GH: Classic Thread

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I was reading an old SOD from spring 1984 and the 'news' section mentioned that Rachel Ames' contract hadn't been renewed, but that she would at least be guaranteed 20 appearances in the next year. 

I'd read about how Monty slashed the appearances of the older, longtime cast members, but I hadn't known it had been that severe, and this at a time when Denise Alexander was leaving so they had so few veterans around. I could sort of understand it with Emily McLaughlin as I know she had some health problems, but Ames was such a great actress and Audrey could have been of use to the canvas.

I guess this explains why I feel like I barely ever see Audrey in episodes from the early '80s to around Wendy Riche or so. 

• Members

Not too long after Lee and Gail were off the show for a while. That's when Susan Brown appeared as Janet Laine, Tori's mother on Santa Barbara. Then she appeared sporadically as Adelaide Fitzgibbons on ATWT.

Ames was hardly used, which surprised me. In the early 80s, older characters were used frequently by Monty, especially during Luke/Laura years. I think as they shifted to the Frisco/Anna years  they struggled to find story for Steve and Audrey until they (wisely) brought Tommy back to the canvas. Even then, they didn't use her enough until WR and CL came along. Ames's acting during the Ryan Chamberlain story was fantastic.  I was glad PC used her in it's early years as well. 

I miss her, and I know she may not be in the best of health, but I wish we could see her onscreen again, if only for a few moments.

• Members

I remember reading a Daytime TV from 1986 or so, when Brown and Peter Hansen were let go. The person who wrote the article complained about how they'd had nothing to do and how Sherilyn Wolter and the guy who played Grant Putnam who were also leaving hadn't had anything to do. It was the first Daytime TV I ever read. I found it at a yard sale...

• Members

McLaughglin's daughter, Mary Ann Anderson, once told me in a phone conversation that it was TPTB from ABC who were determined to axe the vets, and that Monty had "tried to protect" them. The men at the network were wary of McLaughlin's spotty ability to work (thanks to her health woes), and were critical of Ames' appearance (her old lady throat, for example, whatever that means). TPTB did not care about the actresses or their history with the show, or even about the veteran viewers who comprised their fan base. At that time it was all about Luke Spencer and his co-horts. We saw even less of Jesse Brewer during the mid-1980s than we did of Audrey Hardy, alas.

• Members

Sad. I'll never understand why networks of that era were so desperate to dump older actors - did they assume that younger viewers would flee in horror at the site of anyone over 40? I'm surprised AMC kept Ruth, Langley, Joe, Myrtle, Phoebe, and Grandma Kate. Maybe that was down to Agnes Nixon.

I guess Steve appeared more but mostly just as a bit player? 

• Members

It just shows how clueless TPTB have always been. The coveted "kids" in the audience have always loved characters of all ages, and adored watching Alice Horton, Edward and Lila Quartermaine, Aunt Liz Matthews, Nancy Hughes, Bert Bauer, etc. Just because a viewer was 15 years old did NOT mean that she only wanted to watch horny, half-naked teenagers running around.

Agnes Nixon did retain some control over AMC at that time, so I imagine the preservation of the show's core, veteran characters was thanks, at least in part, to her influence. Ditto Bill Bell at Y&R, who never stopped writing for the likes of Katherine Chancellor.

We DID see Steve Hardy on GH in the 1980s, but more as a supporting character rather than a lead.

• Members

Between Jeff leaving and Tom coming back as an adult, it seems  Steve was barely in.  Some hospital scenes, group scenes like parties and weddings. 

They gave a lot of the hospital group doctor stuff to Rick, Lesley (until she was gone) Alan and Monica when I started watching the show with any attention being paid to it.  Then Tony once Rick was gone.  Except for the Christmas episode.  That was always Steve if memory serves.

Once Tom arrived and then was with Simone we saw both Steve and Audrey more frequently.  Riche also featured them both in the Ryan storyline, and we saw Steve as a doctor quite often once Labine got there.

Audrey was never my favorite character.  But I loved Steve Hardy.  I also loved Gail and Lee. And I was a child.  That's something these execs never get right.  

My family watched GH so I have memories of it from before I became a fan.  I fell in love with Frisco and Felicia.  They led me to my favorite GH character- Anna.  And watching the show made me care about and enjoy Steve, Gail, Lee, and Edward Q, Lila, etc all clearly outside their desired demographic.

