny leaving her basically led her to spiral into a mental breakdown.  Though I did like the way it brought her and Jax back together.

I think if Vanessa had not left the show they would have kept her with Jax for awhile, although I assume Sonny and Brenda were always the endgame.  I don't think VM leaving would have effected Carly's airtime or story.  She could have had a legendary love/hate relationship with AJ for years.   In fact , thinking about it, Vanessa staying would have probably helped the show stay on track.  Sonny/Brenda/Jax and AJ/Carly/Jason seemed to be the more appropriate triangles and losing both VM and KMc at nearly the same time sorta left SB's Carly as the only viable younger leading lady so she got all the story instead of just leading her own story which probably indirectly caused  Carly to become the lead she is today.

I think Brenda/Jax/Sonny are legendary and Carly/Sonny/Jax can't even hold a candle to that triangle, but I am not sure either pairing would be anywhere close to viable today.  Maybe Brenda/Jax?  The only way I see Brenda and Sonny getting back together is as an endgame pairing when GH ends which I am here for.

Jason and Brenda were going to be paired in 2002.  I heard the same thing @titan1978 did.  Sam's story back then was basically a slightly reworked version of the Brazen/Sonny story they planned before Vm left.  I always wonder how Brenda having Sonny's baby and falling for Jason would have effected the show.  I assume it would have ended at some point with Carly/Jason and Brenda/Sonny.  It was always a missed opportunity to not pair Jason and Brenda but the timing was never right.  Jason and Brenda always had a weird almost sexual energy to them even when they were bickering and fighting and I think Sbu and Vm play off each other well.  It's one of the few times StoneCold's lack of emotion and SBu's bored acting choices actually worked in a pairing.  

Oh well it was not to be.  But seriously I could think of 10 characters to drop from current GH just to bring Vanessa back.  Watching Brenda in super long sleeves cackling, making out with Sonny, and fighting with Jason is still more entertaining than anything on the current show

• Members

I'd be the new Nina Laemmle of daytime TV, axing characters left, right and center, bwahahahahahahahahahaha!

(The only difference is, I would understand the show I took over, and would only write out characters who did not belong on it in the first place.)

Vote for VETSOAPFAN to take over the writing reigns of GH! Or DAYS! Or Y&R

I seriously could not do worse than the "writers" we have on the soaps now. 

Please register in order to view this content