GH: Classic Thread

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Speaking of EP's, Valentini really healed Phelps' damage in several aspects but it's time for a massive overhaul where GH is concerned. New head writer, new EP needed, and a massive cast slimming is in store. Far too many charachters serve absolutely no purpose on the show but filler material. 

There's more of an ensemble feel now compared to 10 years ago, but Jason is (arguably) the star of GH right now.

• Members

LOL!

hard to think 3-4 characters have eaten GH for nearly 20 years now.....

Instresting to see how the show shifted "star charachters".....we went from the Steve Hardy show to the Luke & Laura Show, to the Robert & Ana Show, to the Sonny/Carly/Jason/ Courtney then Sam show. 

Edited by ironlion

• Members

Nothing on this show has ever been as all consuming as Guza and Phelps Sonny/Carly/Jason.  

At the height of Luke and Laura we had actual stories for the Quartermaines, Rick/Lesley, Diana’s murder and Jeff/Heather, etc that had nothing to do with Luke and Laura.  Sure there were times they dominated and were the topic of the town, but not to the extent of Sonny.

I do think the era of Anna/Robert/Frisco/Felicia came close.  But even then there was still Lucy marrying Tony, Bobbie and Jake, Sean and Monica stealing the Q’s money, Tiffany and Sean falling in love, etc.  Nothing revolving around the actual hospital of note, but still better than Sonny Hospital.

• Members

MrEdge80s is posting clips of 1983 GH on YT this evening along with some Daytime Dilemmas.  I took this screenshoot of Jimmy Lee from when he was in GH following an accident on the docks.  Apparently, something happened to his nipples 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Funny, I think BH is one of the few cast members that actually always tries even with crap material.  Mo has been checked out since about 2005.  The last time I remember him trying at all was Soily and his bipolar storyline.    It's startling to watch a clip from say, 1995, and see the difference in his acting.  With KeMo, I am not sure she was ever checked in.   I think her 'acting' style is just monotone with zero energy, although I think she was better on PC.  SBu is clearly just there for a paycheck as well.  Besides a little spark with the early Liason pairing I don't think Steve has shown signs of life since he and Brenda were 'married' in 2002.  Steve actually is good at comedy.

• Members

Ep #4269

Taped 11/28/79

Aired 12/12/79

Exec Producer

Gloria Monty

Written by

Pat Falken Smith and Carey Wilbur

Ditector

George Thompson

Cast

Terri Banks

Marianne Barrett

Herbert Beakman

John Beradino

Brooke Bundy

Richard Craine

Joe Cartucci

Cheryl Coleman

Norma Connelly

Christopher Craig

Jim Cromer

Todd Davis

Betty DeRosa

Vivian Farren

Bianca Ferguson

Genie Francis

Jeanette Garrett

George Gaynes

Anthony Geary

Peter Hansen

Kathy Long

Albert Lord

Frank Maxwell

Garret Nichols

Virginia Otto

Susan Pratt

Richard Sarradat

Doug Sheehan

Keith Van Span

Melvina Sparks

David Sterling

Barbara Sydney

Phillip Tanzini

Ban Truluck

William Ward

Jim Warren

Jerry Zelenka

Jaclyn Zeman

That seems a huge number of recurring/under 5's.

Maybe there was some special event on that episode?

• Members

Valerie Starrett was  Nurse Diana Taylor #1

I found this great source: https://sixtiescinema.com/2013/05/28/valerie-starrett-responds/

Starrett left the role in 1977 at the time when Tom Donovan took over as executive producer, brought in new directors and wanted to take the show in a different direction. This included the Diana Taylor character who would go from the show’s popular heroine to a more grasping desperate woman. Starrett left (Brooke Bundy took over as Diana) and her fans were outraged. Shortly after Donovan was replaced by Gloria Monty. With Luke and Laura now the soap’s main focus, Diana was pushed to the backburner and became more grasping than ever trying to keep her adoptive son from the birth mother. To put the character and the audience out of their misery, Diana was found murdered lying in a pool of blood in her kitchen with the name Ann Logan spelled out in blood.

Valerie’s response to them:  “Hi!  It’s Valerie Starrett.  I just saw this!  The fans meant everything to me!  and you are all right!  I did not like the direction Diana was going and I ‘m happy I got out before it went downhill.  You have no  Idea how much I enjoyed being Diana and will forever thank you for watching me!  As a funny side note, I am still best friends with Rachel Ames, Audrey!  We see movies and plays together often!” (this published was in 2013)

FYI, since I looked up the others, Don Chastain played Tom Baldwin (who I'm not sure if he was Scotty's uncle because I thought he was Lee's brother, but it is not referenced in the GH wikibio) he raped Audrey and sired Tom Hardy (which is interesting to think of all the ties Tom Jr would have to the current canvas).  Lee Warrick played  Mary-Ellen Dante the psychotic ex-wife of Dr. Mark Dante (I recall Mark always being a backburnered doctor in the 80s with great hair, but I may be confusing him with Derek Barrington).  And Karen Purcil(l) (70s soap mags are always misspelling actor's names) played Jill Streeter who I can't find anything more on than what is in the soap hopper thread. 

Edited by j swift