GH: Classic Thread

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

If you watched back then, Mac drove front burner story from his arrival until about a year into Guza’s first tenure.  Then Guza came back and the god awful two Macs story happened.  He lost interest in him after that and so did the show for the most part.

I didn’t always enjoy him (except when he and Felicia were first falling in love and fighting Ryan together).  It’s only by 1996 to 1997 that his placement seemed wrong as far as status.

Watching that open makes me miss Rosalind Cash so much.  Although anyone writing for her but Labine seems like it would not have gone well.  Labine just got that character and actress.

• Members

Oh I definitely remember Mac got a lot of story. But it still struck me as weird that he'd be the final face, just because that has been traditionally reserved for the icons of their soaps like Susan Lucci, Erika Slezak, Victoria Wyndham, or Susan Flannery, not just the leading man du jour.

Yeah, Labine had a fondness and reverence for Rosalind Cash that was palpable. It's so sad that she was only 56 when she died. She seemed like such a wise elder when she was only just two years older than what Kristian Alfonso is now.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

I have found some old soap scrapbooks and magazines in the front hall closet, and it made me nostalgic for the good old days, when the shows had great writing and interesting characters. I could easily live without 80% of the actors on today's GH, but adored all the actors/characters pictured above. Even the mid-1970s, when the show stumbled, it was Shakespeare compared to what we see on screen now.

• Members

My time watching the show and really paying attention was well past the heyday of Nurse Jessie.  But as a kid I had a fondness for her, seeing her at the Nurses station and admonishing Amy for gossiping.  Caring deeply about Bobbie and little Robin.  That’s what these people running the shows have forgotten.  Seeing those characters does matter to younger viewers.

• Members

I have NEVER understood the myth promoted by some PTB, who insist that populating soaps with gads of teens and 20-somethings is the key to success; the key to attracting and maintaining a young audience. Have these executives not paid attention? Even "kids" in the audience ADORE the vets. Teens everywhere wanted a cool grandmother like Alice Horton or Bert Bauer. They loved watching Phoebe Tyler cast shade on her lower-class neighbors, or Lila Quartermaine give Tracy and Edward a good tongue-lashing. Viewers of all ages mourned when Nancy Hughes died, just before ATWT was cancelled. No matter what their ages are, the viewers find comfort in the "old folks," familiar faces whom they come to regard as family.

In the 1980s, long after the quality of the show had declined, I continued to tape GH, just to keep up with folks like Steve, Audrey, Jessie, Lee, and Lesley. It infuriated me that the show ignored Jessie Brewer's absence completely, after Emily McLaughlin died in real life. This once-vital character simply ceased to exist without explanation, which was SUCH a slap in the face to the character, the actress, and to the fans who adored them. At least they wove Steve Hardy's death into the show, many years later.