GH: Classic Thread

• Members

LW doesn't look or act like a woman who has ever had to fight or work very hard to get things in life, she seems 100% entitled to everything she has. SB's Carly looked like she had a hardscrabble upbringing, she carried herself like a bulldog that was always ready to bite if you got too close.

Edited by Darn

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Return To Health Since Head Writer Bob Guza’s Return, ‘General Hospital’ Once Again Is In The Pink

Wed., April 1, 1998

By Carol Bidwell Los Angeles Daily News

Never before has a soap opera turned on a dime so publicly.

“From now on, every damn thing around here is gonna be different!” proclaimed Luke Spencer as the Dec. 8 episode of “General Hospital” opened with a raucous party at his nightclub. Before the smoke from Luke’s cigar had wafted into the rafters, viewers saw a wild boogie contest, a drive-by shooting, a mobster’s attempted murder, a supermodel’s mental meltdown, and heroic lifesaving attempts - events that sent months of story line in motion.

“Bam! We were off and running,” exulted “GH” head writer Bob Guza, who announced in that script his intent to shake things up after a year’s hiatus. “It felt good to watch.”

The venerable soap opera, which had limped through its 34th year, hitting fifth place in the ratings among the 11 daytime series last November, was suddenly back in business. In the four months since Guza’s new stories started airing, “GH” - which from 1979 to 1987 was the No. 1-rated daytime drama - has bounced between the No. 2 and No. 3 spots in the ratings, picking up nearly 400,000 viewers along the way. And Guza hopes “GH” will celebrate its 35th year on top once more.

“I love this show,” the writer enthused, leaning back in a leather chair in his austere office overlooking the ABC-TV lot in Hollywood. “This is like coming home for me. I couldn’t wait to come back.”

Guza left for a year to develop NBC’s new “Sunset Beach” soap for Aaron Spelling. During his absence, ratings dipped, many viewers wrote to complain about boring stories, and tales Guza had carefully plotted went awry under the manipulations of three other head writers in succession.

“They took characters in directions I wouldn’t have taken them,” Guza said. “But there are other things that I’m eternally grateful for, that I can build on.”

Whatever comes now, the “GH” cast is ready for it. When word of Guza’s return became public, some actors who reportedly had been considering moving on when their contracts were up began to purr with content.

Steve Burton, who plays the pivotal role of young mob chieftain Jason Morgan, signed a new multiyear contract. And Anthony Geary, who has played volatile Luke Spencer for 20 years, is a happy man again.

“Bob Guza is my hero,” Geary said. “I adore the man. He was with us 20 years ago, and he has always had a respect for the (Luke) character that nobody else had.”

On the set Dec. 8, as the writer hovered behind the cameras, Geary asked him how to deliver the crucial line. “He said, ‘Just tell the truth. Every damn thing is going to change around here.’ So when I said that, I was speaking for the writer, and I was speaking for the character, and I was speaking for the fans,” Geary said.

But is Guza the reason for the show’s renewed success?

“The show’s gone up to No. 2 since he’s been back. He had to have something to do with that,” Kimberly McCullough, who’s played Robin Scorpio for 12 of her 19 years, said matter-of-factly. “That doesn’t just miraculously happen.”

It took many near-miracles to get “GH” on the air in its early days. The oldest soap produced on the West Coast, it debuted April 1, 1963, in black and white, with action centering around General Hospital in the fictional upstate New York waterfront town of Port Charles.

Those first stories centered around three characters: dedicated Dr. Steve Hardy, loyal nurse Jessie Brewer and her philandering and much-younger husband, Dr. Phil Brewer.

“No one expected us to last very long,” John Beradino, who played Steve Hardy until his death in 1996, told Seli Groves, author of “The Ultimate Soap Opera Guide.” “GH” was the first soap to concentrate on making medical maladies seem real; it even hired a real doctor to coach the actors on their performances.

And while other soaps centered around chats over the kitchen table, “GH” broke new ground with story lines on rape and infertility, and over the years its characters dealt with the effects of breast cancer, AIDS, alcoholism, drug addiction, domestic abuse and other social issues.

But its popularity waned, and by 1976 it had sunk to No. 10 among the 15 soaps then on the air. The show was given six months to boost its ratings or be canceled.

Enter executive producer Gloria Monty, determined to put a younger face on Port Charles with a handful of teenage actors - among them the young Genie Francis, who was hired to play Laura Webber. The beautiful daughter of Dr. Leslie Weber was accused of a murder she didn’t commit, married law student Scotty Baldwin (played by Kin Shriner) and went to work in the campus disco, where she met mob hit man Luke Spencer. Luke, lusting after the teenager and believing he would be murdered the next day, raped Laura.