Edited by titan1978

• Members

I think we tend to forget over time that soaps have always wanted to be bringing in new viewers. And soaps also followed what was popular in the early "80's" clubbing, disco etc (yes I was one of those). Soaps to me have always tried to keep young viewers watching cause they were the future success of soaps staying relevant. I was so happy when VCR's came to be cause I could tape my shows. And watch since I worked for over 30 yrs on all 3 shifts at my job over time. I also see that soaps won't be with us forever. I'm 63 with a daughter in her 20's she never got into or liked soaps. GH has been my longest soap I have watched and really struggle to watch cause of mob central. Love almost all of the actors (1 or 2 not so much). Really looking forward to SB being back and hoping I finally get my super couple of Liz (Becky H.) and whoever Steve B is playing.

Edited by shilo0854

• Members

"Celia & Holly" reunited! In April,Sherilyn Wolter (GH,SB,B&B,GL) visited Emma Samms (GH,Dynasty) at her home in England
https://twitter.com/EmmaSamms1/status/850119834742476801

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, people standing, plant, flower and indoor

Wolter looks gorgeous. Maybe it's time ValenVarni wised up and brought her in to fill in the empty rooms at the Quartermaine mansion! Oh wait, the viewers might enjoy that. Nevermind 1f923.png🤣1f923.png🤣1f923.png🤣 #time fora change@GH...
  •  

• Members

I came upon some old GH credits recently on youtube. I listed them. They are interesting because the cast is credited in chronological order since their 1st contract airdate (or return airdate).

February 9th 1983

John BERADINO                                               Dr. Steve Hardy                                04/63

Emily McLAUGHLIN                                       Jessie Brewer, R.N.                         04/63

Denise ALEXANDER                                        Dr. Lesley Webber                          02/73

Rachel AMES                                                    Audrey Hardy, R.N.                         mid 73

Peter HANSEN                                                 Lee Baldwin                                       12/76

Chris ROBINSON                                             Dr. Rick Webber                              01/77

Susan BROWN                                                  Dr. Gail Baldwin                               02/77

Leslie CHARLESON                                          Dr. Monica Quartermaine           08/77

Stuart DAMON                                                Alan Quartermaine                        09/77

Lieux DRESSLER                                                Alice Grant                                         01/78

Frank MAXWELL                                              Dan Rooney                                      02/78

Gail Rae CARLSON                                          Susan Moore                                    03/78

Todd DAVIS                                                       Bryan Phillips                                    08/78

David LEWIS                                                      Edward Quartermaine                  09-10/78

Anthony GEARY                                               Luke Spencer                                    11/78

Bianca FERGUSON                                         Claudia Phillips                                 12/78

Norma CONNOLLY                                          Ruby Anderson                                08/79

Shell KEPLER                                                     Amy Vining, R.N.                             08/79

Loanne BISHOP                                                Rose Kelly                                           02/80

Robin MATTSON                                             Heather Webber                             04/80

Bob HASTING                                                   Cpt. Ramsey                                      mid 80

Tristan ROGERS                                               Scorpio                                                12/80

Rick SPRINGFIELD                                           Dr. Noah Drake                                03/81

Sharon WYATT                                                 Tiffany Hill                                          07/81

Kin SHRINER                                                      Scotty Baldwin                                 11/81

Anna LEE                                                             Lila Quartermaine                           12/81 (recurring previously)

Demi MOORE                                                   Jackie Templeton                            01/82

John STAMOS                                                   Blackie                                                 01/82

Emma SAMMS                                                 Holly                                                     06/82

Gerald GORDON                                             Mark Dante                                       08/82

Jacklyn ZEMAN                                                Bobbie Spencer, R.N.                     11/82

Steve BOND                                                      Jimmy Lee Holt                                 01/83

Brian Patrick CLARK                                       Grant Putnam                                   01/83

Danielle VON ZERNECK                                 Lou                                                        01/83

Out within the year :

> Rick Springfield (Noah Drake) : February 1983

> Gail Rae Carlson (Susan Moore) : February 1983

> Lieux Dressler (Alice Grant) : June 1983

> Gerald Gordon (Mark Dante) : July 1983

> Robin Mattson (Heather Grant) : September 1983

> Kin Shriner (Scotty Baldwin) : October 1983

> Anthony Geary (Luke Spencer) : December 1983

February 8th 1984

John BERADINO                                               Dr. Steve Hardy                                04/63

