Jump to content
Max

Classic GH Thread

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, AbcNbc247 said:

I always thought it was rape too. Maybe they were under the belief that controversy means higher ratings, which is some cases was probably true. 

 

I'm glad they revisited it years later and at least tried to provide closure. I think the one of the subwriters at the time was a rape victim herself, and admitted that she was never comfortable with the way GH handled Laura's rape. 

 

And though I do give props to Leslie Charleson for calling out how irresponsible it is for someone who commits a terrible crime to get away with it, I find a little funny considering the turn the show took when the mob was brought in.

 

If only she knew what was to come lol

 

Way back when, soaps used to have a moral compass, and would never let heinous actions like rape or murder go unpunished for long. Master writers like William J. Bell, Pat Falken Smith, etc., knew how to nuance their characters and storytelling, so that characters who committed terrible actions at least suffered for years afterwards. Many shows nowadays, particularly GH, not only ignore egregious transgressions, but they treat degenerate criminals (Sonny, Jason, Franco, etc.) as romantic heroes. It's revolting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, vetsoapfan said:

 

Way back when, soaps used to have a moral compass, and would never let heinous actions like rape or murder go unpunished for long. Master writers like William J. Bell, Pat Falken Smith, etc., knew how to nuance their characters and storytelling, so that characters who committed terrible actions at least suffered for years afterwards. Many shows nowadays, particularly GH, not only ignore egregious transgressions, but they treat degenerate criminals (Sonny, Jason, Franco, etc.) as romantic heroes. It's revolting.

 

Bill Bell and Pat Falken Smith both wrote things that I have notated as ??controversial??. The amount of time that DOOL let go by - from Mike's birth till he was a teen - without having the reveal was atrocious!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Donna B said:

 

Bill Bell and Pat Falken Smith both wrote things that I have notated as ??controversial??. The amount of time that DOOL let go by - from Mike's birth till he was a teen - without having the reveal was atrocious!

 

Or a great, complex, mesmerizing, adult and long-arc storyline that kept the audience enthralled, emotionally torn and WATCHING for a decade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, vetsoapfan said:

 

Or a great, complex, mesmerizing, adult and long-arc storyline that kept the audience enthralled, emotionally torn and WATCHING for a decade.

 

We-ell, that is one way to put it. Besides all of that, it also included its being a familial storyline because Mickey & Bill & Laura & Tom & Alice & Mike himself were all related to each other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Donna B said:

 

We-ell, that is one way to put it. Besides all of that, it also included its being a familial storyline because Mickey & Bill & Laura & Tom & Alice & Mike himself were all related to each other.

 

Yes, you are correct. The members of the Horton family were all related to other members of the Horton family. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, vetsoapfan said:

 

Yes, you are correct. The members of the Horton family were all related to other members of the Horton family. :)

 

LOL, yes, you put me in my place there. 🎃

 

Although my own family always felt like we were Hortons!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, titan1978 said:

I think Gloria had an eye for talent, and could spot chemistry, and knew what to do with it.  Because even when her show was not well written (outside of Marland’s tenure and both of Falken-Smith’s), it was still compelling and entertaining television.

 

As far as Luke goes- the Labine era made me love him.  He was still dangerous (all that Frank Smith stuff), and wasn’t really a “hero”, but he had so many rich relationships and had chemistry with all of them.  Sonny, Lucy, Bobbie, Lucky, Tony, Robin, Stone- not just with Laura.  I loved his relationships with those people.

 

The thing about Tony that drives me crazy as a fan of this show is he was always trying to sell a Luke I did not see on screen as the version of Luke.  I get he didn’t want to be turned into Steve Hardy, but he he was elected mayor!  At the height of his original run he was everything he claimed he hated about the character once Labine arrived, and blamed it on her.

 

If anything, Laura was the one that kind of lost her way under Labine.  Guza’s first tenure as HW brought her back.

 

Yea, even when Gloria Monty didn't have great writing, her show, for me, was not to be missed.  I literally was glued to the show for 10 years.  And she had that eye for chemistry that extended beyond Luke & Laura: she also gave us Robert & Holly, Frisco & Felicia and Duke & Anna.  And after Laura's rape, there was never another rape on GH under her tenure.  I give her credit for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, OldGHFan said:

 

Yea, even when Gloria Monty didn't have great writing, her show, for me, was not to be missed.  I literally was glued to the show for 10 years.  And she had that eye for chemistry that extended beyond Luke & Laura: she also gave us Robert & Holly, Frisco & Felicia and Duke & Anna.  And after Laura's rape, there was never another rape on GH under her tenure.  I give her credit for that.

 

Who was in charge when Elizabeth's rape happened?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Donna B said:

 

Who was in charge when Elizabeth's rape happened?