Under the unwritten soap opera law that decrees that evil-doers must be punished, Luke should have ended up in jail or been murdered. But viewers had fallen in love with the couple, so the writers quickly rewrote history, characterizing the sexual attack as a seduction. Laura fell in love with her rapist, and Luke and Laura became soapdom’s first “supercouple.”

As “GH” expanded from a half-hour to an hour in 1978, college students scheduled their classes around the show. Luke and Laura were pictured on the cover of Newsweek magazine, and their November 1981 wedding, which drew more than 30 million viewers, still ranks as daytime’s most-watched episode.

Neither Francis nor Geary, who were busy in the studio taping four or five shows a day during Luke and Laura’s heyday, had any idea their characters had made such an impression on America’s consciousness.

“I think it was the cover of Newsweek when we went, ‘Wow, what’s going on here?”’ Geary said. “We never expected Luke and Laura to be that big.”

Once wed, the couple rode off into the sunset but returned in 1993. Since then, Francis has left to give birth to two children and is currently on extended maternity leave. Ostensibly, Laura is hiding from the Cassadines - her two-decades-ago kidnappers - but viewers are growing impatient for her return.

In the 12 years daytime shows have competed for their own Emmys, the series and its cast members have won 26 statuettes, including Best Daytime Drama in 1981, ‘84, ‘95, ‘96 and ‘97. It’s nominated for more than a dozen Emmys this year; awards will be handed out May 15. It’s Guza’s longtime link with the show - he started as a scriptwriter in 1982 - that has everyone expecting that the awards will continue to roll in.

Soap audiences have dwindled in the past 20 years, so can “GH” ever be No. 1 again? Can it overcome the CBS-TV powerhouse “The Young and the Restless,” the top-rated soap for more than nine years?

“I think we’ll do it,” Guza said confidently. “But to do it, everybody who ever watched ‘General Hospital’ will have to come back. And that’s what we’re aiming for.”

Edited by redontop4

• Members

Brown had the chip on her shoulder vibe that worked for the character...guarded with a heart of gold..and was her own worst enemy.  She would hurt people because she assumed they would hurt her in the long run.  A defense mechanism.

Braun had a more demure vibe..a little rough around the edges..but seemed more like she'd be coy and attack from behind instead of to your face.

Bransford seemed more like a live wire that would attack for no reason.

Wright is more entitled, chip on her shoulder and more harsh.  None of the heart underneath the rough exterior like brown, the coy manner of Braun, or the crazy emotional intensity of Bransford.  

• Members

Although not an exact date, the cast changes section of the January ‘76 issue of DaytimeTV states that Stacey Baldwin had joined as Lesley’s long-lost daughter, Laura.

In the same issue, it states that the February issue would be on newsstands on December 23.  That would be December of ‘75, so I would guess the January issue went on sale in November of ‘75.

Edited by depboy

• Members

You know, I have always been team Laura and Genie.  But the article posted above reminds me that although I think the network and producers let Tony get away with murder and did not value her, she also left more than he did.

I remember her maternity leave that did not end.  And on Steve Burton’s podcast, she commented on how Riche gave her a first in first out type of deal once her kids were born, and how there was resentment for that that.  It might be the only time she was given favored status over Geary once he became popular.  Monty and JFP certainly treated him with more respect.

She has also stated that at times she would let him do the battles for both of them, although she also fought bts for better stories with him.  It just seems in hindsight that Riche did see her as important.  I wonder if that plays into how much Tony disliked Wendy?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

THIS

I will always vastly prefer SJB in the role. And to be frank, she should still be in this role.

I like Laura Wright. She's passable in the role because she at least ... acts and tries and gives effort. 

Such a truly dreadful time. I've blocked a lot of that out but your fantastic recall has me remembering a lot of that. Sigh. Guza sucked as a whole, but that year was particularly putrid. 

• Members

Summation of charachteristics: 

Sarah Brown: rough,  "hood rat", chip on her shoulder Carly

Tamera Braun: Sassy, firey, mob wife Carly

Laura Wright: popular mean girl Carly

Jennifer Bransford:

Please register in order to view this content

Moreover, When was the last time we got something compelling out of Sam, Liz or Sonny, they all seem to have zero energy left in their roles

Edited by ironlion

• Members

Becky Herbst is mostly checked out with Roger Howarth, and I don't blame her as everything goes back to Franco and propping him. But she does well with Liz's kids stuff. I'm glad they're giving her some kid drama but it's still all about Franco. So infuriating. But Mo and Kelly? They've been out to lunch for at least a decade at this point.

• Members

I always thought Courtney was Pratt, not Frons.

Once Pratt was gone a lot of the show got better.  The stories and characters made sense again, even if Guza couldn’t stop the Sonny propping, which got worse from that point on.  I also remember when it seemed like the focus shifted from Sonny to Jason.  There were a couple of years there (Sonny/Emily) where it seemed like they might actually make them enemies.  All of a sudden Jason was the name every character said all the time, not Sonny.

Edited by titan1978