Emily McLAUGHLIN                                       Jessie Brewer, R.N.                         04/63

Denise ALEXANDER                                        Dr. Lesley Webber                          02/73

Rachel AMES                                                    Audrey Hardy, R.N.                         mid 73

Peter HANSEN                                                 Lee Baldwin                                       12/76

Chris ROBINSON                                             Dr. Rick Webber                              01/77

Susan BROWN                                                  Dr. Gail Baldwin                               02/77

Leslie CHARLESON                                          Dr. Monica Quartermaine           08/77

Stuart DAMON                                                Alan Quartermaine                        09/77

Frank MAXWELL                                              Dan Rooney                                      02/78

Todd DAVIS                                                       Bryan Phillips                                    08/78

David LEWIS                                                      Edward Quartermaine                  09-10/78

Bianca FERGUSON                                         Claudia Phillips                                 12/78

Norma CONNOLLY                                          Ruby Anderson                                08/79

Shell KEPLER                                                     Amy Vining, R.N.                             08/79

Loanne BISHOP                                                Rose Kelly                                           02/80

Bob HASTING                                                   Capt. Ramsey                                   mid 80

Tristan ROGERS                                               Robert Scorpio                                 12/80

Sharon WYATT                                                 Tiffany Hill                                          07/81

Anna LEE                                                             Lila Quartermaine                           12/81 (recurring previously)

Demi MOORE                                                   Jackie Templeton                            01/82

John STAMOS                                                   Blackie                                                 01/82

Emma SAMMS                                                 Holly                                                     06/82

Jacklyn ZEMAN                                                Bobbie Spencer, R.N.                     11/82

Steve BOND                                                      Jimmy Lee Holt                                 01/83

Brian Patrick CLARK                                       Grant Putnam                                   01/83

Danielle VON ZERNECK                                 Lou                                                        01/83

Sherilyn WOLTER                                             Celia Quartermaine                        03/83

Sam BEHRENS                                                  Jake Meyer                                        04/83

David GROH                                                      D.L. Brock                                           04/83

Elissa LEEDS                                                       Steffi                                                    01/84

Jack P. WAGNER                                             Frisco Jones                                       01/84

Judith CHAMPAN                                           Ginny Blake                                       01/84

I am wondering about how Rachel Ames came back. I know she left a few times during the first years but she is credited after Denise Alexander so she must have signed a contract in 1973 or after. Same with Peter Hansen who left and came back.

I am surprised about Chris Robinson as I thought he came in 1978 replacing Michael Gregory but he is listed before Susan Brown who joined in February 1977.

Any more information would be welcome.

• Members

Out within the year :

> Denise Alexander (Lesley Webber) : March 1984

> Danielle Von Zerneck (Lou) : April 1984

> Demi Moore (Jackie Templeton) : April 1984

> John Stamos (Blackie) : April 1984

> Elissa Leeds (Steffi) : April 1984

> Sharon Wyatt (Tiffany Hill) : July 1984

> Leanne Bishop (Rose Kelly) : August 1984

> David Groh (D.L. Brock) : January 1985

April 8th 1985

Bob HASTING                                                   Capt. Ramsey                                   mid 80

Tristan ROGERS                                               Robert Scorpio                                 12/80

Sherilyn WOLTER                                             Celia Quartermaine                        03/83

Sam BEHRENS                                                  Jake Meyer                                        04/83

Jack P. WAGNER                                             Frisco Jones                                       01/84

Judith CHAMPAN                                           Ginny Blake                                       01/84

Shelley T. MORGAN                                       Lorena Shape                                    02/84                   

James McNICHOL                                           Josh Clayton                                      03/84

Hillary EDSON                                                   Tania Jones                                       03/84

Brad MAULE                                                     Dr. Anthony Jones                          04/84

Robyn BERNARD                                             Terry Brock                                        09/84

Kristina MALANDRO                                      Felicia Cummings                            09/84

Mark GODDARD                                              Derek Barrington                             10/84

June LOKCHART                                               Maria Ramirez                                  10/84

John REILLY                                                        Sean Donely                                      10/84
Finola HUGHES                                                Anna Devane                                    04/85