 

Wendy Riche, executive producer

Robert Guza, head writer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Errol said:

 

Wendy Riche, executive producer

Robert Guza, head writer

Thank  you, kind sir.  I loved Riche, but I was always leery of Guza.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"On daytime" I came from prime time, and originally I had very little understanding of daytime. When you look at it, it seems to be a little bit slower, so there tends to be criticism in that regard. But the reason it appears slower to someone used to nighttime is because its stories are told in real time. It is slower because the characters are living life in that moment. Daytime drama does not limit its range of emotions, or its scope of storytelling. We are only limited by what we can do in a studio, and I have found that we can do pretty much anything. The story must have a heart, a soul, and a purpose, whether its adventure-driven or issue-oriented. Daytime must reach deep inside the viewer's heart and enable a person to connect with the characters. The audience wants a personal, human connection, and when they get it, they are devoted. --Wendy Riche, Executive Producer, GENERAL HOSPITAL. THE MUSEUM OF TELEVISION & RADIO WORLDS WITHOUT END THE ART AND HISTORY OF THE SOAP OPERA (1997) Harry N. Abrams, Inc.

 

Speaking of Wendy Riche, who I have just quoted here, why in the world did they fire her?! It seems to me that she was such a success for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wanna know why they fired Riche in favor of soap killer Phelps aswell?

 

Speaking of Luke and Laura I enjoyed them under Labine in the 90s because they appeared more domesticated than their action adventure plots in the 80s. However, 95-02 basically shat on Luke and Laura with the mob violence, Nickolas' intro, Stefan, the rape revisitation, Lucky's death and the Felicia affair. Not to mention Laura going mad in 02. I liked some of those plots but it's interesting how it basically destroyed the couple. 

Edited by ironlion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, ironlion said:

I wanna know why they fired Riche in favor of soap killer Phelps aswell?

 

Speaking of Luke and Laura I enjoyed them under Labine in the 90s because they appeared more domesticated than their action adventure plots in the 80s. However, 95-02 basically shat on Luke and Laura with the mob violence, Nickolas' intro, Stefan, the rape revisitation, Lucky's death and the when Felicia affair. Not to mention Laura going mad in 02. I liked some of those plots but it's interesting how it basically destroyed the couple. 

 

I actually enjoyed a lot of those stories.  I loved Stefan and Laura and I'm someone who loved Luke & Laura.  That said, when Lucky "died" in the fire, I really thought Luke and Laura should have reunited.  It was the perfect opportunity.  But they just trashed the couple instead.   I'm sure Geary had a big part in that. 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Donna B said:

Another thing I've read about Monty is what she did first & that was re-light the show. If the set were all dark when she got there & the ratings were in the toilet, then, you know, morale was abysmal when she came on. I've always wondered if that "smart cookie" exec in the movie TOOTSIE was an intentional homage to Monty.

It was.  I read an interview with Susan Pratt and she mentioned Hoffman visiting the set, interviewing some of the cast and watching filming, hanging backstage, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also agree that the fire was a real turning point.  It was like they wanted to nail the coffin shut, not leave it open a crack like everything before it.  They kind of tore each other apart, and it was hard to watch.

 

I do think both Tony and Genie excel with that kind of dark, emotional material.  I thought we actually saw how Laura would have grieved for Lucky, even if it kind sidelined her for almost a year.  Which is rare for a soap. They do tell things in real time (especially back then) but often with extreme grief they let them move on.  She was morose for months.  Had to be hard to act that kind of pain, but it’s one of the things that I loved about her in that era.

 

I had no issue with the rape revisit storyline- it was important and made sense in the context of Lucky finding Liz.  What I hated was how he treated Laura, and how other than a couple of scenes she got the story wasn’t about her.  It was only about Luke.  And Lucky’s pain kind of eclipsed Liz at times too.  And that sucks.

 

She had kind of been sidelined during Labine’s last year (maternity leave, Luke and her on the outs), and Guza really brought her back.  She went on trial for killing Damian, then the bone marrow and Nikolas reveal, through her next maternity leave and finding Lesley.  She was the focal point of all those stories, not Luke.  It was the last time they were a couple and the story revolved around her until she went crazy.  I always wondered if it was because she kept refusing to come back to the show during that maternity leave, so they stopped trying with her character.  I remember an interview with Michael Logan when  Guza returned, and he asked about Genie.  And Bob said he would go down on his knees to beg her to come back (or close to that).  What a difference a decade makes- they refused to bring her back when she was ready, except for guest stints.

 

One thing that first Guza run did is that I did not feel that most of Labine’s work was very soapy.  Guza brought that back, big time.  Love triangles, secrets from the past, murder mysteries, and a medical crisis involving family.  All in one amazing year.

 

Who killed Damian Smith?

 

 

13512C14-AE10-405E-96C5-47F4CAD3AC74.jpeg

Edited by titan1978

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...